Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,716,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I remember being a kid in the back seat and hearing lots of confusing on how I-95 wasn't the NJ Turnpike.
Its tricky some places it is and some places it isnt 95 actually does not really continue even by signage through here (Kind of odd considering I95 being the main N/S East Coast highway does not connect in between NYC and Philly the two largest cities it serves and are very close proximity wise - also there is no Highway that goes directly between NYC and Philly regardless - another sort of odd thing when you think about it

https://www.google.com/#q=I95+missing+link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 PM

406 posts, read 498,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just try following I95 signs between PA and NJ
Quote:
My parents did (from Delaware ) they found Philadelphia when they wanted a route to NYC
Quote:
I remember being a kid in the back seat and hearing lots of confusing on how I-95 wasn't the NJ Turnpike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Its tricky some places it is and some places it isnt 95 actually does not really continue even by signage through here (Kind of odd considering I95 being the main N/S East Coast highway does not connect in between NYC and Philly the two largest cities it serves and are very close proximity wise - also there is no Highway that goes directly between NYC and Philly regardless - another sort of odd thing when you think about it

https://www.google.com/#q=I95+missing+link
LOL thats great...I see this nonsense every day, I work off of one of the "connectors" between I-95 and...well...I-95 (Turnpike), I-195.

Pretty soon once they complete the interchange between I-276 and I-95 on the PA side, I hear they're going to route I-95 from Philly this way over the Penna Turnpike/NJ Turnpike Extension over to exit 6 on the Turnpike, which will be the continuation of I-95. The current I-95 route north of I-276 at this point will become either a continuation of I-295 from Ewing, or possibly I-195 from Trenton. I believe I-276 will simply end at this intersection.

Going south my whole life this never really affected us, as we just took the Turnpike straight down to the Delaware Memorial Bridge to bypass Philly and then met up with I-95 down just south of Wilmington, Delaware. Basically similar to how I take I-895 or even I-695 to completely bypass Baltimore.

I-95 through Philly isn't terrible though if you're going somewhere in the city, and I use it quite often when I need my south Philly cheesesteak fix lol.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,836,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Places like the Can of Worms in Rochester and Malfunction Junction in Dayton didn't gain those names through their good design.
I love it. I forgot all about the Can.

Quote:
Forever known as “The Can,” the complicated interchange featured confusing, short weaving distances. The Can was soon overwhelmed with cars.

The Can of Worms was rebuilt from 1987 to 1991 at a cost of more than $100 million. That’s more than $200 million in today’s dollars, a staggering amount of money to fix a boo-boo. There were other costs associated with Rochester’s fast-growing highway system of the 1960s. The neighborhood immediately surrounding The Can, is very disjointed. East and University are all kinds of messed up where they were realigned. The expressways facilitated suburban growth from which the city still hasn’t recovered.

Now the state plans to fix the “Western Can of Worms” at 390 and 490 at a cost of $140 million. The state also plans to build an interchange and make surrounding improvements at 390 and Kendrick at a cost of $100 million. The first project is likely a necessary fix. As for the second project, I question the University of Rochester’s dire need for an exit ramp.

Let’s hope those projects don’t end up on the civic disaster list. We can ill afford to untangle another Can of Worms.
Debacle of the Can of Worms » The Rochesterian

Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,000,836 times
Pshh. Those freeways are nothing. Try and figure this one out:

San Diego I-15 Interchange

Worst interchange design.-screen-shot-2014-03-12-5.16.33

Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,696,284 times
Looks like an incomplete stack interchange. Traffic going from route 94 to I-805 (or vice versa) takes route 15, so only 6 ramps are needed instead of 8.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
Here is a crazy town intersection in Berkeley, CA

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8783...e4gxnnRigg!2e0

So what isn't so obvious from this image, where the green car is headed up the street, is the easiest route to Target from the south. And where the stops signs are, is a route that is parallel to the freeway for a few miles, so people use it as an alternate route to the Bay Bridge. And there is a second parallel street at the far end of the intersection, past the other on ramp.

Anyway it is a disaster, and pedestrians are there quite often.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
But as for a more normal interchange? The Macarthur Maze is always fun! This is 5 miles up from the street view I posted.

Source: Oakland Wiki
Attached Thumbnails
Worst interchange design.-bb920d7abb950c316c646493acc5e4e3-2.jpg  

Old 03-12-2014, 08:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,098,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Here is one from Albany, NY (near where I live now) that is absurd.
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=42.69...42272&t=k&z=15
This one is actually not so unreasonable when you consider what's happening.

This is the point where I-87 and I-90 meet. I-90 to the West, and I-87 to the South, make up the NY Thruway, and are toll roads.

The section of I-90 to the East is not a toll road, and I-87 to the North is not a toll road.

The odd layout is to have a single toll interchange, but it works pretty well in my experience?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 PM

6,002 posts, read 8,986,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
This one is actually not so unreasonable when you consider what's happening.

This is the point where I-87 and I-90 meet. I-90 to the West, and I-87 to the South, make up the NY Thruway, and are toll roads.

The section of I-90 to the East is not a toll road, and I-87 to the North is not a toll road.

The odd layout is to have a single toll interchange, but it works pretty well in my experience?
why did they start to connect Northern 87 to Southern 87, but then cut it off and turn it into an exit near the mall? They make northbound Traffic go West then u-turn back around onto 90.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:46 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,114,648 times
If you're doing Albany, this one's a little crazier, but it doesn't look as impressive from the air. You see it in the movie _Salt_, right after Angeline Jolie jumps off the Library of Congress patio.

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=42.66...33045&t=k&z=15

Quote:
why did they start to connect Northern 87 to Southern 87, but then cut it off and turn it into an exit near the mall? They make northbound Traffic go West then u-turn back around onto 90.
Northbound traffic goes west to go through the tollbooths, then back east to get onto the Northway. Although typically if you're going far on the Northway you take 787 and then go across on 7. The part of the Northway south of the I-90 (with exits to the mall) isn't I-87. As millerm mentioned, this is all to make a single toll interchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning