Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

Or are there other reasons like more individualism and car culture in the South compared to the West and East (Southern California has famously a reputation for a "car culture" too and it seems like public transit is still more mainstream there than in the South)?

I just perceive public transit to be less available in the South (besides college towns) than elsewhere (even in the Sunbelt areas in the SW). Is this a fair impression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Southern California had the best public transit system in the world, once. Lots of Southern cities had great streetcar systems--New Orleans never stopped using theirs. I don't see how transit use has anything to do with "individualism."

Old 03-30-2014, 10:51 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times
But it seems like the South today has the least public transit use or public transit available. I noticed of all the regions, people in the South are more perplexed as to why anyone would voluntarily choose to use a bus to get around in a town.

Even places that urbanized equally as late in the West or West coast or even later seem to have transit a bit more. For instance, more transit use in Vegas or Phoenix than Nashville, from the stats.

Actually, it seems like the Southeast uses public transit the least. Anyone have any idea why? Is it just urbanization?

To be fair I'm basing my impression partly on firsthand experience but since I haven't been riding public transit in all the places I've visited, I'm also basing it on what some people I hear tell me regarding it and also what stats I see for transit use.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 PM

I don't think so--a lot of the cities of the South were centuries old when the West Coast's major cities were farm towns.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I don't think so--a lot of the cities of the South were centuries old when the West Coast's major cities were farm towns.
The West Coast cities caught up in size a while back though. In terms of % increase post-WWII, I suspect Southern cities grew more. The exceptions being mostly small cities and towns.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Southern areas tend to have little density outside if the city and plenty of available land for sprawl. Sure Charleston has dense pockets, but a few miles out if the city is trees.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Southern areas tend to have little density outside if the city and plenty of available land for sprawl. Sure Charleston has dense pockets, but a few miles out if the city is trees.
I think an element is that they have less "choke points" that limit sprawl.

San Francisco's a peninsula, Seattle has the Puget Sound and Lake Washington, in NYC Manhattan is an island and none of the boroughs have unimpeded 360 degree access (and the NJ "Gold Coast" is similarly isolated from NJ). Boston has similar cutoffs on ~2.5 sides of the city.

In places where this isn't the case so much, like in LA, or even Philadelphia, you see much more sprawl.

In my home of NJ for example, we can't all drive into Manhattan, because there's only 3 river crossings. That's the real limiter. Up until the river crossing, there's no real insurmountable issue for me to commute into NYC every day from 50 miles outside the city by car, even at rush hour it isn't too bad to get there. But then I'll have to sit in traffic for an hour to make it through the last couple miles to actually cross. So these couple crossings, entirely negate the tendency to drive in that all the highway construction elsewhere would encourage.

SF is another great example. Only so many people can get across the Golden Gate or Bay Bridge. If the delays there are too long to stomach, there's no more sprawl to develop that way unless people are going to use transit to get in.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Western cities with or without barriers never are much denser than southern cities. Check the urban density comparisons thread. Atlanta is much less dense than western cities, with houses with big yards not far from the city center. Too low for transit to be useful. Texan cities are denser, I suspect in general they're less pedestrian friendly.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:05 PM

Aren't those choke points a coastal thing, rather than a western vs. eastern thing? How are coastal cities in the Southeast? Or "western" cities with lots of room to sprawl, like Phoenix, Bakersfield, Salt Lake City, Denver?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:25 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Or are there other reasons like more individualism and car culture in the South compared to the West and East (Southern California has famously a reputation for a "car culture" too and it seems like public transit is still more mainstream there than in the South)?
There’s an element of classism/racism as well. Transit is perceived to be the domain of the poor, minorities, or both. MARTA in Atlanta was specifically routed to avoid white neighbourhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning