Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 AM

92,143 posts, read 122,355,529 times

Advertisements

After reading the OP again, even on the West Coast there is a history of tensions like the Watts Riots, Inglewood was actually a Klan town and had a very low Black population as late as 1960 or so, Seattle had restrictive housing covenants, as did Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 01:54 PM

334 posts, read 452,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There were certainly some active in Oklahoma in the early 70s. My school played ball games in some of them. Get on the bus, go to the gym, get off the bus, play the game, get back on the bus, get the hell out of town. Make no stops.

Sundown towns are still around. There are also invisible demarcated lines of where sundown towns begin and end that only it's arbitrators know about but the intended targets and victims don't know about it.

It makes me sick to my stomach to see that sundown towns still exist. Some people don't even know about the history of sundown towns. Smh

Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 PM

92,143 posts, read 122,355,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post

Sundown towns are still around. There are also invisible demarcated lines of where sundown towns begin and end that only it's arbitrators know about but the intended targets and victims don't know about it.

It makes me sick to my stomach to see that sundown towns still exist. Some people don't even know about the history of sundown towns. Smh
This has information on the subject: Sundown Towns by James W. Loewen

Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
Not buying the "Sundown Town" website. Looked up my state -- it lists Llewellyn Park. Llewellyn Park was never a sundown town. It's not even a town, it's a gated housing development. I'm sure back in the day the only black people who were allowed within the gates were servants and laborers, but the day is long past and today Whoopi Goldberg owns a house there (from which she evicted an old white woman for not paying her lease). There wouldn't have been any lynchings within the development; it would have been considered unsavory.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:07 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,203,538 times
It looks like the site details various places where exclusion was in some way structural--like the city of Eureka, CA, where a gunfight between two Chinese that accidentally killed a white member of their city council resulted in a countywide expulsion of Chinese (aside from one cook who was hidden on a ranch near McKinleyville) that lasted for years. If Llewellyn Park was the first "gated community" as the site claims, were the gates intended to keep particular people out?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:11 PM

28,574 posts, read 18,589,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Not buying the "Sundown Town" website. Looked up my state -- it lists Llewellyn Park. Llewellyn Park was never a sundown town. It's not even a town, it's a gated housing development. I'm sure back in the day the only black people who were allowed within the gates were servants and laborers, but the day is long past and today Whoopi Goldberg owns a house there (from which she evicted an old white woman for not paying her lease). There wouldn't have been any lynchings within the development; it would have been considered unsavory.
Yes, it's 'way off. For instance, it's got a couple of places in Oklahoma that were not only not sundown towns--they were historically black settlements. It's got Lawton as "not a sundown town as of 1990"...when Lawton has been a historic location for black soldiers since the days of the Buffalo Soldiers. Sapulpa OK is racist as hell (they made the news when Obama was first elected because the newspaper refused to report it), and it was in Sapulpa that I sat in my last segregated movie theater on July 20, 1969. But blacks were living there, and had been for decades.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
The sundown town thing is real. There is a local comedian who talks about being the first black family in a former sundown town next to Oakland, San Leandro.

http://www.briancopeland.com/e-press...le_5-30-04.pdf

Here is a story about his stage play on his experiences growing up.

My dad's town is still segregated now, even a few years ago I know about a woman (black) who got flack for moving in the white part in like 2003.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The sundown town thing is real. There is a local comedian who talks about being the first black family in a former sundown town next to Oakland, San Leandro.

http://www.briancopeland.com/e-press...le_5-30-04.pdf

Here is a story about his stage play on his experiences growing up.

My dad's town is still segregated now, even a few years ago I know about a woman (black) who got flack for moving in the white part in like 2003.
Sundown towns are real (at least they were as of the 1970s) but the information at that particular link is spotty enough to render it unreliable.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Sundown towns are real (at least they were as of the 1970s) but the information at that particular link is spotty enough to render it unreliable.
Well this guy wrote a whole book on his experience. At this point I don't remember what I read, since it was several years ago, but you can go to his main site for more in the stage play based on his book.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well this guy wrote a whole book on his experience. At this point I don't remember what I read, since it was several years ago, but you can go to his main site for more in the stage play based on his book.
I didn't mean your link, I meant the link on post #93.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning