Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

What about Blade Runner? There's some urban planning run amok there. Or Soylent Green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
Or, rather, maybe not enough planning? The fundamental lesson of Make Room! Make Room! (the science fiction novel that inspired Soylent Green) was overpopulation and environmental collapse as a result of a lack of family planning (in the form of birth control.)

Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM

104 posts, read 175,103 times
A Canadian film called waydowntown, about characters living in Calgary, whose downtown consists of buildings interconnected by indoor skywalks. The characters make a bet about who can survive the longest without ever going outside.

Waydowntown (2000) - IMDb

Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Most of the films posted here have been fictional, using issues associated with some type of settlement pattern as the setting or background of the story, or just to add atmosphere. I'm guessing that films that focus mainly on the subject of urban planning are hard to find. It could be difficult, though maybe not impossible, to make a gripping story about how a city, town, or suburb is planned. Cool that someone has posted about a film that does deal directly with this subject.

I don't know of any, but I wonder whether there might be a film about a neighborhood where the residents are trying to fight attempts at "urban renewal" which threaten to break apart their community. That premise would have potential as a story.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:13 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Passport to Pimlico (sp) has that theme. There's another old black and white movie with a boisterous family in an old house who won't sell out to developers. I seem to recall the daughter falls in love with the developer but forget the ending.

On the theme of rural removal, Local Hero is a wonderful movie about a fishing village threatened by an oil company.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
Do short YouTube films count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywo_...507E3A178AFE93

Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
not quite urban planning but car culture. The movie American Graffiti shows American teenager car culture in the early 60s (or an exagerrated version of it): socializing in their cars, meeting boys/girls, showing off their cars, even stopping next to other cars to talk.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
not quite urban planning but car culture. The movie American Graffiti shows American teenager car culture in the early 60s (or an exagerrated version of it): socializing in their cars, meeting boys/girls, showing off their cars, even stopping next to other cars to talk.
Not so exaggerated. "Bugging State" (Street) was a rite of passage in my hometown, in addition to driving over the state line into New York to buy alcohol. It was very much like American Graffiti. The gathering spot was the Public Dock (now known as Dobbins Landing because pranksters kept prying the L loose from the sign), where we'd drive in circles (at 50 cents a gallon), park, meet people from other parts of town, honk horns, blare music from our AM radios, and do other things teenagers do.

Tons of movies about car culture, from The Love Bug to The Gumball Rally.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
LOL. One of my high school friends ran out of gas once while cruising in circles. Was broke and I guess waited too late. Or so I was told. But did you stop in the middle of the road to talk the passengers in the neighboring car?

I had to think for a bit how you would be near the NY state line. Wow. And I realized you were right at the "other end" of the state from "my part".

Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
LOL. One of my high school friends ran out of gas once while cruising in circles. Was broke and I guess waited too late. Or so I was told. But did you stop in the middle of the road to talk the passengers in the neighboring car?
Of course! Especially if the guys were cute.

Quote:
I had to think for a bit how you would be near the NY state line. Wow. And I realized you were right at the "other end" of the state from "my part".
From my parents' house, I could get to the state line in 15 minutes. Conveniently, there was a bar and a carryout about 15 yards past the state line. LOL There was a pretty sizeable group of night clubs, too, in the towns around Chatauqua Lake. Some nights it was a miracle we got home alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning