Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:45 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,449,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Ain't that the truth, a skyscraper doesn't have to be disconnected to the street level.
All skyscrapers are connected to the street level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan
Skyscrapers create awkward, unnatural social situations
A skyscraper is an inanimate object. Hard to see how it would create an "unnatural social situation".

Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
All skyscrapers are connected to the street level!
You live in an unincorporated area and I doubt you have a degree in architecture or urban planning, so I am not surprised you think that, but that would be incorrect.

The Wells Fargo tower in Portland lacks street connection, there is only a limited entrance into the building and no retail anywhere along the first floor.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lky9jtk76C1qdnrvz.jpg

The Fox Tower in Portland on the other hand is well connected to the street with retail on all four sides making it have a direct connection to its surroundings.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...on_in_2012.JPG

Last edited by nei; 04-13-2014 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: copyright violations

Old 04-12-2014, 11:41 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,449,996 times
Quote:
You live in an unincorporated area and I doubt you have a degree in architecture or urban planning, so I am not surprised you think that, but that would be incorrect.
Is "urban planning" a degree? Puhlease. You don't need a degree in architecture or "urban planning" to know that skyscrapers and every other building are connected to the street. Of course, now is the time where you will start re-defining words like "connected".

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78
The Wells Fargo tower in Portland lacks street connection, there is only a limited entrance into the building and no retail anywhere along the first floor.
There aren't any skyhooks holding the building up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78
The Fox Tower in Portland on the other hand is well connected to the street with retail on all four sides making it have a direct connection to its surroundings.
It would be "connected" regardless of existence or type of retail.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Is "urban planning" a degree? Puhlease. You don't need a degree in architecture or "urban planning" to know that skyscrapers and every other building are connected to the street. Of course, now is the time where you will start re-defining words like "connected".

There aren't any skyhooks holding the building up.

It would be "connected" regardless of existence or type of retail.
Yes, one can get a degree in Urban Planning....as well as Architecture. I have a degree in Architecture and minored in Urban Planning. Clearly you think "connected" means literally, as if disconnected must mean the building is somehow floating in space. That would be an incorrect thought you are having.

Clearly you have no idea what I am talking about, or you do and you are trying to create some sort of absurd bickering. Either way, it is beginner terminology in Urban Planning and Architecture, which this happens to be an Urban Planning forum, something you have stated many times you have no interest in, yet you keep posting in a forum section that you say you have no interest in.....which is a contradiction.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:11 AM

21,821 posts, read 25,094,690 times
It's hipster urbanism where the economy revolves around retail consumption of useless trinkets and overpriced fusion food. What, no Apple Store? Can't be connected.

Bank of America Tower has been a focus for various protest groups lately. It's pretty connected to the street level.

portland imc - 2012.02.29 - Riot police employed during F29 ALEC protest in Portland

Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's hipster urbanism where the economy revolves around retail consumption of useless trinkets and overpriced fusion food. What, no Apple Store? Can't be connected.

Bank of America Tower has been a focus for various protest groups lately. It's pretty connected to the street level.

portland imc - 2012.02.29 - Riot police employed during F29 ALEC protest in Portland
Most of what you do each day is retail consumption. This isn't some "hipster urbanism" it is a real thing when it comes to architecture and the built environment.

Oh and it's the Wells Fargo Tower, not the Bank of America Tower, those photos weren't even close to where the Bank of America Tower is.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Most of what you do each day is retail consumption. This isn't some "hipster urbanism" it is a real thing when it comes to architecture and the built environment.

Oh and it's the Wells Fargo Tower, not the Bank of America Tower, those photos weren't even close to where the Bank of America Tower is.
No. I spend maybe an hour a day on retail consumption. The other 23+ hours is spent on more important things, like sleep, picking the lint out of my belly button. No offense to those whose lives revolve around retail consumption, it's just not something I have any interest in or spend a lot of time on. I do like going out to eat, just not generally at overpriced fusion places in premium locations. Hole in the walls usually have much better food at lower prices since they don't need to cover expensive rent and can't rely on location alone to bring in the customers.

And you're right, wrong building. I did, however, look to see what the Bank of America tower looked like on street view. Ground floor has quite a bit or retail, outdoor cafe seating.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5179..._XZT88TgTA!2e0

In my non-expert economics degree working in the legal sector layman opinion, it looks pretty connected.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I watched a early report on a study of influence on BBC the other night. It showed what I would expect I US; that local culture and things where most important has to how people saw themselves. I imgine its has a lot to do with personal taste and preference. also.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No. I spend maybe an hour a day on retail consumption. The other 23+ hours is spent on more important things, like sleep, picking the lint out of my belly button. No offense to those whose lives revolve around retail consumption, it's just not something I have any interest in or spend a lot of time on. I do like going out to eat, just not generally at overpriced fusion places in premium locations. Hole in the walls usually have much better food at lower prices since they don't need to cover expensive rent and can't rely on location alone to bring in the customers.

And you're right, wrong building. I did, however, look to see what the Bank of America tower looked like on street view. Ground floor has quite a bit or retail, outdoor cafe seating.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5179..._XZT88TgTA!2e0

In my non-expert economics degree working in the legal sector layman opinion, it looks pretty connected.
That sounds like quite the boring life or the life of a cat. So because you don't like going to expensive restaurants means that no one else likes going to expensive restaurants? Also, what does your taste in food have to do with this?

Yes, the Bank of America building in Portland has a much better design to make it more connected to its surroundings at street level.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
That sounds like quite the boring life or the life of a cat. So because you don't like going to expensive restaurants means that no one else likes going to expensive restaurants? Also, what does your taste in food have to do with this?

Yes, the Bank of America building in Portland has a much better design to make it more connected to its surroundings at street level.
As I said, no offense to those that define their lives by retail therapy. I don't personally feel it necessary to attack people who do by calling them boring, although truth be told I do generally find them to be shallow. For you personally, I would add overly defensive and poor reading comprehension and poor logical skills. And yes, I don't particularly like expensive restaurants. There's no inference that other people don't like to dine at overpriced fusion restaurants. It says what it means: I don't personally like overpriced fusion restaurants. I also don't like anchovies. There's no great meaning to my dislike of anchovies. I really just don't like anchovies. You can infer all sorts of crazy things from anything. For example, since pizza often has anchovies, you could infer that I don't like pizza. You would be wrong. Poor logical skills and reading comprehension frequently leads to erroneous inferences.

It's fine if you do just like to dine at expensive fusion restaurants. Likewise, it's fine if retail shopping is the most important aspect of your life and the one you spend most of your time on. Different strokes for different folks. There's just not what's important to me. Naturally, I tend not to care that much that every block have lots of overpriced restaurants fusion restaurants (personally, I prefer more authentic ethnic) or lots of trendy boutiques. Neither of those things interest me very much since I'm just going to walk right by the Urban Outfitters without giving it much of a look anyway. I'm more interested in the historic stage coach at the Wells Fargo Center in Portland than I am by the fact that I can buy a Pendleton shirt there. YMMV.

Wells Fargo is connected on three sides. While it does have a blank wall on one side, it's still quite connected. Again, that's in my boring life of a cat layman's opinion.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-13-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.