Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ Turnpike VS. Tri-State tollway (I 294).
NJ Turnpike 4 66.67%
Tri State Tollway 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

Which artery would you rather drive on for the entire stretch given these 2 choices. Having driven on both highways, I would still choose the turnpike. There is nothing more amazing than seeing a 14 lane highway parallel a runway and freight train line.

Parallel action between 3 modes of transportation rocks .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
I've never been on the tri-state tollway so I can't comment but having spent a good chunk of my life in NJ I always thought it was a waste that the State owns these massive ROWs (in the most densely populated state in the country) and none of the ROW is give over to freight or passenger rail.

The Turnpike connects NYC with Newark, New Brunswick, Trenton, Philly and Wilmington. The AC Expressway connects AC with Philly and the Parkway connects AC with the rest of the Shore, Newark/North Jersey/NYC.

The Turnpike is an especially busy freight corridor with 85-90% of freight leaving Port Elizabeth/Newark on the back of a truck (because the rail connections are pathetic). The Parkway is off-limits to trucks for a lot of its length so that truck traffic winds up on Routes 1/9/35/etc and the volume of passenger traffic is mind-boggling especially between Toms River and Paramus.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
is 294 the road from O'hare or deerfield to Milwaukee?

If so will say the NJTP as 294 is even more boring definitely less busy, though does not have the cool rest stop that traverses the highway up by waukegan and the bears training facility before you hit Abott or abvie or whatever they call it these days

Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 PM

you also forgot the port on the modes by exit 14abcd

and the famous have a great day oil thing made famous by the sapranos

still for the life of me cant understand why the NJTP does not connect with 42 or 295 in South Jersey and the 295/42 interchange is a dumb design to begin with

Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
still for the life of me cant understand why the NJTP does not connect with 42 or 295 in South Jersey and the 295/42 interchange is a dumb design to begin with
The latter is easy - 42 was built first and 295 came later and fed into it. The part of 295 south of 42 was an afterthought and had really low traffic counts for a long time (still does, actually) so they just made the connection on the cheap.

In any case, they've already started work on redesigning the interchange so that 295 will go over 42.

The former is a little more difficult. The Turnpike was built long before 42 and where 42 crosses the Turnpike is in the middle of a swamp and creek so I'm guessing that's part of the reason there's no connection there. The other part is that the traffic from the Turnpike would've overwhelmed the nearby 295/42 interchange - which is already the 2nd or 3rd busiest in NJ.

But I still don't understand why 90/73 was never extended to exit 4. If I'm on the Turnpike headed back to Philly I usually take exit 4 then the Betsy Ross or I jump on 295 to the Walt.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
The latter is easy - 42 was built first and 295 came later and fed into it. The part of 295 south of 42 was an afterthought and had really low traffic counts for a long time (still does, actually) so they just made the connection on the cheap.

In any case, they've already started work on redesigning the interchange so that 295 will go over 42.

The former is a little more difficult. The Turnpike was built long before 42 and where 42 crosses the Turnpike is in the middle of a swamp and creek so I'm guessing that's part of the reason there's no connection there. The other part is that the traffic from the Turnpike would've overwhelmed the nearby 295/42 interchange - which is already the 2nd or 3rd busiest in NJ.

But I still don't understand why 90/73 was never extended to exit 4. If I'm on the Turnpike headed back to Philly I usually take exit 4 then the Betsy Ross or I jump on 295 to the Walt.
well I alway take 90 to 73 to the NJTP - am up in N Jersey probably twice a week for work - even with the lights on 73 and construction on 95 its still better - probably will be better than NJTP 6 to the PATP to 95 after connected

Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
I've never been on the tri-state tollway so I can't comment but having spent a good chunk of my life in NJ I always thought it was a waste that the State owns these massive ROWs (in the most densely populated state in the country) and none of the ROW is give over to freight or passenger rail.
The Northeast Corridor NJ Transit / Amtrak line is roughly parellel to the Turnpike, south of New Brunswick a bit further but population is lower further south. It'd make no sense to have a duplicate line, the current NJ Transit is one of the faster and better served regional lines in the country. It doesn't carry much in the way of freight but there might be other routes available.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Northeast Corridor NJ Transit / Amtrak line is roughly parellel to the Turnpike, south of New Brunswick a bit further but population is lower further south. It'd make no sense to have a duplicate line, the current NJ Transit is one of the faster and better served regional lines in the country. It doesn't carry much in the way of freight but there might be other routes available.
below 9 to 4 it is pretty barren actually

Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well I alway take 90 to 73 to the NJTP - am up in N Jersey probably twice a week for work - even with the lights on 73 and construction on 95 its still better - probably will be better than NJTP 6 to the PATP to 95 after connected
well, living in South Philly the Betsy Ross can be a serious pain at certain times of day. Basically a crawl from the bridge down to Vine St.

Not that the Walt is much better but it feels quicker.

But you know what I mean about how 90 just kind of ends at 73 when they only had, what 2 miles to go to connect it to the Turnpike?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
well, living in South Philly the Betsy Ross can be a serious pain at certain times of day. Basically a crawl from the bridge down to Vine St.

Not that the Walt is much better but it feels quicker.

But you know what I mean about how 90 just kind of ends at 73 when they only had, what 2 miles to go to connect it to the Turnpike?

well I live in Bella Vista and still find 90 and the Betsy better heading north

agree 90 would have been great to be extended and extended to 309 west from 95 and the Betsy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning