Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is what I call linear walkability/urbanity. You start out with a built environment that's more pedestrian-scaled.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Los+A...12,111.28,,0,0
Uh... that is not pedestrian-scaled. That is a 7-lane street. In some places, they call that a highway or freeway.

Go look at streets in Tokyo for pedestrian-scaled streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 02:45 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
This is what I call linear walkability/urbanity. You start out with a built environment that's more pedestrian-scaled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Uh... that is not pedestrian-scaled. That is a 7-lane street. In some places, they call that a highway or freeway.

Human-scaled? lol. Looks more like skid row to me, and more scaled to the automobile. Hollywood Blvd doesn't look walkable at all, except maybe to the army of destitute persons, junkies and streetwalkers that it seems to attract in great numbers. So much for Hollywood glamour and glitz. I guess that's why they call it make-believe, because in reality the place is a cesspool.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:11 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:

But then you don't have to go too far before the built environment changes.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Los+A...157.5,,0,17.57
I wouldn't call that pedestrian scaled, but it also isn't the worst offender for walkability either.

This is a local street for me that used to be a streetcar turnaround. It is pretty ped friendly. Where the school bus is, is pretty close to the turning point. They restriped the street last year for a bike lane. It was already super wide, but unnecessarily so. Cars tended to travel slowly anyway, since there were so many "hazards" for driving fast.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8258...xqQAQY3S-A!2e0

This is another former streetcar route:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8508...8Q!2e0!6m1!1e1

This is the victorian business district area, happily a lot of these buildings were left in tact but there is surface parking mixed in. Streets are pretty narrow and there is good street landscaping:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ol...c2912fae88e2ee

This is in a suburb nearby:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...4c63ea1efcc0e8
It is a weird combo of strip malls and old school main street. This is one of the new strip malls around the corner from that:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...f9e0c2cac6ee50
On the right is the container store. It is a typical big box layout, but they broke up the windows and finishings more so it doesn't feel like it takes up the whole block, when it does. Walnut Creek did a good job of making the downtown big box stores not feel so big box-y. Many of the streets are still pretty car oriented, but it is pleasant enough to walk around most of it. I still park once and walk more, even if my goals are to go to Cost Plus, Macy's, Container Store and other large format stores.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Not quite on topic for the thread, but on the topic of good public space for pedestrians, London is building a building a pedestrian only bridge flanked with gardens:

Garden Bridge

An urban version of our local "Bridge of Flowers"

Home - Bridge of Flowers, Shelburne Falls, MA

Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
A street doesn't have to be a one-lane urban canyon to be walkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Human-scaled? lol. Looks more like skid row to me, and more scaled to the automobile. Hollywood Blvd doesn't look walkable at all, except maybe to the army of destitute persons, junkies and streetwalkers that it seems to attract in great numbers. So much for Hollywood glamour and glitz. I guess that's why they call it make-believe, because in reality the place is a cesspool.
You need to get out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Oooh, me likey. That sort of garden totally should happen on the Purple People Bridge in Cincinnati. Last time I was there all I saw were concrete planters - better than nothing, but a garden would be way cool.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Not quite on topic for the thread, but on the topic of good public space for pedestrians, London is building a building a pedestrian only bridge flanked with gardens:

Garden Bridge

Love the London plan. The Bridge of Flowers is quite beautiful as is Shelburne Falls. One of my favorite places to take a motorcycle day trip, especially in the spring and early fall.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

Garden Bridge

Love the bridge of flowers.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:

That is a 4 lane street with a turn lane in the middle....not a 7 lane street, unless you are counting the two lanes of parking.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
To me walkable means I can easily do most of my day to day errands and shopping on foot if I choose. Most of what I need is within a couple miles.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:02 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is a 4 lane street with a turn lane in the middle....not a 7 lane street, unless you are counting the two lanes of parking.

But it IS a seven lane street, and all seven are reserved for vehicle traffic. Those parking lanes are intended strictly for automobiles, not pedestrians or cyclists, so they do count as traffic lanes. A lane is a lane, whether it is meant for parked cars or moving cars. It's still a traffic lane (not meant for walking or cycling). and I do see plenty of cars in that google link but no pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning