Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:17 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, I get that, still a bad decision.
In my town the trucks ever stopped in town. The downtown was mostly dead about 10 years before the bypass was put in, and 15 years before walmart arrived. Small town businesspeople were never that good at business. I remember simply putting a vending machine in the high school cafeteria caused the guy who owned the candy store to go out of business. A lot of "main street" businesses were niche and irrelevant to most people's day to day lives. Like the farm implement insurance office, or the print shop, or Army Navy surplus store, or baseball card store. They just happened to be downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:12 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Over the weekend, I had some family business and I headed to my dad's hometown. With this visit I had a new lens. As kids, we never went to "downtown." Knowing how segregated my dad's town still is, I am sure it is a habit based on history more than anything. My dad's town has about 3000 residents. On this visit, I was driving through main street I noticed all the great historic buildings and an old art deco theater. It was like picture perfect Americana (with a bit of decay).

Here is the one cute block: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4511...O7tkNCDoig!2e0

Not this place is so small, the downtown is only a few blocks. And this is a city with no industry and no wealth, so it isn't super well kept, it has a population of roughly 3000 that is in decline. But on the flip side. The nearest "city," the county seat, is about 30 miles away and has a whopping 10000 people. But there you can find the Walmart. And then tack on another 20 miles to get to a megaplex.

So main street is the game in town for miles. The next nearest town, I think it has a stop sign, but I could be wrong, has about 600 people. The other direction is the county seat, with 10k people.

Downtown Andrews has great bones, and pretty nice architecture. And I started to think, what on earth happened? Almost every small town in America had a main street that was similar. It felt unique, had character and served a variety of needs. And somehow, now, all of our shopping centers and strip malls could be anywhere USA. And smaller towns expect they'll need to travel in order to get to the daily necessities. We decided that the mall and the office park were the only place for commercial interests.

And it only took about 2 generations for it to happen.
My mother is from here, not too far away from your dad's hometown: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mulli...52.17,,0,18.22

It has faced a similar fate, like other main streets in the Pee Dee. Mullins has about 5000 people or so.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My mother is from here, not too far away from your dad's hometown: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mulli...52.17,,0,18.22

It has faced a similar fate, like other main streets in the Pee Dee. Mullins has about 5000 people or so.
Do similar size upstate NY towns feel very different in built form (obviously in culture)?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Before this thread gets going any farther, I'd like to say that I think starting a thread with "Why" begs the question.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:21 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do similar size upstate NY towns feel very different in built form (obviously in culture)?
For the most part, I'd say that the towns up here are a little more dense. Here is a streetview of a community that is similar in size to my mom's hometown, but in the Syracuse area: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=baldw...124.56,,0,3.46

What is interesting is that both are the same in terms of land size(about 3 sq. miles), but Baldwinsville has about 2500 more people. So, on the residential level is where there is a difference.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:24 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Before this thread gets going any farther, I'd like to say that I think starting a thread with "Why" begs the question.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I'm saying a preferable title would be "Did we kill our Main Streets". Have you ever seen some of the thread titles on P&OC?

Ex: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...iew-adult.html

Now, is that true? Several people said "no". Is it true that "we" killed our Main Streets?

Here's more:
An OP: //www.city-data.com/forum/34639331-post1.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...epublican.html
My response: //www.city-data.com/forum/33950037-post29.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tizenship.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...system-so.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post29256219
Me:
Quote:
OP, I have long found that any thread that begins "why" is begging the question. I do not think it is universally true that private schools are better than public schools.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...crumbling.html
Me:
Quote:
Always be suspicious of threads that start "Why X, Y, Z". That is begging the question.
Are all these "why" questions true?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Except "did we kill our main streets", if the answer were yes wouldn't answer why they were killed, it would be a different thread. In any case, we're left what the thread title is. Many posters don't frequent P&OC nor have any interest in doing so. As for this thread, I take it you're either trying to say:

1) Small town main street weren't killed off
2) Or you just don't like the thread title

Old 05-07-2014, 03:11 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
Katiana, I could search the entire list of threads and probably find this myself but it's much faster to ask and dinner is ready. What is P&OC, please?

So, instead of asking 'why we killed main street", you think we should first prove that we did. Right? OK. We did! Or, how about asking how we killed main street. Now that sounds better. No? And, no, I am not nettling you. I see exactly what you are saying and it makes perfect sense. We end up answering those question anyway, don't we? How, why, when, etc., The journalism rules of writing taught by the best teacher I had from K through B.A. .

I'd better leave before you shoot me.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

I haven't been to Mullins, if I recall, but I feel like all of the towns over there look pretty similar.

My mom is from here, well outside of town a few miles:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1083...6hQTHlq2zw!2e0

New Bern is a lot bigger, with 30k people, but my mom's community felt way more isolated from town than my dad's did, even though she lived like 7 miles out!

She grew up not far from this street!
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9947...Gg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Last time I was over there is looked much the same, but development was catching up on one side of the community. No main street in here community, more like a corner store and a church served as the activity centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning