Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, they are from immigration. Seems a bit high, but would have to check before assuming. Otherwise, the total of all quartiles would have to be slightly.
It sure as heck is "a bit" high for people 50-68 years old. Most immigrants are young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That does not jibe with "density". Nor does it jibe with the idea that the Boomer market for moving into urban areas (undefined, of course, like many things on this forum) is big. When I/we were in our 20s (different husband) we moved a lot, sometimes yearly, maybe sometimes even twice in a year. In my/our 30s, we moved less often. We bought our first house when I was 33, lived there 5 1/2 years. That was the longest either of us had lived in one place. (He was 34.) Then came a series of moves due to job loss/gain, and when I was 40 and DH 41 we bought this house and have lived here ever since. If we do as our parents did, we'll live here till we have to go to assisted living or nursing home. I do know some women "of a certain age" who are divorced/widowed who downsized, but they didn't move into downtown Denver. Most of them have jobs nearby. You young 'uns forget that most of us Boomers are still working!
My neighborhood has quite a few working boomers: single/divorced/widowed. They wanted to live in a quiet walkable area. Now it is skewing a little younger in my neighborhood too. There used to be critical mass of people roughly late 40s. Now it has shifted a bit to mid-30s. (It is still close to evenly mixed, but the demographics of some of the newer stuff skews younger.)

I definitely think there is a minor trend towards walkability. We have added lots of net new assisted living places and retirement communities right in the middle of the more walkable areas, suburban and urban.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
It sure as heck is "a bit" high for people 50-68 years old. Most immigrants are young.
Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

Overall, the immigrant population in 2012 was older than the U.S.-born population: The median age of immigrants was 42.6 years, compared to 35.9 years among the native born.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

Overall, the immigrant population in 2012 was older than the U.S.-born population: The median age of immigrants was 42.6 years, compared to 35.9 years among the native born.
Well, fine. This discussion was limited to the US population when I made that post. I still think that graph is screwy. Maybe immigrants median age is higher b/c they don't bring their kids right away?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Well, fine. This discussion was limited to the US population when I made that post. I still think that graph is screwy. Maybe immigrants median age is higher b/c they don't bring their kids right away?
I thought of the lack of kids, too, make sense. The link has a detailed age breakdown I'll check later .Reading from the bottom of the link, it says:

Note: The Census reports population estimates by county for five-year age groups. We defined millennials as 20-34 year-olds and boomers as 50-69 year-olds.

So it makes sense that the total is positive, if the population is gaining overall.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:27 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
In terms of boomers moving to the city, the overall percentage doesn't matter, so much as the question if more 50-70 year olds are living in urban neighborhoods today than was the case 10-20 years ago. If the number is higher, overall demand for urban living is also rising among older Americans.

That said, the housing typologies of urban neighborhoods probably restricts where empty nesters congregate. While many people are willing to "age in place" in a multi-story house, most older people I've known who do want to downsize from a family house prefer to limit the number of stairs (either because they have slight mobility issues already, or are anticipating them). This pretty much limits them within urban areas to the first floor of walkups, and larger buildings with elevators. And indeed, in most cities I'm aware of, you find the older population mostly in condo-heavy tower neighborhoods and/or converted warehouse areas. You don't tend to find them in rowhouse or detached single-family-house areas, unless they bought their houses long ago and aged in place.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:41 AM

I think Manhattan walk-ups have some elderly that have aged in place.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I think Manhattan walk-ups have some elderly that have aged in place.
Yeah. NYC's rent control system strongly encourages people to age in place even if the apartment no longer meets their needs. Unless they can luck out and get into an actual subsidized senior apartment of course.

I had a great aunt/uncle who lived in Greenwich Village in a building which was originally set up as an artist co-op. As time went on so many of the tenants became elderly the building hired a full-time social worker to deal with their various needs.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:11 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In terms of boomers moving to the city, the overall percentage doesn't matter, so much as the question if more 50-70 year olds are living in urban neighborhoods today than was the case 10-20 years ago. If the number is higher, overall demand for urban living is also rising among older Americans.
This is not an accurate statement.
How many of those 50-70 year olds simply aged in place to that age? An increase in the number of 50-70 year olds does not necessarily indicate a "rising demand" but rather just that the local population is aging.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
This is not an accurate statement.
How many of those 50-70 year olds simply aged in place to that age? An increase in the number of 50-70 year olds does not necessarily indicate a "rising demand" but rather just that the local population is aging.
I thought it was a given my statement also presupposed that the remainder of the age brackets of the population have to be stagnant to increasing as well. Obviously a neighborhood can undergo a demographic transition, whereby the proportion of elderly rises and the proportion of younger people drops. This is often a result of extreme gentrification several decades out, where a neighborhood has grown so expensive that relatively few younger people can afford to live there, but those who aged in place (or have access to a big lump of capital due to the appreciation of their former home) can still make the economics work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning