Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think its comical....You and I are located in the same city and have seen the same issues; as with DUMBO, etc.

To put it bluntly, I have seen that there have been comments about how a neighborhood should reflect its people. Well, if thats the case then that is exactly what "Christopher Columbus Syndrome " means. The neighborhood wasnt discovered by the new residents. They should embrace the existing neighborhood. A neighborhood name should never be changed; for a specific demographic to move into a neighborhood and change the name is ridiculous. Thats just my .02 Bajan. A pet peave of mine is in the city how tthe old heads whom have been in manhattan state that parts of the Upper West and East sides are actually Lower Harlem. But were taken over when realtors started to advertise areas that had a change in Demographic as NOT Harlem.

What are your thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:38 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
District and neighborhood names typically come from real estate investments. There isn't a point in time where we decided no new neighborhood names can be created. As residents change and areas' identities change, there will always be someone trying to sell it as the "next new thing."

I think it is okay for districts and neighborhoods reflect the people who occupy it. Of course while I say this, I have seen some bad attempts at renaming areas, but I have also seen good attempts at renaming areas.
I agree with all this. As for Christopher Columbus Syndrome, the name itself is off-base since unlike Americans Europeans and Natives didn't speak the same language, and each language has its own name for geographic features*. It should be noted that in recent decades black leaders and whites trying to prove they aren't racist have had by far the worst case of the syndrome, naming seemingly everything they can find after Martin Luther King; there are more roads named after him than Washington. King was a good man and an important historical figure, but so were many other people that had more connection to these localities, and I think it's past time some new names were bestowed other than those from Civil Rights.

*That said, I think it was a huge waste to name seemingly every feature and town after places in Europe when a wealth of unique local indigenous names existed that were more "rooted". I prefer Denali over Mount McKinley and Tacoma over Mount Rainier for this reason, but these were all features well-known and defined in the geography of at most a handful of cultures, which we can't say for the whole continent.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:40 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I think its comical....You and I are located in the same city and have seen the same issues; as with DUMBO, etc.

To put it bluntly, I have seen that there have been comments about how a neighborhood should reflect its people. Well, if thats the case then that is exactly what "Christopher Columbus Syndrome " means. The neighborhood wasnt discovered by the new residents. They should embrace the existing neighborhood. A neighborhood name should never be changed; for a specific demographic to move into a neighborhood and change the name is ridiculous. Thats just my .02 Bajan. A pet peave of mine is in the city how tthe old heads whom have been in manhattan state that parts of the Upper West and East sides are actually Lower Harlem. But were taken over when realtors started to advertise areas that had a change in Demographic as NOT Harlem.

What are your thoughts??
I had to correct someone not that long ago that "SoHa" is still a part of Harlem. I had to go through the process of explaining that it means "South Harlem." Even then, this woman insisted that it wasn't really Harlem.

That's how it begins...

Old 10-01-2014, 09:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I had to correct someone not that long ago that "SoHa" is still a part of Harlem. I had to go through the process of explaining that it means "South Harlem." Even then, this woman insisted that it wasn't really Harlem.

That's how it begins...
Crown Heights is another great example of this. Or should we say ProCro.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Eastern Avenue in Cincinnati ran through the East End of Cincinnati ... until a bunch of rich, downsizing retirees decided they wanted to live closer to downtown, so after their huge, expensive condos went up (displacing working class housing), the retirees decided the stigma of living on Eastern Avenue was too demeaning, so the street was named Riverside Drive. If the neighborhood hasn't been renamed Riverside already, it won't be too much longer.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Commerce City, CO has a very negative connotation to many Denver metro residents (industrial, dog food plant, oil refinery, etc). So when some new housing went up on some previously vacant land annexed to CC, it was called "Reunion". I don't know who is getting back together, but the Reunionites are offended if you suggest they live in CC, which they do.
Reunion, Commerce City, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Crown Heights is another great example of this. Or should we say ProCro.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:24 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If the neighborhood hasn't been renamed Riverside already, it won't be too much longer.
Forgot that there already is a neighborhood on the west side called Riverside. I guess the folks on Eastern Avenue are SOL.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
A pet peave of mine is in the city how tthe old heads whom have been in manhattan state that parts of the Upper West and East sides are actually Lower Harlem. But were taken over when realtors started to advertise areas that had a change in Demographic as NOT Harlem.

What are your thoughts??
The Upper East Side ends at 96th street, the UWS at 110th. That's been true for a long time.

Hell's Kitchen was actually Clinton before it was Hell's Kitchen. "Midtown West" seems to be the new real estate agent name for it; at least it's reasonably accurate.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The Upper East Side ends at 96th street, the UWS at 110th. That's been true for a long time.
Some sources say that the UWS includes Morningside Heights. Even if others don't, it's clear that most people consider MH and Harlem to be two separate and distinct places today, even if that wasn't historically the case.

Quote:
The Upper West Side (including Morningside Heights) covers a large area in upper Manhattan bounded by 59th St on the south, 125th St on the north, the Hudson River on the west, and Central Park and Morningside Park on the east. The area encompasses four distinct Manhattan neighborhoods -- the Upper West Side, Morningside Heights, Bloomingdale, and Manhattan Valley -- and includes one of its finest parks, Riverside Park, which runs along the river all the way from 59th to 125th Sts.
Upper West Side travel guide - Wikitravel

Quote:
The Upper West Side is bounded on the south by 59th Street, Central Park to the east, and the Hudson River to the west. Its northern boundary is somewhat less obvious. Although it has historically been cited as 110th Street, which fixes the neighborhood alongside Central Park, it is now sometimes considered to be 125th Street, encompassing Morningside Heights.
Upper West Side - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning