Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:18 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's not what wburg said though. Here's what he said: "leveling multiple city blocks to create parking". Where'd this happen? And what is wrong with parking garages? They're far better than surface lots. And really, what's wrong with underground lots? That leaves room on the surface for other uses.
I don't understand the question. Obviously parking garages can only be built by leveling existing building stock. So it's irrelevant if the parking is in a garage or lot.

What's wrong with parking garages? Obviously you're replacing a building for people with a file container for vehicles. You get dead streets and dead downtowns. You're incentivizing driving and congestion, and punishing walking and public transit. You're also driving up the cost of construction and subsidizing driving by mandating parking minimums.

Manhattan has essentially banned new parking (even underground parking) because NYC became aware that the garages were extremely harmful to the urban form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I disagree, look at nearby Providence which is relatively the same sized city and metro area. Its downtown has a lot more atmosphere, vibrancy, shopping, dining, and attractions to bring people into downtown with interesting neighborhoods abutting downtown to walk around. Downtown Providence is a destination, downtown Hartford is just a workaday kind of place at best.

One of downtown Hartford's biggest problems is the highway chokehold it has on three sides by I-84 and I-91 and the river is pretty much completely cutoff from the city by them, along with the demolition of historic structures. The river and the old city were elements that Mark Twain admired, cleared away for cars and modern office towers with river being walled off by I-91.
I think when I lived there in 1993 to 1998, everything closed at 7pm or 8pm not sure if that is still the case

Old 11-30-2014, 03:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't understand the question. Obviously parking garages can only be built by leveling existing building stock. So it's irrelevant if the parking is in a garage or lot.

What's wrong with parking garages? Obviously you're replacing a building for people with a file container for vehicles. You get dead streets and dead downtowns. You're incentivizing driving and congestion, and punishing walking and public transit. You're also driving up the cost of construction and subsidizing driving by mandating parking minimums.

Manhattan has essentially banned new parking (even underground parking) because NYC became aware that the garages were extremely harmful to the urban form.
I don't know of many (any?) cities where multiple blocks have been leveled to build parking garages. Parking garages are certainly better than surface parking all over the place. This thread is NOT about incentivizing driving and congestion, and punishing walking and public transit or about parking minimums, and I would implore our mod to not allow it to be hijacked into a discussion of same. There is a thread on here about parking minimums that could be revived if that's what you wish to talk about.

Coors Field helped revitalized lower downtown Denver, despite people (gasp!) driving cars down there to watch the baseball games.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:21 PM

522 posts, read 694,451 times
Quote:

Good point. And many European cities don't have parking garages. They put emphasis on public transport. Not sure if parking garages really do make that much of a difference, but they certainly could.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know of many (any?) cities where multiple blocks have been leveled to build parking garages.
I don't know of any city where this didn't happen. This even happened in NYC, to a small extent.

The answer is that this happened in every single city in the U.S. Name a city, and I will show you blocks leveled for parking garages.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Good point. And many European cities don't have parking garages. They put emphasis on public transport. Not sure if parking garages really do make that much of a difference, but they certainly could.
European center city definitely have parking. Garage parking, often tucked away underground. From what I can tell the central areas of Paris have similar amounts of parking as Manhattan

Old 11-30-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
European center city definitely have parking. Garage parking, often tucked away underground. From what I can tell the central areas of Paris have similar amounts of parking as Manhattan
But do they have the same amounts of parking as in Tulsa, OK or Minneapolis, MN?

Old 11-30-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Name a city, and I will show you blocks leveled for parking garages.
Boston.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Boston.
That's easy, because I've parked there myself.

There are a fair number of garages in Boston (probably fewer than any U.S. city outside of NYC and SF, but still a lot), but I've always used the Harbor Garage at 299 Milk Street, or the South Station garage though there are many others.

Boston even put garages under most parks and plazas, so find an open space in and around downtown, and there will probably be a parking garage (places like Boston Common, Post Office Square, etc.). Also, all the mixed use complexes, like Copley Place and Prudential Center have big garages, as does the convention center, and the majority of newer buildings. Urban renewal areas (Government Center, West End, parts of Back Bay and South End) tend to have lots of parking.

Or google 151 Tremont Street. That's a good example of a block-killing parking garage that really harms what should be a vibrant urban block. The stuff built in the 60's and 70's tends to be particularly bad, regardless of city.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Case closed. No further need to discuss. Lock the thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning