Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:57 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,121 times

Advertisements

the places in the US that would be receptive to such an idea lack the transportation infrastructure to pull it off. Dubai does too to an extent, but it leverages the heck out of its airport and seaports. In addition the labor needed to make Dubai function as it does would never be allowed in the US, and even if it were your workers would run off immediately since the U.S. provides much more opportunity for immigrants to disappear and establish lives than the UAE or even Arabia at large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
Let's same I'm a developer and I want to build an ultra-dense hi-tech epicenter like Dubai in the 'States. Where can I buy land at the most strategic possible location? What areas have the loosest zoning policies that would allow such density?

In other words, what US areas outside NYC are most receptive to 21st century urbanization?
Look for a dessert of waste land more or less. You know like Vegas; where Dubai got the idea.but the they also see it as play ground of the rich with only servants otherwise by keeping cost high. You know a Vegas for the rich.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Start with a part of the United States that has massive amounts of oil wealth and is ruled by an absolute monarchy with no elections. If you can ship in foreign workers to be paid slave wages and live in inhuman conditions, all the better. Give it a few years, seems like this country is heading that way, good luck building the City of Kochistan!
west Texas!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,758,812 times
"Roads kind of the basic blueprint. Once you have that understanding then you can put another layer on your canvas, of water and sewer lines. And now, it's starting to take shape. What I've said on more than one occasion is that as a developer, when I'm at my best, all I need is water. I can't make water. That's something that's gotta be there. It's a God thing, it's life blood."

Locate your city near water - everything else you can build.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,612,989 times
Anywhere in the desert west. Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, and Wyoming have miles upon miles of undeveloped land that new cities could be housed. West Texas is another. So many places.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,273,146 times
The question to ask is, why would you want to create such a place?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:14 AM

12 posts, read 22,411 times
two places:

Texas - they'll do anything for money

Michigan (detroit), they are so poor they have no voice. nonetheless, they need saving. a Dubai in Detroit would be better than what they have now.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:37 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,273,146 times
Why would building a Dubai in Detroit save Detroit? And who would pay for it? Buildings don't just vault out of the ground because it's zoned for enormous skyscrapers.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:26 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,277,684 times
Dubai was built in the middle of Desert... built from scratch.... So in the middle of the Desert ....of course...In the American Southwest somewhere?
No need to be in or near a existing city. Not sure where you would get the water to create the man-made lakes Dubai has? Since water is too valuable here?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:45 PM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
We would want to make a better Dubai. One located in a climate and location suitable for supporting large development and population. Water is an issue. I'd personally be more in favor of a current city developing into an innovation center (like Dubai). I think Houston, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, Charlotte, or Miami would be good candidates. Also a city like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, or Hartford would be interesting. I don't believe this will ever happen, but its fun to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning