Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is a little old man who has been walking past my work for years, he gets so much exercise for all the walking he does around downtown, though I would never want to see him in a car because that would probably be deadly, but I would never tell him not to enjoy walking around downtown.
Alzheimer’s patient who was missing from ECMC found | wivb.com

There have been several similar incidents around here, but I'm obviously not using the right search words b/c I keep getting stories about the Broncos and Peyton Manning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
A one legged Afghanistan vet doesn't fit into ohhwanderlust's implied fat lazy American stereotype. Associating laziness to how far someone can physically walk isn't very kind to certain segments of the population.
Exactly how many one legged vets do you encounter daily? Most people have the ability to walk, the question is, will they actually do so.

I sympathize with those who are legitimately disabled, and there are ways a car free downtown could be made more accessible to them (which I'm 100% for)...but let's be real...that isn't the majority.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 01-16-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 04:20 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
So I just wanted opinions on whether pedestrian-only downtowns are an actual feasible endeavor with how American downtowns are set up? I tried doing a Google search for any that existed, but that came up with nothing.

And here's a screenshot of downtown Bend, just for reference for anyone:
Best thing to do is make every second or third street, pedestrian only.
There's on like that in Caracas, Venezuela in an area called "Sabana Grande"

I was wrong.... even better, they left space only for 1 lane and about 75% of the space is sidewalks.
I think that's such a great idea.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
I'm confused what's being argued. Can we get back to pedestrian downtowns?

Old 01-17-2015, 09:32 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
My question is, why would the NewYork Times newspaper write stories about an 85,000 population city 3,000 miles away? How bad can traffic really be? This isn't Manhattan.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
So this proposal will look at the economic pros and cons of making a two block stretch of Wall and Bond streets pedestrian only, as well as the side street connecting the two, Minnesota Avenue. I've done a rough count and there's approximately 190 on street parking spots that would essentially be taken out. But there's also a five story, 550 space parking structure on the first half of Minnesota Ave. In order to get a feel for the economic pros/cons (without delving into research that would take longer than the 10 week constraints), I'm just going to go around and talk to business owners on the affected stretches of road and see what their opinions on business impact would be.
I'm curious to hear what the local business owners say. The biggest issue I see is you're blocking the biggest through streets in the center of town? Where will the traffic go? Non-downtown bound traffic could go around, which might be a plus for the area, but it could result in jamming the adjacent narrower roads.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
No, but you know, some of these "urbanists" don't stop to think about people with disabilities, or even people carting along small children or the able bodied but perhaps slower and less energetic elderly. It's mostly about young, physically fit people, particularly young men who don't have to worry so much about their physical safety as women, either.
For what it's worth, Spain had plenty of less energetic elderly in the pedestrian only zones. And some young children. And in New York City, you do see parents pushing strollers down the street. Obviously, the situation is a bit different compared to typical American locations, but saying not having to walk a few blocks is a necessity is a bit much in most cases. The pedestrian downtown described in the OP was only a few blocks.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:39 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Norfolk, VA tried to make Granby St a pedestrian mall which was a complete failure that shut down most of the businesses unless your business was a drug dealer or prostitute. During the build up of the car era downtowns tried to compete with suburban malls by turning retail streets into pedestrian streets and most of them failed.
Granby St really sucks right about now. I might have actually preferred what you speak of to the way that things are right now.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:37 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Granby St really sucks right about now. I might have actually preferred what you speak of to the way that things are right now.
Norfolk in general has always been a let down for me, so much potential yet always acting like they have no idea what to do. Granby should be lined with shops and restaurants that are all busy any time of the day. Though I do remember when it was a pedestrian mall, you just didn't enter the street because it was worse than today.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:42 AM

505 posts, read 501,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
My question is, why would the NewYork Times newspaper write stories about an 85,000 population city 3,000 miles away? How bad can traffic really be? This isn't Manhattan.
i've been mostly done with this project for a while now, but reading this interested me. what other articles are there about bend that the nyt has done? i'm aware of one about skiing, and how bend made it into their 52 places to see in 2015, but i'm unaware of others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning