Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
how are they going to convince Atlanta's drivers to share the road with that thing?
LOL just another opportunity to be flattened on Peachtree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
also, I just wanted to say, that the MARTA train cars are just really funny looking to me. I don't know why.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,162 times
Of course, we are talking about the best of the worst though....

Old 05-19-2008, 11:41 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
Atlanta and Dallas.

Dallas will soon surpass Atlanta as they are expanding their DART system. Atlanta has too much suburban resistance to rail expansion to facilitate such a large step for a long time. Of course, both cities pale in comparison to New York, Boston, Chicago, Washington, and even San Francisco in terms of covering large sectors of their metropolitan areas.

Houston has light rail and Nashville has one commuter rail line, but both cities will need to greatly expand their systems before being competitive with Dallas and Atlanta.

All the cities just have buses.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Don't forget, transit is more than just rail. Here in the Twin Cities, we built a light rail line a few years back, and now we are on the verge of starting a new one, between doawntown St Paul and downtown Mpls. The problem is, it will replcae much of the bus service in the corridor. Right now, buses run 24 hours a day, every 10 minutes except at night when they run 15 - 60 minutes depending on how late it is. They stop at every corner, and weekdays there is supplemental limited stop service that's much faster.

When they start the new light rail line, the trains will stop only every mile, not every block, except in the downtowns. The buses that now stop every block will be reduced to every 30 minutes. For the people who live along the line, unless they live within a block of a station, I can't see how this would be an imporvement in transit service, but the Metro Countil and the federal govenment who will be funding mush of it, don't seem to see the problem.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Well according to the Civil War era, Washington DC is in the south...so Washington DC ... or you mean the modern south, which hasn't got sucked up by the liberals and Northeast .... not saying its a bad thing ...
I don't know, the South has crappy Public Transit...i think... I never took the public transit anywhere except in Dallas, or DC
According to the Civil War era? Where did you get your education? D.C. is the South according to the Mason-Dixon line, which as far as I'm concerned is too far north. (Should be Maryland-Virginia border, not Maryland-Pennsylvania border)

Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
According to the Civil War era? Where did you get your education? D.C. is the South according to the Mason-Dixon line, which as far as I'm concerned is too far north. (Should be Maryland-Virginia border, not Maryland-Pennsylvania border)
If the Mason-Dixon line were moved that far south there wouldn't be any Maryland left!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,497 times
^
lol I thought of your comment in a different context... what would it be?
Unmaryland?
or was that what you meant?

I got My education in Texas!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:18 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^
lol I thought of your comment in a different context... what would it be?
Unmaryland?
or was that what you meant?

I got My education in Texas!
Well the Mason-Dixon line was surveyed as the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania, and Maryland and Delaware. If the line bounding those states were established at the Potomac River instead, Pennsylvania and/or Delaware would have possessed everything that was once Maryland. Baltimore, PA has a nice ring to it though, doesn't it?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:02 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Houston is up-and-coming in this area. As long as things keep progressing and no more major roadblocks (think Tom DeLay) try to stop things, I expect some great things down the road. The light rail system, though small, was a lifesaver for me when I was working in the Texas Medical Center, and the trains were always filled with lots of others in white lab coats. Sometimes there wasn't even room to get on. There's also a pretty extensive park-and-ride program for people who use the buses... most people I know who work downtown and live in the suburbs use the buses to get to/from work.

In Austin I used the bus system a lot, but it seemed geared more toward the central part of town where I lived... basically if you live in the suburbs you're stuck having to drive the whole way to work?

And does San Antonio have anything? I'm familiar with the city from travel but have never actually lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning