U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 PM

30 posts, read 177,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Well according to the Civil War era, Washington DC is in the south...so Washington DC ... or you mean the modern south, which hasn't got sucked up by the liberals and Northeast .... not saying its a bad thing ...
I don't know, the South has crappy Public Transit...i think... I never took the public transit anywhere except in Dallas, or DC

PLEASE LEAVE DC OUT OF THIS TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 AM

7,762 posts, read 9,288,647 times
Jacksonville is one of the worst!

...among big cities that have some sort of public transportation.

30 Days of Plight. Stephen Dare goes JTA every day.
Long Day's Journey Into Plight. Stephen Dare Wrassles the Transit System.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,927,565 times
As a Metro DC resident, yea DC don't count. In fact many Northern VA counties don't or barely count either. Core DC area hasn't been southern scince the war.

I have heard about the trouble MARTA has, I hear it's fairly good and fairly popular for the city of ATL itself.

The general concensus about DART is that it has possibilities but needs expansion, I don't know how popular it is nor the T. The T will DEFINETLY need to do something once the new Dallas Cowboys stadium is built.

I have heard many good things about Charlotte's CATS system, in particular the LYNX light rail.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,510,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
The general concensus about DART is that it has possibilities but needs expansion, I don't know how popular it is nor the T. The T will DEFINETLY need to do something once the new Dallas Cowboys stadium is built.
Unfortunately the T is for Fort Worth and not Arlington (where the new Cowboys stadium is being built.) Arlington has 0 public transport. Such a lame and backward thinking city. Largest city in the U.S. without public transporation. I'm interested to see how things are gonna turn out.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 PM

20,229 posts, read 31,609,763 times
DART is currently under expansion. The T has studies out now to build out to the airport itself. Arlington.....................:sma ck: They just don't get it.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:35 AM

3,400 posts, read 7,757,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Does anyone know about public transit in Charleston, SC and San Antonio?
In Charleston its called a B-U-S or car. And there's many, many bus stops you DONT want to wait at unless you feel like getting robbed.
I cant even imagine where in the blue blazes they'd find room to put another form of public transportation....

Old 01-16-2009, 02:03 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,977,098 times
The South is not the North Evrything doesnt have too look like DC and Nyc.so stop saying what the Northeast has this dicussion about transit in the South. Southern Citys were not designed like northeastern citys so we have to make do with what we have

Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 AM

61,284 posts, read 83,964,078 times
on which is the worst
if the train and the streets to get to the train are unsafe the subway/trolley is useless except to the poor and desperate. same as in france. which is safer --a locked car or a seat on the metro.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,977,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^
lol I thought of your comment in a different context... what would it be?
Unmaryland?
or was that what you meant?

I got My education in Texas!

DC is not the south people need to stop trying to make it the south there is nothing southern about DC

Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 PM

14,260 posts, read 25,700,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Admittedly, the South has a long way to go in being considered in the same breath as transit in NE cities... That said, I'll vote: Miami. It only has a 1-line, 24-mile rapid system. The current line serves many upper-middle and upscale areas and suburbs South of downtown Miami. Also, there is a connecting commuter rail (TriRail) along with the elevated, rubber-tired Metro Mover circulating Metro riders all over downtown Miami over several routes. At 78 miles, the Tri-Rail giver metro Miami the most commuter rail in the South. Dallas has Trinity Express, but TriRail is bigger. Plus TriRail is much faster now they've double tracked the entire line. New stations abound.

My biggest gripe with TriRail is that it serves the edges of its cities and doesn't go downtown; even in Miami (where you connect to a northern station along the Metro. This means the bulk of TriRail users, esp to the bigger cities near the Southern end, is mainly auto dependent.

I can't consider D.C. as a southern city in the truest sense -- it's more Northeastern... Obviously, if it is southern, it blows every Southern transit network in the South.
I agree 100. Alot of people dont even know about that. Miami has a VERY decent monorail system that takes you around the whole entire downtown miami. And tri-rail takes you throuout the WHOLE south florida region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning