U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM

497 posts, read 475,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
DC is not the south people need to stop trying to make it the south there is nothing southern about DC
Trust me we don't want D.C!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:35 PM

20,241 posts, read 31,680,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
The reasons I like Miami's and Atlanta's public transit systems more is because of the rail systems. Both of them are elevated subway systems (Chicago style). While Dallas has the DART and Houston has its light rail line as well I just don't like light rail, the fact that it runs on the same street where cars are passing by and all those above cables and stuff eh not so good. Heavy rail just gives you more of a city feel than light rail.
Who cares if nobody is riding it. Dallas has as many people riding it's LRT compared to Miami's Heavy Rail system. Dallas light rail only runs on the street in downtown. It has it's own row and runs elevated everywhere else. Houston's system is an urban rail system. Sort of like the 21st century of a trolley.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:51 AM

4,209 posts, read 5,725,319 times
Default My best in order

Dallas - light rail, commuter rail, historic trolley cars (aggressive expansion)
Atlanta - heavy rail
Miami - heavy rail, commuter rail, downtown people mover
Houston - downtown street car
Charlotte - light rail
Austin - light/commuter rail combo

Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 PM

2,331 posts, read 4,230,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Trust me we don't want D.C!!!
Why do people in the Deep South have soo much discriminating Hate towards Maryland?????????

Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM

51 posts, read 97,242 times
I like dallas DART over all! Atlanta's MARTA is ok ,but I do not like subways that much.I like to be able to see the outside.I also think we should give Miami a break.Don't you agree?

Old 09-04-2010, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,253 times
DART is lacking in service and costs. The buses are not clean and do not run frequently. You must sometimes wait up to an hour for a bus. Many routes begin late (after 6:30am) and end early (around 8:30pm). The commuter train runs every hour or more on Saturday with no Sunday service. Engines on the "double decker" trains are prone to mechanical failures while the "silver bullet" trains have steep steps which are not user friendly. The fares for buses, light rail and commuter train will greatly increase next month making it cheaper to drive than to take public transportation.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 PM

96 posts, read 124,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Washington DC transit is really good especially the trains. The Bus system usually runs on time and so do the trains. The website is very easy to use if you want to make a trip. If you live in DC, there will be times you don't need to use your car at all. But metro gets you to the suburbs including Old Town Alexandria and Arlington as well.

Dallas is good but they are running into cost problems to the Orange Line. However, they are rapidly expanding and have a great vision on what they want to do. The green Line is currently under construction and it will be the longest out of all lines taking you from SE Dallas through downtown to the NW suburbs. The Orange line is the line that runs from Downtown Dallas to Irving to the DFW airport. If built, that will be huge for DART and Dallas. Not to mention the commuter lines that are planned for the area.

Houston is the same way. They will be starting construction on an east-west line connecting Downtown to the Galleria and more lines are on the board to open by 2012-2013. Commuter rails are also on the board such as one from Houston to Galveston.

Don't know about Atlanta and Miami but they have nice ridership numbers but are nothing compared to the NE and Chicago obviously.
Didn't know that D.C. was part of the south I see it more as a northeastern city. However Dallas, Miami and Atlanta are definitely southern. IMO Atlanta (MARTA) is ok, Miami (MDT) is better, and Dallas (DART) is best plus DART's bus fleet is much more cleaner and has more buses than MDT and MARTA, also not to mention that DART's Rail System goes pretty far too

Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 PM

96 posts, read 124,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Miami transit is the most diverse in the south when i say diverse i mean buses, taxi's, subway, tri-rail, and metromover etc. but Atlanta's overall ridership is more than Miami's i believe so its a tossup between those 2.
Agreed and far more integrated and diverse than Atlanta will ever be

Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,696,501 times
Miami's diversity and multi-modality is a double edged sword. Making multiple transfers is no fun, especially when the transfers take you way out of your way. The worse being Tri-Rail transfer to Metrorail to get downtown--an extra 30-40 minutes going way out to Hialeah, compared to having Tri-rail just go directly to downtown. Metromover transfers are not fun either as it takes a half hour just to cover the few miles from one end of the Metromover system to the other, plus you have to stand the whole time. Govt. Center Metrorail transfer to South Beach busses involves walking a distance equivalent to 3-4 blocks (depending on how well you know your way around) you *should* already be in South Beach by the time you get to that bus stop. Even with the Metrorail expansion ("almost") to the airport, you lose around 20 minutes between the extra walking with luggage and dealing with the MIA mover, compared to just having Metrorail stop at the terminals, or at least having the MIA mover platform right beside the Metrorail and having it actually stop at the terminals instead of between the parking garages.

Long story short: a multi-model system is only as good as it's weakest link...the transfers...

Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 PM

6,212 posts, read 8,694,891 times
Atlanta (MARTA and the upcoming Beltline Streetcar system) vs Miami (Tri-Rail, Metro Mover, and Metrorail).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning