Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

Here are some images related to Atlanta's transit system (MARTA). I frequently use MARTA rail as do many of my friends and my family members. My biggest problem with it are it's limited hours and sometimes the trains don't run at frequent enough intervals. Also, it doesn't go near enough to some of my favorite spots in Atlanta. Otherwise it's pretty good.

A drawing of the proposed Beltline lightrail project

A proposed train for the future Streetcar project that would run the length of Peachtree Street.

Atlanta's airport is served by the Airport Station

A train approaching the West End Station. I used to take to visit an Aunt that lived nearby

From Peachtree Station one can vist Peachtree Center the Westin Hotel, Sun Dial resturant and Hard Rock Cafe etc.

Five Points Station is attached to Under Ground Atlanta

Lennox Square and Phipps Mall Atlanta's largest Malls are walking distance from this station

[IMG][/IMG]

During rush hour it often is a quicker alternative as it skirts above gridlocked streets.

This station ties in with the bus station and I would use it after bus trips from college

]

Last edited by Galounger; 01-13-2008 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 03:04 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,860 times
Atlanta (heavy rail is much better), Dallas (for now), then Houston (rail may be lacking for now, but the bus service is superb). Miami is the worst.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:59 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Nice photos. Marta and D.C. Metro sure look like cousins.

I'll admit, I prefer Atlanta but only suggested Miami deserves some consideration... Most people seem to rag on Marta Rail as not being adequate for the metro area; but I've found it useful and enjoyable for my visits. It goes to the airport, major sports stadiums, the Peachtree Hotel District, the growing/booming Midtown area, Buckhead with swanky Phipps & Lenox Sq malls, Georgia Tech, the King Memorial, Perimeter Mall, the CNN complex and more...

Old 01-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Nice photos. Marta and D.C. Metro sure look like cousins.
They should. MARTA was designed based on D.C.s Metro system. And,like D.C.s system, from the start there were plans to have far more stations and more lines. But those plans were shot down by N.I.M.B.Y opponents within the city and anti Atlanta politicians/residents in neighboring suburbs it was to extend into.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
They should. MARTA was designed based on D.C.s Metro system. And,like D.C.s system, from the start there were plans to have far more stations and more lines. But those plans were shot down by N.I.M.B.Y opponents within the city and anti Atlanta politicians/residents in neighboring suburbs it was to extend into.
The difference is, D.C. is going forward with the plans, while MARTA has basically stopped for now as those in Gwinnett, Clayton, and Cobb don't want the service. They will definitely drive down to Fulton or DeKalb to park at a station, but they don't want to pay taxes in their own county to have MARTA there.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:58 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
The difference is, D.C. is going forward with the plans, while MARTA has basically stopped for now as those in Gwinnett, Clayton, and Cobb don't want the service. They will definitely drive down to Fulton or DeKalb to park at a station, but they don't want to pay taxes in their own county to have MARTA there.
They don't seem very intelligent in metro Atlanta,Im sorry it needs to be said. Traffic that rivals LA, polluted air, just plain people on top of people in cars everywhere, lack of sidewalks. Now there are water shortages. So many of the problems in Metro Atlanta are due to its politics and much of that is of the self righteous type. I think Fulton county should tell these holier than thou counties that border it, Either help out with the problems in this metro area, or start paying a commuter tax every time you come into this county for work, the airport whatever. There are people in Oregon that moved here from Atlanta simply because they could not get from Point A to Point B without spending half the day doing it.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
They don't seem very intelligent in metro Atlanta,Im sorry it needs to be said. Traffic that rivals LA, polluted air, just plain people on top of people in cars everywhere, lack of sidewalks. Now there are water shortages. So many of the problems in Metro Atlanta are due to its politics and much of that is of the self righteous type. I think Fulton county should tell these holier than thou counties that border it, Either help out with the problems in this metro area, or start paying a commuter tax every time you come into this county for work, the airport whatever.
I think many southerners have an anti-city mindset that dates back hundreds of years. They love the opportunities and amenities of Atlanta's surburbs but want nothing to do with the actual city. But then, so many of these surburbanites are northern transplants.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
A proposed train for the future Streetcar project that would run the length of Peachtree Street.

how are they going to convince Atlanta's drivers to share the road with that thing?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:11 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,771 times
Atlanta probably has the best public transit, but I think Miami comes in a good second, just for its variety and good connections to Downtown Miami. There's the FREE Metromover with 21 stations in Downtown alone, plus Metrorail, Metrobus, and Tri-Rail connecting to Miami's suburbs.

They're also trying to build some more heavy-rail lines north and west of Downtown Miami.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:13 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
They don't seem very intelligent in metro Atlanta,Im sorry it needs to be said. Traffic that rivals LA, polluted air, just plain people on top of people in cars everywhere, lack of sidewalks. Now there are water shortages. So many of the problems in Metro Atlanta are due to its politics and much of that is of the self righteous type. I think Fulton county should tell these holier than thou counties that border it, Either help out with the problems in this metro area, or start paying a commuter tax every time you come into this county for work, the airport whatever. There are people in Oregon that moved here from Atlanta simply because they could not get from Point A to Point B without spending half the day doing it.
As harsh as it sounds, AMEN to that. The Atlanta area politicians are not forward-thinking, for the most part. It's an attitude of "let's see what happens, sit here and wait." MARTA has stalled, traffic is a nightmare with zero relief in sight, and sprawl is out of control. Atlanta is one of the nations worst examples of growth. Could be called "the dumbest growth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning