Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:58 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times

Advertisements

The CEO/Owner is usually one of the most important factors in choosing a business location. In my experience it is that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 10:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Except the article wasn't making a central city-vs-suburb argument. It was describing suburban office campuses, places initially built to be a walled, if pastoral, city of sorts. You drive there, sit in your office for the day, then drive home. You could also do those core isolating features in an office tower, really, so, again, it's not city-vs-suburb. And not every article or argument has to offer a counter-proposal; it's of great value to sometimes simply describe how something happened or how something touted as new and different is actually just a repackaging of something old.
No, it's not merely descriptive; it's saying these suburban office campuses are somehow bad and it would somehow be different if they were in the city. Which is nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy
They are totally car centric -- there is no place to go without using a car.
And you know who this is a problem for? No one. Because everyone there has cars.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
This is north east America life. Not the same in other parts of the country. They put their facilities, where the quality of worker lives, for an easy commute, to attract employees.
You need to get out more. Lots of cities outside of the NE have commuter rail, light rail, etc these days. EX: Chicago (extensive public transit system), Denver, SF, Portland, Seattle, no doubt many others.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:04 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You need to get out more. Lots of cities outside of the NE have commuter rail, light rail, etc these days. EX: Chicago (extensive public transit system), Denver, SF, Portland, Seattle, no doubt many others.
And even more, there are offices located through the City of Chicago and it's burbs not just the CBD!

Old 04-22-2016, 03:50 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
It is all about ideology. If you demonize "solo commuters" and elevate "encountering strangers" by sitting next to people you don't know and don't interact with on commuter rail, and if you pretend that people who "do not desire to own or dirve cars" somehow make better employees (as one poster actually stated), then all sorts of silliness becomes possible.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I do. I consult so I have a number of clients in these hideous green outposts, largely in Rhode Island and the Boston area. They are totally car centric -- there is no place to go without using a car. They are all without public transit options. There is no cultural swag, no opportunity to interact with society. And being car- centric and lacking public transit, these fortresses are typical white and suburban, apart from the Indian enclaves of developers, bussed in en masse from their temporary residential apartments by their contractor.

I could not survive working in such a desolate environment, but then I'm not addicted to a car, I know how to walk and to enjoy an urban experience.
I got so sick of driving to these office parks as a consultant that I cashed in and took a full-time position with a client that is in Center City Philly. Now I walk to work and will never ever take any kind of job that requires me to go to those office parks on a consistent basis.

And the cool thing is that there are quite a few others who are doing the same. Some great talent has had enough of the driving to office outposts and are choosing something more urban and simple. Two others followed me and now we grab lunch in Rittenhouse Square two blocks over, and commute by either taking transit or walking to work. Employers are taking notice of this trend too.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Looking at the poster's history, I think he's from California.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Looking at the poster's history, I think he's from California.
Well, maybe he has some funny ideas about "flyover country".

Old 04-22-2016, 12:46 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
No, it's not merely descriptive; it's saying these suburban office campuses are somehow bad and it would somehow be different if they were in the city. Which is nonsense.
You keep getting stuck on some key errors. It's not city vs. suburb. Yes, it talks about suburban office parks, but that is because the edge was where you could build sprawling pastoral office campuses. But that's not the core of the piece. The main thrust of the piece is that, despite being architecturally modern, places like Apple's new campus here in Cupertino are not fundamentally different from the suburban campuses that preceded them; each still seeks to be a place people drive to (or, in the SFBA, ride a corporate bus to), stay within the bounds of all day, then do the reverse commute home at the end of the day. But it's, again, not city vs. suburb; the GM headquarters, for example, could be every bit as much a fortress as a suburban office campus.

Posters can knee-jerk at the word "suburban" all day, but if they take this is an attack on driving or the suburbs, they're missing the point.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
You keep getting stuck on some key errors. It's not city vs. suburb. Yes, it talks about suburban office parks, but that is because the edge was where you could build sprawling pastoral office campuses. But that's not the core of the piece. The main thrust of the piece is that, despite being architecturally modern, places like Apple's new campus here in Cupertino are not fundamentally different from the suburban campuses that preceded them; each still seeks to be a place people drive to (or, in the SFBA, ride a corporate bus to), stay within the bounds of all day, then do the reverse commute home at the end of the day. But it's, again, not city vs. suburb; the GM headquarters, for example, could be every bit as much a fortress as a suburban office campus.

Posters can knee-jerk at the word "suburban" all day, but if they take this is an attack on driving or the suburbs, they're missing the point.
The title of the thread and the title of the article in the link are the same and both reference "1950s Suburbia".

I will point out too, that Google, supposedly so innovative, attempts to keep the employees around day and night, feeding them, providing on site dry-cleaning, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning