Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 09:41 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,355 times

Advertisements

Looking for a book which explains why the grid starts at 14th and not 1st street, why the Lexington Avenue subway goes above ground after 96th street.
Read the greatest grid, did not really answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 01:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
The Lexington Ave line does not go above ground until after it's in The Bronx

Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The Lexington Ave line does not go above ground until after it's in The Bronx
Yeah. You’re thinking of the 1 train (Broadway-Seventh Avenue line) that goes elevated in Manhattan after 125th, not the Lexington line.
Anyway, I didn’t know the answer to the street grid question at first, but you got me curious so I went and looked it up.

Street grid: Streets and Avenues: A History of the Grid System | Become A New Yorker
https://www.nypl.org/blog/2010/07/30...ners-plan-1811
Basically it looks like Lower Manhattan, the oldest part of the city, was a disorganized mess. As the city started growing Northward, the city and the State realized the city was growing quickly, and only going to get bigger so they came up with this street grid plan in 1811 that would organize everything from Houston st up.

So that’s where the numbers start: after Houston st, and that’s where the grid is supposed to start too, but if you look at this map of Manhattan in 1811 (when the plan was made), it looks like the city already started expanding a little bit North of Houston on the West side, which would explain why the West Village streets are a mess and why the true grid doesn’t start until 14th.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...NILH9xfGmkcL-U

But on the East side, it looks like everything was able to grow up from Houston as planned. As a side note in case you didn’t know, the lettered avenues in Alphabet City are in place of negative numbers going East of First Avenue.

Elevated 1 train: Upper Manhattan is very hilly. If you ride The 1 Train North of 125th in Manhattan, you’ll notice that it’s not actually the 1 Train that’s changing elevation, it’s the ground itself that’s changing. There’s a steep hill, so the ground falls while the train tracks stay at the same level since it is cheaper to build that way, and also keeps the train running at the same speed instead of having to slow down. And then it just goes right back underground at 137th. Again because the ground itself is rising back up, not the train.

EDIT: I don’t know any books though. Sorry

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 03-08-2018 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah. You’re thinking of the 1 train (Broadway-Seventh Avenue line) that goes elevated in Manhattan after 125th, not the Lexington line.
Anyway, I didn’t know the answer to the street grid question at first, but you got me curious so I went and looked it up.

Street grid: Streets and Avenues: A History of the Grid System | Become A New Yorker
https://www.nypl.org/blog/2010/07/30...ners-plan-1811
Basically it looks like Lower Manhattan, the oldest part of the city, was a disorganized mess. As the city started growing Northward, the city and the State realized the city was growing quickly, and only going to get bigger so they came up with this street grid plan in 1811 that would organize everything from Houston st up.

So that’s where the numbers start: after Houston st, and that’s where the grid is supposed to start too, but if you look at this map of Manhattan in 1811 (when the plan was made), it looks like the city already started expanding a little bit North of Houston on the West side, which would explain why the West Village streets are a mess and why the true grid doesn’t start until 14th.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...NILH9xfGmkcL-U

But on the East side, it looks like everything was able to grow up from Houston as planned. As a side note in case you didn’t know, the lettered avenues in Alphabet City are in place of negative numbers going East of First Avenue.

Elevated 1 train: Upper Manhattan is very hilly. If you ride The 1 Train North of 125th in Manhattan, you’ll notice that it’s not actually the 1 Train that’s changing elevation, it’s the ground itself that’s changing. There’s a steep hill, so the ground falls while the train tracks stay at the same level since it is cheaper to build that way, and also keeps the train running at the same speed instead of having to slow down. And then it just goes right back underground at 137th. Again because the ground itself is rising back up, not the train.

EDIT: I don’t know any books though. Sorry
Imagine if they uses negative numbers instead, that would be so weird

Old 03-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Imagine if they uses negative numbers instead, that would be so weird
Kind of like 6 1/2 Avenue

Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Kind of like 6 1/2 Avenue
Is that considered a real street?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Is that considered a real street?
It’s more of a pedestrian passageway that cuts between Sixth and Seventh avenues, but it has it’s own street signs, crosswalks, intersections, stop signs, and I think even traffic lights in some spots, so I guess so.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u0Q2PkcOay...0/DSC_0054.JPG

Personally I really love it a lot. I don’t think that a street needs to have cars going down it to be considered a true street. We desperately need more pedestrian-only streets in The US that are so common all over Europe. Like Stone Street down in the Financial District.

I wish we had more 1/2 avenues. It would be cool to have something like 6 1/2 Avenue somewhere outside of Midtown, like the East Village for example.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
It’s more of a pedestrian passageway that cuts between Sixth and Seventh avenues, but it has it’s own street signs, crosswalks, intersections, stop signs, and I think even traffic lights in some spots, so I guess so.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u0Q2PkcOay...0/DSC_0054.JPG

Personally I really love it a lot. I don’t think that a street needs to have cars going down it to be considered a true street. We desperately need more pedestrian-only streets in The US that are so common all over Europe. Like Stone Street down in the Financial District.

I wish we had more 1/2 avenues. It would be cool to have something like 6 1/2 Avenue somewhere outside of Midtown, like the East Village for example.
Yeah I like the idea too, I was just curious if it had real addresses. I don't know how many more pedestrian only streets we can realistically have, though. There are also some random tiny pedestrian only streets in the outer boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning