Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
nei

When I wrote try walking in the heat of SC it was not specifically directed towards you. Rather, it was a general "we the people".
Your post was a quote to me with a "try", I thought it was just to me.

Quote:
Yes there are some who will run in the 115F Scottsdale heat ( I saw that when we visited in 2009 and for all you know you might be one of them ) but generally people do not walk, let alone run in 115F heat. Same with 95F SC heat with > 90% humidity. It is a recipe for disaster
I haven't been to South Carolina, but I've never experienced heat & humidity that prevented a leisurely walk to the point of "I wish I could be in a car".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Your post was a quote to me with a "try", I thought it was just to me.

I haven't been to South Carolina, but I've never experienced heat & humidity that prevented a leisurely walk to the point of "I wish I could be in a car".
Maybe that's why you've never experienced it.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Maybe that's why you've never experienced it.
I can look up temperatures; looks like my hottest week of the year or so the entire summer

https://www.wunderground.com/history...yCalendar.html

[just one year, 2016 looked worse]

Old 03-09-2017, 09:52 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Exactly! I fear government has so thoroughly destroyed transit markets in the last 60 years, beyond repair. Our cities used to be fantastic, walkable, urban, uniquely "American." Government has wrought horrendous policies that are the source of all the problems that so many progressives today want to, for some reason, delegate to government to "fix."
Where is the "market" in transit? Public transit is a government creation subsidized tremendously by taxpayers. Your "market" consists of i) people that have no choice (i.e., transit dependent) and ii) people that have choices. For the most part the pro-transit folks spend their energy trying to make people transit dependent so that the transit system has a monopoly with a dependent captive population. Why are pro transit folks so interested in eliminating independence?

If your environment were so "walkable" (as that term is frequently used in this forum) then what do you need transit for?

Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
That article sounds like a list of stuff I love about the suburbs. Especially the "no public transport part" so I do not have to worry about slow buses clogging the roads. The most insane part about the article is the quote about useless frontages. The are extremely useful,they isolate me from any noise my neighbor is making. Ideally a half acre lot is the minimum livable lot size for comfort.
He also over emphasized cul-de-sacs. The first batch of suburbs that appeared after WWII typically used a grid of streets. This makes these particular places walkable.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 03-09-2017 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
If your environment were so "walkable" (as that term is frequently used in this forum) then what do you need transit for?
To reach parts of the metropolitan area that are miles away.

I think that a good bus system is worthwhile.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:17 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My post was to IshootNikon about my A/C and heat habits, not to the South Carolina poster.

I don't think I blew him/her off [I thought the posts here's what your preferences should be were the type of posts you disliked?]; though I don't particularly care being told I wouldn't want to walk in heat & humidity. How does he/she know know my preferences? Maybe I'd rather be outside regardless of weather. Yes, my summers are much cooler than South Carolina but we do get hot days and weeks one summer that get their typical conditions.
But you could see how someone living in Vegas or Phoenix might not want to walk out mid-day in 120+ degree weather. Your original point was dismissive of people who complained about not wanting to walk outside due to the weather.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
But you could see how someone living in Vegas or Phoenix might not want to walk out mid-day in 120+ degree weather. Your original point was dismissive of people who complained about not wanting to walk outside due to the weather.
I think the focus of the conversation has taken too far of a twist from reality. It's beneficial for a city to be walkable and compact even in extreme hot or cold weather. Being able to walk is just another possible way to get places, not the only way. Plus, transit uses air conditioning and heat when the weather is not nice. Having a more walkable environment allows for transit to get people closer to where they need to go IME. Neither of these options stop people from using a car to get in/around.

When you get into really hot or cold cities that are walkable, they often times have tunnels or pedestrian bridges. Montreal is a good example. Downtown, there's a huge network of underground tunnels. In walkable neighborhoods, transit can get you close and you can walk underground. Plus, with amenities spread-out in a walkable environment, you don't have to go far to get what you want (unless work is a long way away). I commute in all sorts of weather in Philly and I don't have a car. I walk one block to the subway, and then I can walk underground to a half block from my work.

Technically, I walk outside less than those who have to walk from the parking garage to work.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
It wasn't. It was a response to someone who [I thought] made a dismissive comment to me assuming I would choose not to walk in bad weather.

I was thinking more morning or evening walking assuming working regular hours.

Quote:
When you get into really hot or cold cities that are walkable, they often times have tunnels or pedestrian bridges. Montreal is a good example. Downtown, there's a huge network of underground tunnels. In walkable neighborhoods, transit can get you close and you can walk underground. Plus, with amenities spread-out in a walkable environment, you don't have to go far to get what you want (unless work is a long way away). I commute in all sorts of weather in Philly and I don't have a car. I walk one block to the subway, and then I can walk underground to a half block from my work.
dunno about Philadelphia, the NYC subway isn't much of an escape from the heat; the platforms are usually 10°F+ hotter than the surface.

Quote:
Having a more walkable environment allows for transit to get people closer to where they need to go IME. Neither of these options stop people from using a car to get in/around.
In high-density cities, it's fairly difficult to park exactly near your destination. So you'll end up walking a bit. To me, 5 or 10 minutes outside in the worst weather is still better than never being outside at all. Appears I'm in the minority here, but my point was that not everyone views "you can escape the weather" as a positive.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I pulled this from the article. Many areas within our cities you can move to mixed use places. Where I live a developer knocked down a bunch of old store fronts and built three story buildings on them. First floor is store fronts with the upper floors apartments or condos. Another development has stores on first, offices on second, living areas on the upper floors.

While it is true the developments that I am bringing up are not in the same neighborhoods as homes, the idea is that we do not allow that type of development in America. In Los Angeles former high rise commercial buildings have been changed to mixed use with apartments and condos along with retail and commercial space.

I have also been seeing places where the store front is part of the living area. One building has condo and a store connected some what. The idea and how they were marketed was as a work and living area. I would love to have one of these units.

"American zoning law (in all but its oldest cities) forecloses on the possibility of mixed-use development. This means traditional design patterns like shops and offices on the first floor with apartments above are impossible. Residences are constructed in special areas zoned for residential construction, while shopping and work take place in altogether different areas zoned for commercial development."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning