U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 AM
 
1,272 posts, read 1,111,771 times
Reputation: 1184

Advertisements

My city has experienced rampant gentrification for the last 15 years, but it has accelerated in the last 5. All new construction now requires 20% of units be designated as affordable housing

Somerville's Inclusionary Zoning Law Leads Nation | Somerville Community Corporation
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2017, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
13,490 posts, read 14,177,330 times
Reputation: 11374
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
My city has experienced rampant gentrification for the last 15 years, but it has accelerated in the last 5. All new construction now requires 20% of units be designated as affordable housing

Somerville's Inclusionary Zoning Law Leads Nation | Somerville Community Corporation
How much new construction can Somerville realistically have at this point? I mean, it's the most densely populated municipality in the state, and I presume upzoning is as politically fraught there as anywhere else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 AM
46H
 
1,318 posts, read 904,553 times
Reputation: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
My city has experienced rampant gentrification for the last 15 years, but it has accelerated in the last 5. All new construction now requires 20% of units be designated as affordable housing

Somerville's Inclusionary Zoning Law Leads Nation | Somerville Community Corporation
It is not "all new construction requires 20%". At least be accurate in your statements.

"Increases the inclusionary zoning rate to 20% citywide for all developments of 18 or more units. Developments of 8-17 units will be required to make 17.5% of the units affordable, and developments of 6-7 units will have the option of building an affordable unit or making a cash payment to the Somerville affordable housing trust fund."

It is zero on new construction of 5 units or less.

On 6-7 unit developments it is make one of the units affordable or pay some cash to Somerville. Who do you think pays the Somerville vig? So the already expensive 6-7 unit developments become more expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 02:01 PM
 
1,272 posts, read 1,111,771 times
Reputation: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
It is not "all new construction requires 20%". At least be accurate in your statements.

"Increases the inclusionary zoning rate to 20% citywide for all developments of 18 or more units. Developments of 8-17 units will be required to make 17.5% of the units affordable, and developments of 6-7 units will have the option of building an affordable unit or making a cash payment to the Somerville affordable housing trust fund."

It is zero on new construction of 5 units or less.

On 6-7 unit developments it is make one of the units affordable or pay some cash to Somerville. Who do you think pays the Somerville vig? So the already expensive 6-7 unit developments become more expensive.
It's still alot more than most other cities do, no city as diverse as ours that is experiencing this level of gentrification can maintain the current socio-economic mix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM
 
1,272 posts, read 1,111,771 times
Reputation: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
How much new construction can Somerville realistically have at this point? I mean, it's the most densely populated municipality in the state, and I presume upzoning is as politically fraught there as anywhere else.
9000 units, do you know the area? All of Union Square and Boynton Yards and Inner Belt will be developed and more housing is going into Assembly Square.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
13,490 posts, read 14,177,330 times
Reputation: 11374
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
9000 units, do you know the area? All of Union Square and Boynton Yards and Inner Belt will be developed and more housing is going into Assembly Square.
I had a friend who lived in Somerville when I was in graduate school, but it's been like 15 years since I spent time there.

Shouldn't the density go around Davis Square though? That's the area with T access. Everywhere else you have what - surface bus routes? Maybe you could walk to Sullivan Station from Inner Belt, but that wouldn't be pleasant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2017, 12:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
46,079 posts, read 47,369,248 times
Reputation: 15053
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I had a friend who lived in Somerville when I was in graduate school, but it's been like 15 years since I spent time there.

Shouldn't the density go around Davis Square though? That's the area with T access. Everywhere else you have what - surface bus routes? Maybe you could walk to Sullivan Station from Inner Belt, but that wouldn't be pleasant.
Assembly Square has a T station, as well. Kinda isolated from the rest of the city though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2017, 08:20 PM
 
1,272 posts, read 1,111,771 times
Reputation: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I had a friend who lived in Somerville when I was in graduate school, but it's been like 15 years since I spent time there.

Shouldn't the density go around Davis Square though? That's the area with T access. Everywhere else you have what - surface bus routes? Maybe you could walk to Sullivan Station from Inner Belt, but that wouldn't be pleasant.
They are currently expanding the T (subway) right through Somerville, 7 new stops I think. I live near Davis, not much room to expand here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2017, 01:33 AM
 
33,031 posts, read 24,848,083 times
Reputation: 9023
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
My city has experienced rampant gentrification for the last 15 years, but it has accelerated in the last 5. All new construction now requires 20% of units be designated as affordable housing

Somerville's Inclusionary Zoning Law Leads Nation | Somerville Community Corporation

Distributes the affordable units among households ranging from 50%-110% MFI for rental, and 80%-140% MFI for ownership.

OOPS! No provision for units affordable below 50% of Median Family Income (MFI).

Burger flipper affordability FAIL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 AM
 
16,785 posts, read 10,570,003 times
Reputation: 15397
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Distributes the affordable units among households ranging from 50%-110% MFI for rental, and 80%-140% MFI for ownership.

OOPS! No provision for units affordable below 50% of Median Family Income (MFI).

Burger flipper affordability FAIL.
Burger flipper can get a roommate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top