Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:42 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times

Advertisements

Wasn't Salt Lake City laid out as a planned city by the first Mormon settlers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:44 PM

927 posts, read 759,117 times
slc was way back long ago but not anymore. its car oriented now like la strip malls everywhere, people driving 40mph in residential areas

Old 08-01-2019, 08:02 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Google “Babcock Ranch”. Incredible planned community.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:38 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
I had to travel to Longview, Washington to work for a week as a young woman. I recall that it was touted as being a planned city.

Wikipedia has a list with links of planned cities and also planned communities, AKA "new towns."

Cities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_planned_cities

Communities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_community

Old 08-01-2019, 08:43 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Washington, DC.

Philadelphia and Savannah,GA are also planned cities.

Plenty of new suburbs are planned cities
Initially planned and laid out. Wasn't followed in one city. Original yes and that is the original city now its Core. But streets quickly got subdivided, alleys became actual streets and no more town squares as originally planned.

Confusing a street-grid city as if a fully planned city, as if in its entirety ..... is not true as a fully planned city. That is if only the original city of a few centuries ago was planned. You know what city I refer to ....

Old 08-02-2019, 12:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Google “Babcock Ranch”. Incredible planned community.
What's so incredible? Looks like just another huge housing development to me. No indication of any employment other than service industry. More chains and franchises, meh. Probably way too much commercial space for today's shrinking brick and mortar sector.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:52 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Columbia MD. Well situated between Washington and Baltimore, allowing commutes to either. Where it fell short: inclusionary zoning. It was supposed to be for all income levels but not enough at the low end.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:29 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Boulder City is one that comes to mind, built for the workers who put up Hoover Dam. The same may be true of Page, AZ, I don't know. Yes, Salt Lake City was planned out by the Mormon founders, but I would think only the "downtown" area surrounding the Temple, most of the rest of it, especially the suburbs, just grew up like most other cities.

On the far south side of Chicago, is the remains of a fully planned community built by railroad car builder George Pullman, although today the area isn't quite what George planned, LOL. I'm pretty sure Barack designated it as a national monument. Never been, but it sounds like an interesting place to visit (personally, I'd pack heat if I went, just to even the odds).

Old 08-02-2019, 02:45 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Columbia MD. Well situated between Washington and Baltimore, allowing commutes to either. Where it fell short: inclusionary zoning. It was supposed to be for all income levels but not enough at the low end.

Columbia had lots of other problems. Each 'village' had one shopping area with one gas station (Brand decided by developer) The street plan was impossible to figure out 30 years before GPS and there was little or no signage (because people in the neighborhood would know where their village shopping was located. There was little local employment for the first 20 years which meant most people commuted to Ft Meade or the Baltimore area. And there was little or no option other than private cars to do that.

It eventually outgrew those issues mainly when the original developer loosened the strings and allowed more retail based on consumer demand. It helped that the entire region grew based on government contracts and secondary government spending. But the lack of planned transportation infrastructure is still a problem.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:56 PM

151 posts, read 107,142 times
Several retirement communities built from scratch by a developer in Arkansas about 50 years ago.

Cherokee Village, Bella Vista, Hot Springs Village.

Some/ all later voted to become cities with a city govt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning