Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 10:20 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
i read that one issue with the new electric buses is the cost of charging stations
Electric and hybrid buses are still fairly new. I assume that the costs associated with maintaining them will decrease with time.

Quote:
Trolley buses are not in decline in Vancouver, at least not yet. I could see though how electric buses eventually may phase them out.
I think Vancouver will maintain them for a while due to the overall size of the system and the general terrain they cover. I do see them being gradually phased out with the proliferation of electric and hybrid buses since they do offer some of the same advantages.

To further elaborate on some of the other systems in Canada:

I know there was some opposition to the termination of trolleybus service in Edmonton.

Toronto had an extensive system as well, but it's now completely gone.

I did hear rumours about Laval wanting to develop a new system but that project is either on hiatus or been dropped altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
We’re talking about trolley buses and not trolley streetcars, right?
Yeah. In North America:
Streetcar and trolleys = Tram
Trackless trolleys = Trolleybus

Old 08-20-2019, 12:16 AM

5,763 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I'm a trolleybus fan, because I grew up in San Francisco and used to ride them many times per week. They climbed the hills of SF better than any other large vehicle could, and were very quiet.

Mexico City has a big fleet of trolleybuses. The city transit system bought many hundreds from US cities in the 1950s and 1960s. Many are still in service, with millions and millions of miles logged on each. They are probably the most used vehicles on the planet, in terms of distance traveled. It would be interesting if there was a world record recorded on this.

For Mexico City, a place with horrible air pollution problems, the benefits of the trolleybuses is they don't emit pollution like the majority of other buses in the city. I recall a visit to Beijing, China 20+ years ago, and remember seeing lots of trolleybuses there also. Again, a big benefit is obvious in a place that has bad air pollution.

I found this on Wiki listing all the systems from around the world. Not surprising that the majority are in the countries of the former USSR, and other nations of eastern Europe. There are not any here in Leipzig, my current residence, but trams with overhead trolleys rule the streets!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolle...age_by_country

Old 08-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I'm a trolleybus fan, because I grew up in San Francisco and used to ride them many times per week. They climbed the hills of SF better than any other large vehicle could, and were very quiet.
Likewise. I'm a big trolleybus and tram/streetcar fan. My fondness for them developed over the years. It started off when I was kid, where I was drawn to the wires and tracks, so I tried to figure out what streets had them. It's only as I grew older that I came to appreciate them for the quiet they provided as well as being more environmentally friendly. The hills of SF, Seattle and Vancouver are one of the main reasons why these three west coast cities have maintained their systems.

Quote:
Mexico City has a big fleet of trolleybuses. The city transit system bought many hundreds from US cities in the 1950s and 1960s. Many are still in service, with millions and millions of miles logged on each. They are probably the most used vehicles on the planet, in terms of distance traveled. It would be interesting if there was a world record recorded on this.

For Mexico City, a place with horrible air pollution problems, the benefits of the trolleybuses is they don't emit pollution like the majority of other buses in the city. I recall a visit to Beijing, China 20+ years ago, and remember seeing lots of trolleybuses there also. Again, a big benefit is obvious in a place that has bad air pollution.
I was last in China back in 2002, so nearly 20 years ago and I do vividly remember both Beijing and Shanghai having extensive trolleybus systems.

Quote:
I found this on Wiki listing all the systems from around the world. Not surprising that the majority are in the countries of the former USSR, and other nations of eastern Europe. There are not any here in Leipzig, my current residence, but trams with overhead trolleys rule the streets!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolle...age_by_country
That wiki article is what I consult to find out about different trolleybus systems around the world. Sadly, they seem to be on the decline. Africa and Oceania are the two continents fully devoid of them, now that the Wellington system has closed down.
Even in Europe and across the former Soviet Republics, a number of systems have closed down since the dawn of the new millennium.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:30 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Speaking to Boston - The only reason there are still lines running as trackless trolleys is because the 1912 vintage Harvard Bus Tunnel can't handle the exhaust of running all diesel service in it and there's no real way to renovate it so that it can.

It's possible they could even get cut for diesel buses once they can manage a mile or two on battery power only, but for environmental optics it's probably more realistic that it won't happen until they've got full battery buses in service to replace them with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning