Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 11:42 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I live in the Charlotte area and most don't like I-277 in uptown. As Mutiny77 said, it cuts of a lot of uptown from surrounding neighborhoods. Growth is greatly accelerating beyond I-277 now, but it's still a bit of a barrier that we wish just wasn't there.
It does cut off neighborhoods. It seems to be a common characteristic of southern cities. Many thought the wheel and spoke design would be beneficial for interstate commerce, but failed to consider the negative impacts on historic neighborhoods. Mute may have insight on what could be done, if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 11:57 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It does cut off neighborhoods. It seems to be a common characteristic of southern cities. Many thought the wheel and spoke design would be beneficial for interstate commerce, but failed to consider the negative impacts on historic neighborhoods. Mute may have insight on what could be done, if anything.
The Spoke and Wheel design is great for connecting suburban entities but for core areas it disconnects too many urban districts from the core causing the core to become more reliant on its suburbs than its direct outlying areas, I.E. car-dependency. Ingenuity is needed to make a Spoke and Wheel design work without destroying intown areas, and that typically involves expensive tunneling or capping sub-surface freeways.

The Downtown Connector, is.... ...better at disrupting as few neighborhoods as possible but merging two 8 lane freeways together into a mega-highway severely disrupts flow, not only because the merge of countless vehicles into one super-highway but also because highways can only become so large before they begin to lose efficiency in lane count...meaning... a 4 lane highway is about twice as efficient as a 2 lane highway, but and 8 lane highway is only about half more efficent than a 4 lane highway. This is because local traffic leaving from the left lanes have to migrate too far to the right to exit, that plus the exiting lanes are still a bottleneck when they leave the road. Its better to instead segregate local and thru traffic into dedicated lanes while making it so that thru traffic is unhindered by local traffic.

For the interstate system in general, The original Eisenhower Interstate Act was NOT intended to go through the core of cities. Eisenhower himself predicted that their presence within cores would cause major disruption and would also become infeasible to keep up with the demands of traffic. Eisenhower wanted to bypass the cores and distribute inner-city travel by high capacity highways supported by user fees (I.E. Toll Roads) Chambers of commerce as well as greedy politicians are the ones who changed this in order to promote commercial and industrial growth, which was successful but not without a plethora of consequences.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:26 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
The more you close-in districts near your downtown AREN'T cut off by freeways or other major highways physically or psychologically the better.

It's hard to come up with metrics for a downtown since they're all unique and any set criteria will have exceptions. But let's say it's important for 1% (or better yet 2%, or well over) of a mid-sized US metro's working population to live within a mile of the middle of the CBD. Of course the average village would be 100% and lower Manhattan wouldn't hit 1% to illustrate its imperfections.

But I'll guess that Charlotte and its peers might be in the 1% range today, and would prefer to top 2%. Adding a freeway would typically be a major hurdle.

That said, if the alternative is a surface boulevard, that might be just as bad or worse. A freeway can be a tunnel, a ditch, or a viaduct. If every street crosses it, you avoid much of the problem from a pedestrian viewpoint.

I'm a car-free militant pedestrian and transit supporter, but I advocated for a 1.8-mile deep bypass tunnel to replace a viaduct/tunnel/surface highway in my city. The tunnel just opened and we're now building a surface boulevard to replace some local access. The main reason I supported this was we're shaped like an hourglass and the pass-through traffic would have otherwise tried to use surface streets through Downtown, which the State would have required to cater to pass-throughs (some traffic would have gone away over time, but not all). The second reason is that I didn't want an overnight seismic change that would drive out businesses from Downtown or industrial districts whose trucks pass through. We should focus on transit for any new capacity, but maintain the existing capacity otherwise.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:51 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
The Downtown Connector merge is a problem, but its exacerbated by the poor metro planning in Atlanta. Building far-flung suburbs in the boonies only to have people commute to Downtown and Midtown Atlanta by single-occupancy vehicle is the real culprit. There should be a heavier concentration on densifying the interior neighborhoods and on expanding MARTA.

All cities should be looking at ways to reduce the impact of freeways built downtown, not adding new ones. Atlanta should consider burying or capping the Downtown Connector between MLK drive and 14th Street.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:16 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Probably not.. these highways rarely increase quality of life for residents or improve traffic flow for more than a few years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
View detailed profiles of: