Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 05:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There are also townships and boroughs.
Yes, those are some other ways to incorporate. Perhaps in some States a municipality can be incorporated as a "Holler," but I doubt any State allows incorporation as a Suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 06:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Yes, those are some other ways to incorporate. Perhaps in some States a municipality can be incorporated as a "Holler," but I doubt any State allows incorporation as a Suburb.
Every state has different terminology. For example, Pennsylvania doesn't have "towns" except for one, Bloomsburg. Everything else in PA is a city (with several different classes IIRC), borough, or a township. Every square inch of land in PA is incorporated in some way.

Colorado has towns and cities, also land that is "unincorporated county".
https://ballotpedia.org/Cities_in_Colorado

New York and Wisconsin have "towns" that are more like Pennsylvania's townships. ETC.

The one characteristic that positively identifies a suburb is its location near another larger city. I would go on to say with no or little open space between it and the next such municipality.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:46 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Every state has different terminology. For example, Pennsylvania doesn't have "towns" except for one, Bloomsburg. Everything else in PA is a city (with several different classes IIRC), borough, or a township. Every square inch of land in PA is incorporated in some way.

Colorado has towns and cities, also land that is "unincorporated county".
https://ballotpedia.org/Cities_in_Colorado

New York and Wisconsin have "towns" that are more like Pennsylvania's townships. ETC.

The one characteristic that positively identifies a suburb is its location near another larger city. I would go on to say with no or little open space between it and the next such municipality.
In New England, a city has a mayor and a city council. A town has selectmen and a town meeting. Those positions are usually unpaid. Small towns have open town meetings. Larger towns elect town meeting representatives. The town meeting approves the annual budget and things like new schools and zoning law changes. Cities are usually larger population but people can vote to change to city mayor-city council government for any size town. Palmer MA has city government at population 12,000.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In New England, a city has a mayor and a city council. A town has selectmen and a town meeting. Those positions are usually unpaid. Small towns have open town meetings. Larger towns elect town meeting representatives. The town meeting approves the annual budget and things like new schools and zoning law changes. Cities are usually larger population but people can vote to change to city mayor-city council government for any size town. Palmer MA has city government at population 12,000.
Interesting!

Old 10-21-2019, 07:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
12,000 isn't even the size of a major suburb. I realize that some States allow incorporation of even less populated cities. In California a city of 50,000 would be considered small.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:11 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
12,000 isn't even the size of a major suburb. I realize that some States allow incorporation of even less populated cities. In California a city of 50,000 would be considered small.
My point is that in New England, “city†is a political organization reflecting the type of local government and has nothing to do with population density or “incorporationâ€. It’s a place with almost no county government so unincorporated pretty much doesn’t exist beyond remote sections of Maine and New Hampshire with extremely low population density. Framingham MA is population 73,000 and has town meeting and selectmen. It’s a town even though it’s high population density.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:54 AM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
NY also has villages, which are generally incorporated, small scaled incoporated communities. For instance, this is a village of about 13,000 people: https://www.newyorkupstate.com/news/...-zip-code.html

You also have villages that can have less than 1000 people like this one here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7981...6!9m2!1b1!2i37

Old 10-25-2019, 11:59 AM

The smallest city in Colorado is Black Hawk, pop. 118.
Populations of Colorado (CO) Cities - ranked by Population Size - page 2

"In all, there are 271 incorporated municipalities in Colorado. There are 196 towns and 73 cities. The municipalities are governed under one of five different structures. This includes consolidated city and county, home rule municipality, statutory city, statutory town, and territorial charter municipality. The laws of the state make only a few distinctions between cities and towns. As a general rule, the cities are more populated than towns, although there are some exceptions."
http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...lation/cities/

Old 10-25-2019, 01:18 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, y'all are just arguing about which vocabulary words to apply to different kinds of municipalities.

A suburb is a municipality (whether called "town", "village", "city", or other) in close proximity to a large municipality (whatever the large one is called) and within the larger one's metropolitan area (using whatever definition you wish). That is what a suburb is.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:36 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If we want to talk definitions and word origins, "suburb" comes from "sub-urban", meaning not quite urban. Suburb is a place, and sub-urban is a description of how that place is built and populated.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
cookie cutter developments.
My neighborhood in Cincinnati was as cookie cutter as it gets - three or four different models of Cape Cod houses on more than dozen streets of a subdivision built in the 1920s.

And there are lawns.

Nevermind the row house neighborhoods in Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc. Talk about cookie cutter. Right in the city.

Quote:
One or two hiking/ recreational parks for the "family" experience.
Yep, we had that, too in my city neighborhood.

Quote:
Recently started seeing the "urgent cares"
We have those in the city.

Quote:
No fire /trash burning,
Can't do that in Cincinnati, either.

Quote:
I am not aware of any state where a place can be incorporated as a suburb, but as a City, Village or Town, and some never bothered to incorporate at all!
Suburb isn't a political subdivision, though; city, village, etc. are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning