Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 11:13 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Give them time, they'll start purchasing cruise ships to be housing complexes. And just in case you may think it hasn't happened yet elsewhere, it has.
https://www.businessinsider.com/perm...people-2018-10
https://www.businessinsider.com/what...o-cruise-ships
That's some real "Outside of the box" thinking there, got to hand it to them. At these prices, why not simply build "artificial islands", as China has done, in order to claim additional territorial waters? I would imagine anyone renting a 50 s.f. "pod" would avoid going "home" as much as possible. So what's the point? I'd rather get a small van or RV and live in it, if you could find a place to park it.

But wouldn't it be much more economical to simply put in some kind of high-speed train or monorail, maybe like spokes on a wheel, to allow people to be able to commute inland twenty or thirty miles in a reasonable amount of time, to new suburban areas? If done properly, I could see it "crashing" SF property values, so maybe that's why there would be resistance to it. When I was young (in the original "Dirty Harry" / Streets of San Francisco") era, I always thought SF would be a great place to live, or vacation in. Today, I have no desire to even visit there. So while I can understand people wanting to work there for a "big" salary, why in God's Name would anyone not making the Big Bucks want to live there at the current asking prices, if you were able to commute there in less than an hour each way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 01:04 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You notice he was whispering to avoid annoying the other guests. The Japanese culture is different than ours. They prize courtesy and unobtrusiveness. I doubt if a similar setup in San Francisco would be as clean, quiet or as comfortable for long.

The society I remember in our state as a boy, stressed politeness and consideration for others. There were no discipline problems in classrooms, as teachers were respected. Any student who acted-up in class would have been quickly subdued by peer-pressure from the rest of us. Our neighbors were never subjected to disturbances and we enjoyed the same. Things started going to Hell here, when we were besieged by hordes of emigrants from the Eastern big cities, who thought they were escaping from the mess they'd made back there. Instead, they just brought it out here with them.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:34 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
A developer is proposing new housing plans to the city of San Francisco that include 88 50-square-foot underground "sleeping pods."

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...ng-pods-2020-1
No. Not even in NYC.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:22 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
surrounded by colleagues at work. surrounded by people at home.

to each his own, but no job would be worth this lifestyle described in the original post.

I'd lose my mind if I never had private space to be alone.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Goodness no! Our bedroom alone is 600sf, I don't normally suffer from claustrophobia but something that small would probably do it.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:27 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
$1,375 one time, not monthly.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:49 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
I wouldn't pay $150 a month..

Old 01-27-2020, 03:09 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
5x10 underground sleeping pod? Sounds like a cemetery plot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
All you need is a hearty earthquake to make it happen.
One of the best comments I saw on article on SF Gate essentially said that; the city is trying to save on funeral costs when the next big one hits.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
SF would be fine, NYC not so much. If the people using them were of the level of business class flyers, it would be very quiet and clean. From the pov of a business traveler as myself, the eastern half of the US is extremely more in your line of thoughts and the western half is.
Poor screening in the name of "not stepping on toes / getting hit with a lawsuit" would indeed let that one bad apple impact an entire row / floor of these things.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:23 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You notice he was whispering to avoid annoying the other guests. The Japanese culture is different than ours. They prize courtesy and unobtrusiveness. I doubt if a similar setup in San Francisco would be as clean, quiet or as comfortable for long.
Capsule hotels have been around for decades and people don’t live in them. They just use them to stay for a night or even for a few hours. They do have a lot of one-room apartments. The standard size is typically around 6 tatami, which is just under 100sqft. A lot of apartments are also loft style with a bed upstairs and the living area/kitchen/bath downstairs and a washing machine that might be on a balcony. As four courtesy and unobtrusiveness, that may be the case, but I lived over people who decided having band practice at 11pm on a weeknight and coming home drunk and slamming cabinets and fighting was absolutely ok. So no, not everyone values unobtrusiveness. It is no different than living in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning