Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 12:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 21,071,836 times

Advertisements

I prefer larger cities out of necessity as I don't drive and preference as I like being in walkable communities close to if not right up in where the action is. If I had kids, I admit that I might have decamped to the suburbs at some point.

I recently spent the longest decade of my life during my two year stay in Dallas. As a Northeastern guy, it was like one huge sprawling suburb with little walkability and sparse transit for its size. A lot of the suburbs, especially due north, may have been "shinier" but unless one's job or kids compelled them to move out there, it was bland and even more car-dependent.

Washington DC may be an exception for me as since the city proper is so small, many of its "inside the Beltway" suburbs function as an urban extension. Plus I like being able to choose federal politicians with full voting privileges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 01:29 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,370,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
I prefer larger cities out of necessity as I don't drive and preference as I like being in walkable communities close to if not right up in where the action is. If I had kids, I admit that I might have decamped to the suburbs at some point.

I recently spent the longest decade of my life during my two year stay in Dallas. As a Northeastern guy, it was like one huge sprawling suburb with little walkability and sparse transit for its size. A lot of the suburbs, especially due north, may have been "shinier" but unless one's job or kids compelled them to move out there, it was bland and even more car-dependent.

Washington DC may be an exception for me as since the city proper is so small, many of its "inside the Beltway" suburbs function as an urban extension. Plus I like being able to choose federal politicians with full voting privileges.
Its kind of a contradiction that the biggest cities in America are the least car dependent and the smallest are the most.

I could and should be the opposite, in which case I think towns and small cities would be much better off. The smaller scale can take advantage of walking, as well as some minor public transportation.

But I doubt that will ever happen.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:08 PM

77 posts, read 41,527 times
Because of COVID, in the last month I’ve really been questioning how many urban amenities I really “need”. Turns out, very few.

I’m not sure if this feeling/belief will last after the pandemic ends. But now I’m wondering if it’s really worth it to pay the huge real estate costs of living in an expensive suburb near a major city (Chicago).

Old 04-14-2020, 03:10 PM

8,350 posts, read 4,593,690 times
I do prefer a larger city, though I definitely acknowledge that they come with their own set of baggage. For me it’s a matter of having easier access to ethnic foods and a greater variety of cultures, activities, parks, and so in and so forth.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:10 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,370,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakParkForestParkExile View Post
Because of COVID, in the last month I’ve really been questioning how many urban amenities I really “need”. Turns out, very few.

I’m not sure if this feeling/belief will last after the pandemic ends. But now I’m wondering if it’s really worth it to pay the huge real estate costs of living in an expensive suburb near a major city (Chicago).
You really just need a good source of water, some pacified nature, neighborhood supplies, and some other stuff to have a good time.

I'm with my parents right now, and our town is usually empty because people go out to meet up with their friends and family.

Now people are outside in their front lawns talking to each other like the old days. Its a nice change of pace.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:10 PM

7,727 posts, read 6,290,027 times
I lived in the city for 6 months, that was more than enough. I could not wait to get back to suburbia, and that is where I remain many decades later.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:58 PM

5,324 posts, read 5,049,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I know! I was rarely in my car before but now I haven’t been in it for over two months and still able to get all my business (limited), exercise and social distancing that I need to survive and keep sane. I would be going crazy in the suburbs and even in the country unless it was spectacularly beautiful setting like A River Runs Through It these days.
Here's the thing, at my parent's house in an exurb of Colorado Springs, I can walk or take a quick drive to numerous hiking areas, but I have to drive 10-20 minutes to get stuff in town. At my apartment in Denver, I can walk to many things and it's a quick drive to most things, but it's a 45 minute drive to hike outside. I find I end up going outside more often than I go to stores or venues, so that's why I think smaller is better, you get a better balance.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:59 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,811,640 times
Actually I live in a suburb next to a large city. But it's incorporated as a City and has many city amenities including rapid transit and live entertainment. Many places are walkable. Then again I once lived in a sprawling suburb almost car free because I could use a bicycle.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:20 PM

5,427 posts, read 4,413,327 times
I really don't have a choice. Since college graduation, I have needed to make use of my degree. I can only make use of my degree in a city. Additionally, I have needed to have a plethora of mating options, and that can only be achieved in a city. The primary way in which I have met sexual partners is through in-person cold approaching, and in-person cold approaching isn't nearly as efficient as social circle introductions, which tends to be the way things are done in smaller areas. In-person cold approaching has its downsides, but I do not perceive it as bad as the apps, which can really only be done in cities as well because there's a ton of swiping and texting.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:03 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,649,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I do prefer a larger city, though I definitely acknowledge that they come with their own set of baggage. For me it’s a matter of having easier access to ethnic foods and a greater variety of cultures, activities, parks, and so in and so forth.
this!

I am a senior, retired to a small mountain area. I love my life here but I miss the food choices most of all that city life affords! Especially now. I dream about great take out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning