Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Limited number of riders makes T inefficient - Tribune-Review

Port Authority of Allegheny County spends twice as much to run a T car than a bus, yet fares from the light-rail system netted just 2 percent of the authority's total budget in 2006, federal data shows.

The 25-mile T system opened in 1984 at a price of $937 million and the goal of bringing rail service into Downtown. The light-rail line awkwardly serves only communities in the southern and western suburbs and does not extend north or east, where most of the authority's riders live.

Bus revenue topped $56 million in 2006, while the T generated $6.5 million -- enough to pay just 2 percent of the agency's total expenses, according to federal transit data.

So they spent $937,000,000 on to build a rail system that generates $6,500,000 a year GROSS? At that rate, it would take 150 years to pay for it even if operating it was free, but I guess its ok since it was taxpayer funded!! (anyone who does investments would understand that this is a negative $100+Million a year loss and might find it interesting that they just spent hundreds of millions more to expand the system a few more miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Limited number of riders makes T inefficient - Tribune-Review

Port Authority of Allegheny County spends twice as much to run a T car than a bus, yet fares from the light-rail system netted just 2 percent of the authority's total budget in 2006, federal data shows.

The 25-mile T system opened in 1984 at a price of $937 million and the goal of bringing rail service into Downtown. The light-rail line awkwardly serves only communities in the southern and western suburbs and does not extend north or east, where most of the authority's riders live.

Bus revenue topped $56 million in 2006, while the T generated $6.5 million -- enough to pay just 2 percent of the agency's total expenses, according to federal transit data.

So they spent $937,000,000 on to build a rail system that generates $6,500,000 a year GROSS? At that rate, it would take 150 years to pay for it even if operating it was free, but I guess its ok since it was taxpayer funded!!
How much money does your local highway or roadway make? Does it cover capital expenses? Does it cover operating costs? How about the local post office? The police force? Fire service?

Rail transit is a public service. It is not a private business.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
I guess Investment-Doers must see the world a little differently from the rest...

Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
you guys ALWAYS seem to forget that your roads are HEAVILY SUBSIDIZED.
your airplanes and airlines are HEAVILY SUBSIDIZED.

what makes railroads and "light rail" (pretty much bringing back the street cars - and most every city in the country seemed to have those, even dinky little Knoxville, Tenn. - that the auto industry destroyed 50 years ago) such a dirty, dirty word?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
What are you people talking about? It's not an anti-public-transit post. It's an anti-rail-because-buses-are-superior post.

Light rail is stupid on such an immense level. Liberals always seem to fall in love with the most expensive project.

It can't pay for itself and once the rail is there, it's there for good (relatively speaking). However, buses can change routes and frequency. They can be repaired by nearly any mechanic. (Their power cords don't ice up like light rail does.) They flow with traffic (rather than interrupting it). Their fuel systems can be changed relatively easily to adapt them to new, more eco-friendly fuels.

Light rail is just stupid on so many levels.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
What are you people talking about? It's not an anti-public-transit post. It's an anti-rail-because-buses-are-superior post.

Light rail is stupid on such an immense level. Liberals always seem to fall in love with the most expensive project.

It can't pay for itself and once the rail is there, it's there for good (relatively speaking). However, buses can change routes and frequency. They can be repaired by nearly any mechanic. (Their power cords don't ice up like light rail does.) They flow with traffic (rather than interrupting it). Their fuel systems can be changed relatively easily to adapt them to new, more eco-friendly fuels.

Light rail is just stupid on so many levels.
I tend to agree with everything except..."Liberals always seem to fall in love with the most expensive project." Nothing to back that up at all. I didn't know this was ideologically divided. My city is very conservative and has a light rail system. Unfortunately, I am just now remembering a current very expensive war that liberals wanted no part of...

Old 06-24-2008, 11:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Unfortunately, I am just now remembering a current very expensive war that liberals wanted no part of...
U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Plenty of liberals voting yea...Reid, Kerry, Clinton...

Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Plenty of liberals voting yea...Reid, Kerry, Clinton...
Well, I didn't know liberals were limited to elected liars. I was talking about the millions of citizens out there. The liberals I know didn't support this three trillion dollar debacle, thus undermining your contention. But, again, why is ideology even in this thread? Plenty of boondoggle municipal projects have been backed by conservatives.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
How much money does your local highway or roadway make? Does it cover capital expenses? Does it cover operating costs? How about the local post office? The police force? Fire service?

Rail transit is a public service. It is not a private business.
Here is where your posting is wrong.

Roadways and highways are covered with taxes placed upon the individuals that use them.. (gasoline tax, sales taxes on autos etc), and the post office gets nothing from the taxpayers, they are now an independent corporation owned by the government.

And, since the rail service can not even make enough money to keep itself afloat, the question is why should the taxpayers continue to fund something that they themself do not deem worthy? They cant even use the system so why are we funding it again?

If people stopped using roads, the same argument would apply but even with gas prices being as high as they are, people continue to drive.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I tend to agree with everything except..."Liberals always seem to fall in love with the most expensive project." Nothing to back that up at all. I didn't know this was ideologically divided. My city is very conservative and has a light rail system. Unfortunately, I am just now remembering a current very expensive war that liberals wanted no part of...
Please name a city thats run by conservatives, where there is a transit system thats losing nearly $1Billion, and continues to be funded. If you can then your point is valid.

What city do you live in and is the rail system losing this type of money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning