Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:48 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
There are parts of Boston and Philly that have streets this narrow
Not to any real extent, though. The narrowest streets in Boston, for example, would be some of the "lanes" on Beacon Hill, such as this one:

Streetview Link - Boston

But this is limited in scale and scope. And notice how this is a residential alley; you don't see little street-level businesses scattered around as you would in the old quarter of a European city.

For comparison, here is a street from the old quarter of Toulouse, which I picked because the metro area as a whole is one of the most suburbanized and car-centric in all of Western Europe:

Streetview Link - Toulouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Not to any real extent, though. The narrowest streets in Boston, for example, would be some of the "lanes" on Beacon Hill, such as this one:

Streetview Link - Boston

But this is limited in scale and scope. And notice how this is a residential alley; you don't see little street-level businesses scattered around as you would in the old quarter of a European city.

For comparison, here is a street from the old quarter of Toulouse, which I picked because the metro area as a whole is one of the most suburbanized and car-centric in all of Western Europe:

Are there any US cities that mimic that?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

Streetview Link - Boston

Well these are streets in phildelphia, actually a 5 minute walk from all the skyscrapers, as narrow as what you show in images, though I agree there are some areas very narrow in Eurpose, some streets in rome and naples a rediculous. But there are block after block of these mazes, many can not fit a car

take a gander

iseminger street philadelphia - Google Maps

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-09-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
This is also in the area of the above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz3KH5WR0Ec

Old 11-17-2011, 04:37 AM

15 posts, read 25,169 times
i have voted London Europe's most exciting city for the second consecutive year, beating Paris and Barcelona to the top spot.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,286 times
I can only speak for American cities I've been to.

The city that reminded me most of Vancouver was Miami. Climatically, culturally - no, but outside of Miami Beach, the sea of sleek highrises facing the water reminded me of Vancouver a lot in terms of how it's thought-out. Culturally I'd pair Vancouver with San Francisco.

The city that reminded me most of Montreal was Seattle. Blue-collar, working class vibe, with a slightly gritty but full of character downtown surrounded by sleepy, slightly drab suburbs, conifers, and water.

( As an aside, I really don't get the pairing of Seattle and Vancouver that's so often made - they feel completely different to me, aside from the backdrop. )

Toronto feels like any sprawly North-American city anywhere. I'm not saying it's all bad, I just don't get a patricularly distinctive feeling from it. Perhaps San Jose minus the good weather?

Calgary and Edmonton seem like brothers of Salt Lake City. Clean, new, car-culture sprawlathons.

Winnipeg and Mobile seem like an odd pairing, but there's something a little lost-feeling about both cities; like their core around a port or in Winnipeg's case, the railway, isn't enough to keep the city busy despite evident modernization.

Charlottetown, PEI is a northern, smaller, quieter sibling of Charleston, South Carolina. If you look at a map, there are a great deal of geographical similarities, too; both cities growing inland and over bridges from a historic wedge between two estuaries.

Victoria, BC is either a tiny, provincialized shred of San Francisco or oversized version of Santa Cruz, California.

Quebec city doesn't have counterpart.

I've never been to Ottawa.

Though there's much I like about living in Canadian cities, their planning and look don't really leave me in awe.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:38 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I nominate Portland OR. The State has an urban growth boundary that hems in development. However I heard one industry was unable to expand due to the boundary. It also has the ridiculous effect that land outside the boundary, even 100 m, is worth $5000 per acre when inside it is worth $100000.
Portland's dyed-in-the-wool western American, there's nothing European about it. There is a split in these responses between people who are naming U.S. cities that actually resemble European cities (Boston, D.C.) and people who equate European with lack of suburban sprawl (Portland, Calgary).

Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_Arbor View Post
I never knew Lexington had a urban growth boundary- good post

I would plug Riverside, IL for being designed similar to an English Garden Suburb.
Riverside is probably the first, or one of the first, master-planned cities. But it was designed as a suburb, Chicago was already a thriving city just ten miles away by rail. I understand that originally it was acceptable to keep livestock, but most industry was forbidden. It's "long common" is an attractive feature not often seen in modern places.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post

The city that reminded me most of Montreal was Seattle. Blue-collar, working class vibe, with a slightly gritty but full of character downtown surrounded by sleepy, slightly drab suburbs, conifers, and water.

:
Seattle does not strike me as "working class". The downtown looks like "Yuppieville, USA". The vibe is Microsoft geeks.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:51 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Seattle does not strike me as "working class". The downtown looks like "Yuppieville, USA". The vibe is Microsoft geeks.
Did you notice the giant multimodal port immediately south of downtown? Or the Boeing plant? Or the long-haul fishing fleets off of Magnolia and Ballard? Or the commodity terminals along the sound? The BNSF railyard?

There is lots of tech in Seattle itself but Microsoft HQ is across the lake in Belleview. Seattle is a very nice with a good downtown and that is not unrelated to its physical constraints for sprawl, good regional transit and solid land-use decisions ... NOT because it's filled with yuppies. There are plenty of yuppies, but if that's all you saw, you must not have looked around too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning