U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 PM

5,969 posts, read 8,191,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Oh I can back my statement up
The population of my small town has been pretty stable for the last 30 years. I dont know why you would bring up the population of a small town of almost 14,000. Here is some facts for you to read on the growth of the North. I would consider it stable for the most part.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher...Id=l:999227484
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:51 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,953,003 times
Some ghost towns and near-ghost towns of the "Sunbelt" include

Best, Texas - Once had a population of 3,500 now has a population of two or less.

Handbook of Texas Online - BEST, TX

Brewster, Florida - Company town that got closed down and demolished in the 1960s.

Brewster - Ghost Town

Crown King, Arizona - Mine closed in the 1950s, a one-room school and a saloon remain.

Crownkingaz.com History

Delamar, Nevada

Delamar, Nevada - The Widow Maker Mining Camp

Goldfield, Nevada - In 1906 it had 30,000 people and was Nevada's largest town. Nowadays it has about 440.

Goldfield, Nevada (http://www.accessesmeralda.com/Goldfield.htm - broken link)

Rosewood, Florida - A town destroyed by an anti-black riot. The story became the basis of a John Singleton film.

African Americans in Florida - Google Books
The Real Rosewood

Santa Claus, Arizona - More of a defunct tourist attraction than town, but interesting.

Santa's Land Ruins, Santa Claus, Arizona

Thurber, Texas - At one times its population may have been over 8,000. By the late 1930s mining declined and the town collapsed. It had a population of 8 in 2000.

Handbook of Texas Online - THURBER, TX

Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM

27,768 posts, read 27,084,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree that there are areas of Camden that are severe dispair. However Camden is far from being dead. I would not consider a city with a major state university and medical institutions, a thriving waterfront, luxury condos, rail and light rail service, major arena, and a baseball team to be a city that is dieing.

Camden Waterfront

Victor Lofts

Susquehanna Bank > Susquehanna Bank Center - Live Nation Event Calendar

Camden Riversharks - riversharks.com

Home | Rutgers University | Camden

About Us | Cooper University Hospital - South Jersey, New Jersey & Philadelphia
Add to that, for those who don't know, a location right across the river from one of the larger and more vibrant downtowns in the US (Philadelphia) to which it has mass transit service. I'd wager that though Camden is definitely at or around its nadir, we will probably see it as a fairly prosperous city within our lifetimes.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 PM

226 posts, read 589,526 times
Goldfield, Nevada has an amazing history. It's wild how you drive into town and there are nothing but trailers and old rusted cars, then when you get to the old downtown, there are a handful of old royal looking structures, giving a hint of what was. modern ruins.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:30 PM

17,444 posts, read 25,255,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
How do you figure the "Eastern Rust Belt" cities of Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Rochester are poised for a big come back, when all three have seen their populations decline over the last decade? Milwaukee, on the other hand, is the only Rust Belt city that has managed to add to its population.

Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2000 - 334,563
2006 - 312,819
Pittsburgh's resillience has attracted some attention. That's why it was chosen as the site of the G20 Conference.

World leaders to hold economic summit in Pittsburgh

The Economist rated Pittsburgh as having the highest quality of life of any US city.

"...because of our population loss, 'that means less people needing services so they're not overburdened'"...

Read more: Pittsburgh ranked tops in U.S. by The Economist

Expansion Magazine names Pittsburgh as amongst the most business friendly cities in the US. BTW that Wiki article you linked to mentions how Pittsburgh has avoided the worst of the economic crisis.

Also, Pittsburgh has the lowest unemployment of any major metro area in the US:

Troubled Pittsburgh Economy Doing Better than Most, According to Pittsburgh Regional Indicator Project

Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2000 - 292,648
2008 - 276,059 [/quote]

Buffalo has typical Rust Belt unemployment right now but is making investments in its future and also stands to gain from the close proximity of Toronto. The Metro areas of Toronto and Buffalo are merging.

BTW I hope the Milwaukee economy DOES recover as it seems to be doing.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:41 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,458,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree that there are areas of Camden that are severe dispair. However Camden is far from being dead. I would not consider a city with a major state university and medical institutions, a thriving waterfront, luxury condos, rail and light rail service, major arena, and a baseball team to be a city that is dieing.

Camden Waterfront

Victor Lofts

Susquehanna Bank > Susquehanna Bank Center - Live Nation Event Calendar

Camden Riversharks - riversharks.com

Home | Rutgers University | Camden

About Us | Cooper University Hospital - South Jersey, New Jersey & Philadelphia
I had all those places in mind when i posted the city.
It's just that these places are practically all in one concentrated area... It's like they left half the city to die and rot away.

I never seen a city like it... There's huge potential on one end of Camden, and there's as you said, some of the most severe despair on the other.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:39 PM

7,653 posts, read 16,149,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Duluth, Minnesota
I wouldn't exactly say that. It's lost population, and the 1980's were really bleak, but it's hardly "dead" by any standards.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,953,003 times
//www.city-data.com/top2/c506.html

Some of the towns or cities they list as having the worst decline from 2000-2006 are likely "Hurricane Katrina" related. Although near the top is Pecos, Texas which apparently peaked in 1970 and has been in a notable decline since 1990.

Handbook of Texas Online - PECOS, TX
//www.city-data.com/city/Pecos-Texas.html
What happened to Pecos?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 AM

15,587 posts, read 24,330,859 times
Detroit.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:39 PM

226 posts, read 589,526 times
I hear that alot of the gulf coast cities are going the way of atlantis since the hurricanes. New Orleans is making a comeback, but others not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or