Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:29 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Been looking at pics of Paris this morning (sigh).

People often lament the fact (and by "people" I mean "I" lol) that the brownstones and victorians of the 19th Century aren't replicated in today's urban environments. In DC, for example, I feel that most new construction lacks character and longevity. But maybe I'm short-changing much of this new development. Do you think that people will look back 100 years from now and say, "Too bad they don't build condos like this anymore!"? Do you think that future generations will be enamored with our public works the way we are enamored with the works our predecessors (Central Park, Grand Central Station, Trocadero, Jardin des Tuileries, Leicester Square)? How will history judge the works we've left behind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
The housing that is still around a century from now will be the housing built to last that long, and much of the current stock of housing simply isn't built to last that long. The difference is that housing wasn't always built to be a disposable consumer product. The move over the past 2 centuries has been in that direction (post-and-beam construction vs. balloon framing being the prime example) especially in the United States, where demographic shifts have made many cities and their places pretty ephemeral.

I see a lot of examples of 19th century housing types being replicated in today's modern cities--the small-lot row house has come back with a vengeance, typically with a ground-floor garage and lots of insulation to deal with technological differences, but with a similarly small footprint.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I'm sure the day will come when preservationists spend wheelbarrow-loads of money to restore the few remaining mcmansions, Taco Bells and re-purposed former Chevron Stations to their 2007 splendor. Maybe you will be able to buy reproduction pressboard, cultured stone, white 110 volt plastic outlets and 1/2" drywall at inflated prices too!

After all, Victorian architecture was considered gaudy, superfluous and tasteless and Craftsman Style dark and dreary at one time too, but all things come in full circle.

If I'm still around I won't be a fan though, just like my grandparents were all about 50's modern, colonial and cape-cod rehashes but could care less for the Craftsman and Victorian styles of their parents and grandparents.

So all I can say to my future grandkids and great-grandkids is good luck! You're gonna need it...

Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The housing that is still around a century from now will be the housing built to last that long, and much of the current stock of housing simply isn't built to last that long.
This, primarily. Much of the late 20th and early 21st century simply... won't be there.

If this seems strange it's more strange to think of thousands of years of pre-European civilization North America that left little trace of itself north of the subtropics.

In my opinion, ugly buildings that are badly made contain their own redemption in their disposability.

Last edited by nei; 12-14-2011 at 10:37 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times
Does anyone have a reliable source on the life expectancy of the floors and walls of contemporary houses? From what I could tell, the main components that would need to be replaced after a couple decades are things like gutters, windows, roof shingles and appliances, which need to be replaced with older houses too.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm sure the day will come when preservationists spend wheelbarrow-loads of money to restore the few remaining mcmansions, Taco Bells and re-purposed former Chevron Stations to their 2007 splendor. Maybe you will be able to buy reproduction pressboard, cultured stone, white 110 volt plastic outlets and 1/2" drywall at inflated prices too!
Yeah. I'm sure our great grandkids will exclaim, "Granite countertops! Oh, the craftsmanship! How did they do it?!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Does anyone have a reliable source on the life expectancy of the floors and walls of contemporary houses? From what I could tell, the main components that would need to be replaced after a couple decades are things like gutters, windows, roof shingles and appliances, which need to be replaced with older houses too.
Here are some articles about that. They talk about the structures in general, though, not specific things like windows, etc.

Edit: strike that last sentence. The articles do discuss the durability of windows, etc.

http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/200...tones_old.html

http://realestate.msn.com/will-your-...-in-50-years#1

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Maga...t_to_Last.aspx

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-14-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
With how computers are advancing causing more people to work at home I wonder if tech parks and high rise office buildings will be a thing of the past?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The housing that is still around a century from now will be the housing built to last that long, and much of the current stock of housing simply isn't built to last that long. The difference is that housing wasn't always built to be a disposable consumer product. The move over the past 2 centuries has been in that direction (post-and-beam construction vs. balloon framing being the prime example) especially in the United States, where demographic shifts have made many cities and their places pretty ephemeral.
This is simply not true. Have you ever heard of a house just wearing out and falling down? It doesn't happen. I have a house built 50 years ago, built pretty much the same way as homes today -- except with poorer insulation, smaller and draftier windows and wood siding where a new home would likely have vinyl.

Quote:
I see a lot of examples of 19th century housing types being replicated in today's modern cities--the small-lot row house has come back with a vengeance, typically with a ground-floor garage and lots of insulation to deal with technological differences, but with a similarly small footprint.
Those never went away, we just started calling them "townhouses".

Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How Will Today's Cities Be Regarded a Century From Now?
They will be labeled historic and a prime example of what I call California Suburban.

[what's left of it in 100 years, anyway]

That's a twist on the term California Bungalow.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
This is simply not true. Have you ever heard of a house just wearing out and falling down? It doesn't happen. I have a house built 50 years ago, built pretty much the same way as homes today -- except with poorer insulation, smaller and draftier windows and wood siding where a new home would likely have vinyl.

Those never went away, we just started calling them "townhouses".
That's not how I'm interpreted his statement. I think that he meant (but I could be wrong) and I agree (again, if that what he meant), that today's houses are not built to last because developers know that today's housing stock will be replaced on purpose within, for example, two (2) mortgage cycles, i.e. the time it takes to pay a 30-year mortgage by two different homeowners (the first and then the person who buys it after them) or 60 years. After that, the house, or the whole subdivision, may be torn down for a new house (or houses) by a future developer to address the market, design, government, and environmental requirements at that time. If you don't agree, look around at all of the constant demolition and reconstruction. There is no permanence in the urban landscape except in isolated pockets.

Developers, knowing this, will not build the house with the best materials and workmanship because it makes no economic sense because the best materials and workmanship are expensive and he'd be doing it for no one but some future historic preservationist or architectural magazine.

Who buys a house thinking it needs to last 100 years? I bought my house in 2004 when I was 31. I may not be around when the house is 50 years old. Do you think I am concerned that it will here in 100 years? No.

Who buys a house that's over 100 years old? People who want the an old house because they appreciate the architecture of yesteryear, historic preservationists, and people who don't mind (or like) a house that incorporates 100-year old technology and amenities. But those individuals are rare.

[just as rare as 100 year old houses and no prizes for guessing correctly why they are rare]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning