Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 PM

26 posts, read 98,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
no, but the thread was influence of mormons on non-mormons, so I assumed.....sorry about that!
the practice of shunning is usually against their own kind, among those few religions that practice it, and while it is not supposed to be part of LDS theology or culture, SOME choose to ignore the christian teachings according to the New Testament...
When we were living in SE Idaho, I read about a young local man who quit his mission, his parents shunned him,and his girl friend dumped him. He killed himself.
There are extremists in nearly all religions...

Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM

602 posts, read 1,865,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill55AZ View Post
the practice of shunning is usually against their own kind, among those few religions that practice it, and while it is not supposed to be part of LDS theology or culture, SOME choose to ignore the christian teachings according to the New Testament...
When we were living in SE Idaho, I read about a young local man who quit his mission, his parents shunned him,and his girl friend dumped him. He killed himself.
I would agree with that, and on the mormon/non-mormon issue there are very broad generalizations from both sides, it just seems that most of the stories we get on here are about how hard of a time utah transplants who are not LDS have a difficult time making friends, and how some of these people feel "looked down on" because they are not LDS so that's what I was trying to discuss, although I'm in need of a nap so I may not be doing a good job of it. I personally, have not had any issues so far. I haven't had any missionaries banging down my door, and my boyfriend hasn't gotten any strange looks when he order's a beer at a restaurant. My co-workers have been friendly and honestly, the majority of the people I've met so far are transplants, although there are some native utahn's in my office. I live in Ogden and work at Hill AFB, so there is some diversity here, and maybe that's why I'm not experiencing what many people the write on here go through. I will note that it is a different kind of friendliness here. Where I'm from, it's no big deal to roll down your window and talk to the guy next to you at the stop light, here, people are more reserved. Of course there's nothing wrong with that at all, but maybe that's why some transplants perceive this to be an unfriendly place, when in fact it's not unfriendly, just different.....

Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 PM

183 posts, read 798,342 times
Quote:
I don't think that when we use the word "shun" in this forum, that we are normally speaking of "disfellowshipping" or "the practice of shunning" in the sense of punishing a member who strays from a group's expected behavior or belief. Generally, in this forum, when shunning is mentioned, we are usually referring to it's traditional definition of "deliberately avoiding" or "staying clear of" someone.

Given the topic of this thread, I'd be willing to bet that most people understood exactly what osugirl2 did. I know I did.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM

26 posts, read 98,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
I would agree with that, and on the mormon/non-mormon issue there are very broad generalizations from both sides, it just seems that most of the stories we get on here are about how hard of a time utah transplants who are not LDS have a difficult time making friends, and how some of these people feel "looked down on" because they are not LDS so that's what I was trying to discuss, although I'm in need of a nap so I may not be doing a good job of it. I personally, have not had any issues so far. I haven't had any missionaries banging down my door, and my boyfriend hasn't gotten any strange looks when he order's a beer at a restaurant. My co-workers have been friendly and honestly, the majority of the people I've met so far are transplants, although there are some native utahn's in my office. I live in Ogden and work at Hill AFB, so there is some diversity here, and maybe that's why I'm not experiencing what many people the write on here go through. I will note that it is a different kind of friendliness here. Where I'm from, it's no big deal to roll down your window and talk to the guy next to you at the stop light, here, people are more reserved. Of course there's nothing wrong with that at all, but maybe that's why some transplants perceive this to be an unfriendly place, when in fact it's not unfriendly, just different.....
Very old mormon joke, when you go fishing and invite a mormon, you must invite at least 2...if you invite only one, he drinks all your beer....

as for transplants, if you come to Utah expecting to be treated badly, and start off being overly defensive, then you invite being treated badly....

In the navy, I started out at one duty station wondering why some of my shipmates were avoiding me. Turns out, a previous LDS sailor was overly critical of drinking, smoking, etc. and paved the way for a lot of bad feelings. Once they saw that I wasn't going to criticize them, all was well and we got along....
Preconceived notions are usually incorrect. It is best to just be nice to the natives and let them be nice to you...

Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,783,110 times
Quote:
It is best to just be nice to the natives and let them be nice to you...
Please note the sequence how the sentence is structured !!!

1 - be nice to the natives

2 - let them be nice to you

Kudos to the poster !!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,682 times
the good news is you're married. I'm not religious myself, so I have to worry about parents asking if I'm Mormon. There's a strong belief to get married in a mormon church and since I'm not mormon I'm not "worthy." Pathetic..I know, but people here are great and friendly

sounds backwards doesn't it...they get along well with non-religious people, yet when it comes to church they aren't worthy O.o

if your kids turn out to be homosexual then prepare for arguments. Mormons think homosexuality is a disease LOL. The downfall of small towns is how sheltered they are from reality.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,762 times
I never had any questions about religion until I moved "from" Utah! Once outside the state,I could never,not once, mention I grew up in the state without questions like "How many wives did yer dad have?" Urgh... I just quit saying I was from Utah.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,130 times
I have never heard of asking someone for local Provo I.d. in Provo. I have never heard of such a thing. I live in Provo but I am from California and I am LDS and I live here now because I am trying to get a better life. Also, it is a lot easier for an LDS person to live in Utah or Idaho where our ancestors settled than anywhere else in the US. If you are worried about being discriminated against, that's what I experience all the time in California or anywhere else in the US everyday. You would only be getting a small taste of what I have experienced my whole life. But Mormons would probably treat you better than that because we know how it feels. Also, Utah used to be Mexico which is why our ancestors moved here to get away from religious persecution.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 PM

13 posts, read 37,945 times
I'm from a different state and not mormon. I have to say they don't push their religous views on you, but if you are not mormon believe me you won't be their best friend. They will be very nice and pleasant to you, but you won't be part of the "in crowd". I will have to say it's one of the nicest states I have ever lived/visited. The states is extremely moral and clean. Not like other cities where there is a strip club and dirty book shop on every corner. It's certainly nice enough, but find it very hard to make close friends with ones who are mormons.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 PM

27,880 posts, read 29,679,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryscottpt View Post
I'm from a different state and not mormon. I have to say they don't push their religous views on you, but if you are not mormon believe me you won't be their best friend. They will be very nice and pleasant to you, but you won't be part of the "in crowd". I will have to say it's one of the nicest states I have ever lived/visited. The states is extremely moral and clean. Not like other cities where there is a strip club and dirty book shop on every corner. It's certainly nice enough, but find it very hard to make close friends with ones who are mormons.
I'm a Mormon and my best friend is not. I guess nobody ever told me the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah