Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 12:44 AM

313 posts, read 778,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
But 41 in the metro area for 2009:

Utah Department of Public Safety
Ok, so about 4 per 100,000. That includes family Murder-Suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post

May be less harsh .. ?
We could say *misquoted* ?
It seemed intentional to me. The whole thing read like propaganda.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times
Hubby does have a concealed weapons permit. Mostly for when he is hunting or camping w/ or w/o the kiddos. Never w/ me, yet. lol Freak, I've just sneezed 10 times in a row while typing. I think allergies. I feel like a hypocondriac. lol (sp?)

Old 10-15-2011, 03:56 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I can't think of any areas in SLC, of all places, where I'd ever feel I needed to carry a gun. The notion that gang activity may endanger my life and I'd need to rely on a gun to protect myself is absolutely 100% ridiculous.
i grew up in downtown slc in the 80s and 90s––when it was notably quieter and calmer than it is today––and we very often had drug and gang-related problems that threatened our family.

we had so many problems with transients, burglaries, drug busts and gang fights that there is no way i could even remember half of them.

but there are some notables, such as: a teenager getting stabbed on the street in front of our house and crawling up the steps of my neighbor's house and passing out in a pool of his own blood; he was rushed away to the hospital and we never found out if he survived.

we had one of the vietnamese gangs of the era vandalize our house a few times and leave death threats to my mom for her cooperation with the police.

we had our vehicles broken into on multiple occasions (two of them happened within a one-week period once); we started leaving the doors unlocked and the windows cracked so that they would stop breaking the windows out, but they seemed to enjoy the broken glass...

we were the only house within 3 or 4 on either side of us that never had burglary or robbery problems (we had a big dog that people thought was mean, even though it was a golden retriever; and my dad did have guns); across the street, most of the houses had also been broken in to.

violence in the schools was a huge issue; even in elementary school, some of the little bullies were backed by older brothers, uncles, etc that were known gang members; that meant that if you (as a 5 through 11-year old) stood up to the bullies, you'd then be targeted by high school-aged boys and grown men.

gang fights were so common that i used to see them in broad daylight on the busiest roads in downtown slc (3rd west was the most common area that i used to see them); hell, i've seen hoodlums attacking cars stopped at red lights with fire pokers.

yadda, yadda. etc, etc.

the point in my mind is that salt lake's gang activity is very real and therefore very dangerous. you can argue that point as much as you want, but whether or not you have been victimized by gang violence, others have.

there are a multitude of things that one can do to mitigate that danger (one of the best is to move away), and having a personal firearm is a legitimate member of those defenses. not everyone will agree with having a gun, but that is all right. not everyone will agree with having a big dog or a security system either. that doesn't mean that others are stupid, paranoid, or delusional if they choose to get the dog, the security system, or the handgun.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:24 PM

I wonder why I can walk around at night and see none of this?

Any ways for several reasons crime is much lower than when it peaked in the early 1990s. I question the honesty of chicken littles.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:51 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
I wonder why I can walk around at night and see none of this?

Any ways for several reasons crime is much lower than when it peaked in the early 1990s. I question the honesty of chicken littles.

I wonder why I haven't needed to see a doctor in my adult life? I wonder why I've never seen the inside of a hospital as an adult? I wonder why I've NEVER filed an insurance claim in my life on anything? I wonder why I haven't had a tire blowout on the freeway in my entire driving life? I wonder why I haven't been hit by a meteor?

Answer: I'M LUCKY.

The fact that I've never had a blown tire doesn't mean I don't bother carrying a spare.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
The only thing that strikes me as bit ironic about the whole concealed weapon thing is that a big part of the reason I live in Utah is because I have never felt threatened by violence. The day I feel like I have to carry a concealed weapon around with is the day I'll start looking for a new place to live.

I don't condemn or criticize those who carry a concealed weapon. I do feel sorry they are in that situation.

Finally, if I did have to carry a weapon, I'd want to carry in the open--on my belt--where everyone could see it. Seems to me that would be more likely to keep the bad guys away than hiding it would.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I got a gun and CCW after seeing the looting after Hurricane Katrina. If we ever get "the big one" we will have the same problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Maybe we fell safe here because criminals know a lot of people carry guns.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Maybe we fell safe here because criminals know a lot of people carry guns.
Very good point. Even though I've had my home robbed twice since living here (I must have a sign that says, 'hit me' or something) , I still feel safe. NO ONE else anywhere in my hood I've talked to has had any problems, at all. I do feel safe downtown.

I live in a very quiet area in way out west West Jordan (most don't even know it exists lol) . Sightings here are either dead silence (like now, at night) or a gaggle of kids playing, & lots of SAHM's for me to gab w/.

I'll always love it here. =) A friend of mine at a playdate I hosted on Tuesday said how great it was here, & how she envied all the kids around. She said her 7yo girl played w/ a 13yo girl, as, that is all there is in her hood. I can't even imagine that. I love having all the kids & Moms around. =) Maybe when I'm older I won't, but, for now, yes. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: