Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 AM

16 posts, read 33,291 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the Provo area within the next year. I'm attending a school that is in the south part of town. I'd like to live in an area with the most convenient access to outdoor recreation. Ideally, I hope to find an area with friendly people, reasonable rent, natural beauty and close proximity to outdoor recreation. Being in close proximity to the school is not a necessity; however, it would be convenient. I am willing to commute a half hour or so if it means being closer to the mountains I am particularly interested in having convenient access to rock climbing and fly fishing. What area do you recommend I look into?

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM

25,448 posts, read 18,577,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSkies View Post
I'll be moving to the Provo area within the next year. I'm attending a school that is in the south part of town. I'd like to live in an area with the most convenient access to outdoor recreation. Ideally, I hope to find an area with friendly people, reasonable rent, natural beauty and close proximity to outdoor recreation. Being in close proximity to the school is not a necessity; however, it would be convenient. I am willing to commute a half hour or so if it means being closer to the mountains I am particularly interested in having convenient access to rock climbing and fly fishing. What area do you recommend I look into?

Thank You!
Truthfully, anywhere in Utah Valley will work for you. The mountains are the backdrop to every city/town along the Wasatch Front. You have a choice of Alpine, Lehi, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Lindon, Orem, Provo, Springville, Spanish Fork, Salem, and Payson. All are within half an hour of Provo and all are butted up against the mountains.

For the convenience of a paved walking/bike trail that runs from town right up into a canyon, you might want to check Provo out (Provo River Trail) and Springville (Hobble Creek Trail). I jog on the Hobble Creek trail pretty much every day. It's nice--goes along the small river, passes a golf course and has plenty of trees/scrub oak that are native to the area. I like it in fall/winter/spring better than in summer (I was jogging in 95 degree temps today ). I'm not a hot-weather person. Also, there are rattlesnakes during the summer--I met one of those face-to-face last week. There is good hiking pretty much all over the area. For rock climbing, Rock Canyon in Provo is a favorite. There is more variety in the SLC area though and some pretty good granite climbs in Little Cottonwood Canyon (SLC valley).

As for rent, I suppose it's all relative. But any time you are moving into a huge population center, rent will generally be too high unless you're moving to a slum or something. In my opinion, rent is ridiculous and property prices are a pathetic joke. But that's just me. Other expenses aren't bad, such as food, power, etc.

Anyway, if you like outdoor stuff, pick any town listed above. The downside is that all the towns pretty much form one big city that covers the entire valley now. Pity. But the mountains haven't been swallowed up by people yet...

Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,445,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Also, there are rattlesnakes during the summer--I met one of those face-to-face last week.
and i go looking for them and hardly ever see them. life's unfair!

i second this whole post. the wasatch front has access to some awesome outdoor recreation within minutes, even if you don't have access to a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah