Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM

21 posts, read 48,664 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering a move to the SLC or Prove area. Now, I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with people practicing their chosen faith. To each his own.
With that said I DO NOT want any Missionaries knocking on my door or anyone trying to lead me to their way of thinking as I go about my business at work and other places. Knowing that this part of the country is heavily populated with those of the Mormon faith, and knowing that their purpose is to recruit, recruit, recruit, can I live in this area without being bothered by them?
Now remember, as I said in the beginning of this post, I don't care what faith anyone is. Just don't want anyone pressing me to join them.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOrioles View Post
Seriously considering a move to the SLC or Prove area. Now, I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with people practicing their chosen faith. To each his own.
With that said I DO NOT want any Missionaries knocking on my door or anyone trying to lead me to their way of thinking as I go about my business at work and other places. Knowing that this part of the country is heavily populated with those of the Mormon faith, and knowing that their purpose is to recruit, recruit, recruit, can I live in this area without being bothered by them?
Now remember, as I said in the beginning of this post, I don't care what faith anyone is. Just don't want anyone pressing me to join them.
Your odds are higher in every other state for having missionaries knock on your door.

That being said, if you have a wife and kids you may have a couple moms from the neighborhood stop by with a list of babysitters and an invite to their women’s group meetings. We have been invited to Christmas events and we even went to one, we felt no pressure at all and they are more interested in letting you get a feel for what they are about. That is the extent of the “recruitment” we have seen, if you can handle that you will be fine.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,570 times
Yes they will drive you crazy.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
I think so, since you have a preconception that they will. Much of the city/state politics is driven by the majority of the residents in any state - this state happens to be LDS. Provo is heavily LDS.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:13 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,491 times
That's really your decision, if you're going to let a few people knocking on your door once in a blue moon drive you crazy, then by all means, avoid this place like the plague. That is, unless you don't mind respectfully telling those who you perceive as "bothering" you that you are not interested and that you want to be left alone (something that 90% of Americans don't seem to be able to understand). But with all do respect, people occasionally trying to share their religion with you is not that big of a deal, as you are making it out to be. I assure you mormons have plenty of other things to worry about besides your personal religious beliefs, their "purpose" is not to "recruit, recruit, recruit." But if you want to let the small chance that someone might inconvenience you by knocking on your door determine your life, well, that's your loss.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 PM

224 posts, read 639,978 times
Well, I'm glad everyone else seems to have had the same reaction I did which was YES, we will drive you crazy, we will be at your door before you have even moved in to invite you to church and tell you about our beliefs. We never leave you alone to ponder lifes deep meaning without sharing our own. Before we are done you will be brainwashed and screaming insanely "I know it's true, I know it's true".

:-)

I hope you have great neighbors who will help to dispel the myth of ignorance that seems to surround Utah like a cloud.

And P.S. We really had a great time at Camden Yards last year, GREAT fans!

Last edited by InSandy; 08-09-2010 at 11:54 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 AM

119 posts, read 585,610 times
I've lived in Utah going on 4 years now and never had a missionary knock on my door, or anyone invite me to church with them. I do live in a less Mormon area though.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are the ones who come to my door all the time!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2penguins View Post
I've lived in Utah going on 4 years now and never had a missionary knock on my door, or anyone invite me to church with them. I do live in a less Mormon area though.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are the ones who come to my door all the time!
The same here, and I live in a VERY mormony area.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:14 PM

25,710 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Jeez folks... have any of you thought of asking them to not come back when they come to you door.

Here's a script for you, if you need it: "Hello... oh no thank you, I'm not interested. I'd appreciate it if you'd tell you superiors to not send any more missionaries to my door... Okay, thanks, and you have a nice day as well. Good luck with your cause."

Easy. Works like a charm. Do you let Avon salespeople haunt your every waking moment as well? Get a grip. "No, thanks" works real well 99.9% of the time. Don't be such marshmallows.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Jeez folks... have any of you thought of asking them to not come back when they come to you door.

Here's a script for you, if you need it: "Hello... oh no thank you, I'm not interested. I'd appreciate it if you'd tell you superiors to not send any more missionaries to my door... Okay, thanks, and you have a nice day as well. Good luck with your cause."

Easy. Works like a charm. Do you let Avon salespeople haunt your every waking moment as well? Get a grip. "No, thanks" works real well 99.9% of the time. Don't be such marshmallows.

People like to be protected from all of life’s inconveniences, hence why we have the phrase "there ought to be a law".

A polite "no thank you" does do wonders.

I think the FLDS being in the news did a lot to make people think that LDS are some wacky, compound living, all consumed religious extremists. Once you are here you realize they are people who are just living their lives like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: