Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,963 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving back to Kansas from San Francisco and have a few questions about which route to take. First I could take I80 to I15 South to I70. Would it be better to exit at Provo at take Hwy 6 to I70? Is Hwy 6 a four lane? Is it low traffic so I would save time or would it be about the same time since I'll be going through a few towns. Also, which route would u say is more scenic? Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 PM

121 posts, read 347,722 times
Highway 6 is NOT a four lane. Except the big hill just before the turn-off to Manti. It's definitely more scenic, and quite a bit shorter, but also slower. Lower traffic, but if you get stuck behind one slow vehicle it could be frustrating.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I would not take it in the dark, if that's the time you will be there. Lots of fatal accidents on the 2-lane stretches.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
They've been upgrading Highway 6 lately. There are pockets of construction going on--most notably at an area that used to be a rest stop called "Tucker" and near the mouth of Spanish Fork canyon. There are many more passing lanes than there used to be. Highway 6 is a pretty drive, especially as you get closer to the Price side of the drive. However... Highway 6 has traditionally been one of the most dangerous drives in Utah. It's a bit better, as they've widened the road in many areas, but folks tend to get in way, WAY too big of a hurry--pity, since it is quite pretty and no one seems to want to take the time to see the sights. I just made that drive twice last week (to the Price/Wellington area from Utah Valley), and it wasn't bad. Just be patient and you'll be fine. As was suggested above, take it during the day--you won't see much at night anyway... except perhaps a deer in your headlights!

Hwy 6 to I-70 is definitely more scenic than I-15 south to I-70. Although, I would suggest at Price, you go down SR 10 to I-70 (if you have time). That way you will catch the very pretty drive over San Rafael Swell (on I-70). I love this area. It's high desert/steppe with some great scenery and geological formation that you won't see elsewhere (especially the San Rafael Reef).

Last edited by ChrisC; 08-20-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM

99 posts, read 250,509 times
The most scenic rout would be to go I-80 and then in Salt Lake go south on I-15. Then take Hwy 6 in Spanish Fork (not Provo). You'll drive through some mountains, then down through a desert. Then you'll come to I-70 near Green River Utah. I-70 in that area will be mostly desert until you get to Grand Junction, Co. Then the Colorado Rockies start. I-70 east bound through the Rockies will be mostly up hill (in some cases a little steep). It's beautiful, though.

Hwy 6 in Utah is a two lane hwy that goes through a couple of towns. You may get stuck behind some slow people, etc. So, if you wanted to avoid Hwy 6 you could take I-15 south to I-70, like you said.

However, the quickest way from San Francisco to Kansas is take I-80 all the way to Cheyenne, Wyoming. Then south on I-25 to Denver, then East on I-70 in to Kansas. I have driven that way lots of times going from Salt Lake to Kansas City to visit my sister, and it's the fastest. I also verified that with Mapquest and Googlemaps; less mileage and it's freeway speeds all the way. It's more flat too.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,963 times
Thanks for the responses, everyone. They are much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah