Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:36 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strength&Justice View Post
CA feels really over populated. Most of the women I see in my area are driving a mini van with like 5 children. I have read UT has the highest amount of....how do I say it properly?....re-populating? So the one thing I worry about is if UT will feel crowded like CA. I work in the Paralegal field and I work a lot and I enjoy sleeping in on days off. I have this (maybe way off base) picture in my head of being woken up to tons of sreaming kids playing in the snow outside my bedroom window on a Saturday morning. Thats not based on anything real. Just since I read that UT has more children then any other state in the nation I have kind of pictured it being really packed and full of noise. When I visited I didnt find that to be the case but I was only there a few days. Im planning another trip but I cant take too much time away from work and there is never enough time to learn everything and see I everything I want to. I really like Layton. I was interested in Provo but so many people told me I wouldnt fit in because Im not mormon. Im still conservative so its not like I would be going into a strictly mormon area and throwing a gay parade or anything like that. Is layton accepting of non mormon conservative people? Will not being mormon really have an effect on finding work?? I wouldnt think it would be legal to exclude a person based on religion. Im not trying to open a can of worms on this subject. I personally get along with just about anyone. Im just wondering what the real story is. Thanks!
California feels crowded because it is! In just OC alone there are more than 3 million people and that is in an area of 789 square miles or 3,607 people per square mile. OC has more people per square mile than LA County.

Salt Lake County has a little over a million people in 737 square miles or 1,200 people per mile.

Davis County has 300,000 over 300 miles or 786 people per mile.

Utah County has 545,000 people over 1,998 sq miles or 184 people per mile.

Add it all up and that is 1.8 million people in 3000 square miles.

As far as the kids, ya there are more kids than adults (I think) but it is not as crazy as it sounds. This is why I suggest renting at first though.

I live in an area that shares a lawn, we have 8 homes in a U shape around a big lawn area. There are 17 kids in these 8 homes (will be 20 soon once the new family moves in next week.) It is wild outside but not early, I notice most kids don't come out until after 10 or so, we are all still in our house right now and I have my window open yet I hear no kids.

I know you are interested in Davis County but check out www.daybreakutah.com in South Jordan, it is similar to what Rancho Santa Margarita was 25 years ago. But in my opinion much more diverse and unique, with a great long term plan.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:39 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You have no idea! Of course, it varies by city and neighborhood, but I'm generally awakened on the weekends by the neighbor kids (two little girls with mouths the size of the grand canyon on one side, and a couple of kids and a dog with an over-active barking mechanism on the other) or the big tub-o-crap, battleship, seats 25, diesel pickup trucks roaring past at 105 decibels (with one imbecile sitting at the helm, of course). It is generally peaceful at about 2 am, though.

Take me home, country roads........ (John Denver, anyone?)

Oh, BTW, the "real story" is that the mormon thing is overblown if you tend to get along with everyone, don't care how others handle their religion, and don't expect everyone to embrace and celebrate every aspect of your life and philosophies. That's the way I am and I've never had a problem with it--not once in 35 years. Sounds like you are similar. You should be fine.
You need your own reality show! You live in one unique hood! :-)

Old 09-04-2010, 04:31 PM

11 posts, read 55,262 times
Yes. I dont push my views on anyone religion wise and I am not bothered by anyone else's religion. If someone wanted to talk religion I would be open to it but honestly I care about all people regardless and am friendly towards most all people (unless they are just flat out rude people). As long as I am not excluded from jobs because Im not part of the Mormon faith thats all I care about. I dont mind being the minority of the area, religion wise. I think Mormons are lovely people, at least here in CA they are.

South Jordan. The reason I didnt consider it was for two reasons. I looked at the area online and homes and apartments when I started my search. But I would South Jordan (maybe because its pretty new) to be too expensive. Im sure its worth it. It seems new and fresh and upgraded but I would like to spend about $800 for rent if possible. I did look at daybreak a while ago. I think maybe they were just starting to build it? But the prices where closer to $1000/month. Am I wrong?? Maybe its more affordable? $1000 isnt bad for such a nice area. I just want to spend the least amount of money when first moving there. The second reason I passed on the area was because it seems closer to SLC then Layton or Riverdale or maybe Eden. Being close to SLC and West Valley I would think is good for job options and transportation options. But the downside is it seems being closer to the city is you lose that small town/nature/outdoor mountain and river beauty. Correct me if I am wrong. I would think you would have maybe a man made lake like RSM but you would be giving up the more natural outdoor beauty? I havent spent time in South Jordan so if I am way off please correct me. Although I RSM is safe and well kept it still feels very city and not outdoor beauty to me. I want to be within 20 minutes to jobs but be able to go in my backyard and see break taking views of mountains and trees and maybe a stream. I have always longed to have that. Nature calms my high stress life. When I visit Big Bear and foxes or other little animals come right in the backyard in the snow I just love it. Sometimes you even see a deer.

Another thing is I just hate the heat. I prefer colder weather. Not 0 degree freezing but like 20 degrees is a nice winter temp. I read that Layton has nice 70 to 80 degree summers with only a few days in the 90's. Is this true?? I want to avoid extremes like 0 degree winter and 100 degree summer. A few different websites talked about layton's good summer and winter temp. Is this true for the most part? Is the SLC/South Jordan area hotter?

Does anyone know anything about Eden? Is it just more of a vacation spot? I noticed a lot of fun things to do there. Or do people actually live there and find jobs there? Just curious.....

Thank you for the advice everyone....its very helpful

Old 09-04-2010, 06:50 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Another thing is I just hate the heat. I prefer colder weather. Not 0 degree freezing but like 20 degrees is a nice winter temp. I read that Layton has nice 70 to 80 degree summers with only a few days in the 90's. Is this true?? I want to avoid extremes like 0 degree winter and 100 degree summer. A few different websites talked about layton's good summer and winter temp. Is this true for the most part?
Nope. Okay, I will say that it sort of depends on you. If you tolerate heat well... even 100+ temps are going to seem okay to you. I'm not sure why it is, but many people try to downplay the summer heat in the Utah valleys. I find it annoyingly hot and I spend most of the summer wet with sweat any time I'm outside.

Here are the stats for Layton's average high temps:

Jan 38.7
Feb 44.4
Mar 53.1
Apr 62.3
May 74.1
Jun 84.2
Jul 95.6
Aug 93.3
Sep 81.9
Oct 68.1
Nov 50.9
Dec 39.2

As you can see, it's over 90 for two months straight on average (although it's supposed to be official, I'm not sure I trust that July average stat. Seems a bit high to me. I'd say closer to 92 or 93). You'll get an average of around 62 days above 90 degrees for the year and a sometimes a handful over 100.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I really hate hot weather... yet I've tolerated many sweltering summers here. So, it's survivable for even cooler-weather folks. But don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't get hot in the summer here (unless they live in the high Uintah mountains or something). Honestly, some folks could go to Death Valley and live, and tell you that it really doesn't get hot. That doesn't mean that YOU won't be burning up. Personally, I could say that winters never feel cold to me in Utah. Well they don't for me, but some folks start going into hypothermia if it gets under about 50. It really all depends on your body type. If you are a cold weather person, you'll probably find the winters nice at times on the colder days like I do (once in a blue moon it will stay in the teens or twenties for a high during the day--perfect for me), and you'll find an occasional day in the summer that seems nice... when it's about 20 degrees below average (which can happen at times--it did a couple of weeks ago... heaven!).

Last edited by ChrisC; 09-04-2010 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 04:33 PM

11 posts, read 55,262 times
Hmmmm I wonder why relocation websites would give the wrong information. ?? Here is what a certain relocation website says about layton and eden, word for word: "The weather gives wonderful opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. The spring and summer temperature's stay in the 70's - 80's although sometimes they will reach the low 90's in August, and the mercury stays in the mid to high 30's during the winter months. This makes for wonderful recreation. Golf, mountain biking, hiking and camping are wonderful recreational activities that can be enjoyed for a good part of the year. If skiing is your choice of sport, both Powder Mountain and Snow Basin are wonderful ski areas located nearby."

Maybe I am just misunderstanding but it sounds like it only reaches the low 90's one month out of the year? Here in CA in summer we get days that are 90 to 95. But its not every day of summer and it generally doesnt get above 95. Even being 95 we still get a beach breeze coming from the distance. But to me its miserible. I hate the hot weather. Anything over 90 degrees feels like 100 to me. And if other parts of CA it gets up to 107 in the summer. I believe UT humidity is lower than CA though? So that should make it feel cooler?? To me the perfect weather is 30 to 60 degrees. At 73 degrees I start feeling like I would like to turn the air on. I know thats sad but Ive just always run hot. I'm looking forward to UT snow because I enjoy colder weather (just not driving in it). The closer I get to Logan would it be colder in the summer months? Or no? I read that it says cooler near mountains. Is that true?

Sorry to be so into the weather but I just want the information I have to be correct. Thanks again!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm I wonder why relocation websites would give the wrong information. ?? Here is what a certain relocation website says about layton and eden, word for word: "The weather gives wonderful opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. The spring and summer temperature's stay in the 70's - 80's although sometimes they will reach the low 90's in August, and the mercury stays in the mid to high 30's during the winter months. This makes for wonderful recreation. Golf, mountain biking, hiking and camping are wonderful recreational activities that can be enjoyed for a good part of the year. If skiing is your choice of sport, both Powder Mountain and Snow Basin are wonderful ski areas located nearby."

Maybe I am just misunderstanding but it sounds like it only reaches the low 90's one month out of the year? Here in CA in summer we get days that are 90 to 95. But its not every day of summer and it generally doesnt get above 95. Even being 95 we still get a beach breeze coming from the distance. But to me its miserible. I hate the hot weather. Anything over 90 degrees feels like 100 to me. And if other parts of CA it gets up to 107 in the summer. I believe UT humidity is lower than CA though? So that should make it feel cooler?? To me the perfect weather is 30 to 60 degrees. At 73 degrees I start feeling like I would like to turn the air on. I know thats sad but Ive just always run hot. I'm looking forward to UT snow because I enjoy colder weather (just not driving in it). The closer I get to Logan would it be colder in the summer months? Or no? I read that it says cooler near mountains. Is that true?

Sorry to be so into the weather but I just want the information I have to be correct. Thanks again!
I'm really into climate and weather as well. Relocation websites tend to try and paint a rosy picture. Personally, I only trust official weather stats from official weather reporting stations (these are generally monitored by a government agency). I think the statistic that will answer your question about summer heat and the time frame would be number of days per year over 90 degrees. This statistic doesn't really tell you when it happens, only that it does. This hot weather can start as early as May and go to as late as October, but generally speaking, we're talking mid June through August.

Here are the official average number of days above 90 for several cities along the Wasatch Front valleys:

Spanish Fork: 62.0 days per year above 90. (record high temp: 106)
Provo: 56.7 days per year above 90. (record high temp: 107)
SLC: 55.0 days per year above 90. (record high temp: 107)
Ogden: 53.6 days per year above 90. (record high temp: 104)
Brigham City: 53.0 days per year above 90. (record high temp: 108)

Now, having looked at that, be aware that once in a while you may have a summer high temp in the low 80's. But it isn't really all that common. Low 90's are typical, 100's once in a while, 70's and 80's occasionally. Usually, it's above 90 for weeks and weeks on end.

Also, your question about humidity: yes, it will make a difference (called a "comfort index") of a couple of degrees perception by your body. But a 100 degree day is not going to feel like 70 degrees because of the low humidity. It's going to feel more like 98, perhaps. And that's still hot. Hot is hot.

Another thing I should mention: it's relatively easy to get relief from the heat. If you go up 2000 or 3000 feet into the mountains, it's quite a bit cooler and there is generally a nice breeze in the afternoons up there. It's only a few miles away from virtually every city along the Wasatch Front. That does make it kind of nice if you like going for drives or hiking. Of course, that begs the question... why aren't the cities up there where it's nice??? Those silly pioneers liked to bake. Oh well.

Actually, there are towns in the high country, but they tend to be either resorts or ghost towns... Although there is a little hamlet called Hanna. It's climate is just about perfect at around 6700 ft, it's in a very picturesque rural/mountainous setting, it's out of the rat race, the air is cool and crisp even on a summer's eve... too bad there are no jobs to be found there.

Oh, and your question about Logan: yes, summers are a couple of degrees cooler on average. There are an average of 26 days above 90, the highest summer average temp (July) is 86, the all-time record high is 102. I actually lived there for a time. Winters are nicer than in the lower valleys as well--it's colder and it has quite a bit more snow. It's also a bit greener up there compared to the brown valleys in SLC and Provo. Logan is a pretty area, even if a bit overpopulated.

Last edited by ChrisC; 09-05-2010 at 05:27 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
If you really hate the heat that much, you need to consider whether you're going to be able to handle 55 days a year over 90 degrees. Maybe ChrisC could post something that would give you some kind of an idea of how many days a year you'd find to be within your perfect weather range. As someone who absolutely loves the heat, and starts counting the days till summer starting in about mid-October, it seems to me that we have a TON of days that would be between 30 and 60 degrees. If you can deal with maybe four months of weather that would be too hot for you, you'd at least have close to eight that you'd love.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:51 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
I am ALREADY counting the days until next summer, Katz. Good grief, it was over way too fast.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As someone who absolutely loves the heat, and starts counting the days till summer starting in about mid-October
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I am ALREADY counting the days until next summer, Katz. Good grief, it was over way too fast.

Sweet revenge!

As the light softens and a chill fills the air, nary a heatmonger eye remains dry.
The last gasp of summer's inferno fades into the deep purple twilight; my time quickly approaches.
I but smile as tortured trails of tears flow down each of the summerfolk's chilled cheeks...

Could I offer you a jacket?

Last edited by ChrisC; 09-05-2010 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: needed a higher sappiness factor...

Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
I would chime in as a guy who now lives in Oregon and who once lived a few places in Colorado and California. Believe it or not, most of California is less humid than Colorado in summer. Everywhere from, say, Arizona east gets at least a bit of the monsoon moisture in July and August, which elevates the dewpoints and make is seem a bit more sticky. Colorado was typically in the 80s in summer, but noticeably more humid than California or Oregon. Utah does not seem very bad, but if you really hate heat, I think it might even be worse than comparable areas of the West Coast.

One other thing is the sunshine intensity. I have noticed that higher in mountains it can feel damn hot in the daytime, not because of the air temperature, which is usually moderate, but because of the intensity of the high elevation sun, especially in clear dry air. I was in Pittsburgh last month, and although it was incredibly humid, I was able to go jogging in the late afternoon, because I did not feel the sun baking down on me with all the mist and clouds. I sweat like a pig, but I was not overwhelmed. So, the Intermountain and Coastal heat might feel different based on altitude, clarity of the air,etc.

Since this is a Utah vs. Colorado thread, I will say I do miss ROCKY MOUNTAIN THUNDERSTORMS! Nowhere on the West Coast gets near enough of them. In Colorado they were epic, though actually so common I had hard time completing my fieldwork in the high mountains. Nearly everyday in midsummer. I am guessing Utah gets plenty of storms, but not an overwhelming amount. True? I do recall that along the Front Range of Colorado, thunderstorms would build up each afternoon in the western sky, and it really helped block out the infernal summer sun. Here in Oregon, we get too damn many clouds in winter, when we want to see the sun, then the sun turns relentless from July to September, when we could use a bit less of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah