Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:45 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,054 times

Advertisements

I've lived in rural Utah for over a year now after moving from SoCal. I would agree with most posts about any overt racism. I also agree with the previous post about wages, lack of enforcable work rules and the server wage being $2.15/hr. I couldn't believe it either when I heard it. BUT, to tell you the truth I have felt at times an underlying sense of not being a true community member due to my unaffiliation with the Mormon church. Regardless of race. It isn't overwhelming but it seems that, like all religions, some members interpert their beliefs in ways that are exclusionary to non-believers . Socially that might or not be any concern. But if these folks also happen to be major employers overall and or predominate in local governmental services the potential is always there for some degree of prejuduce.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:18 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,054 times
I remissed on one issue that was mentioned in other posts. We DO live in the "Boonies" with alfalfa fields and an amazing array of wildlife. And I've got to say that the folks and families out here are far and away the most unassuming, helpful and sincerely friendly people you would ever what to know. Regardless of any race or affiliation. And these are the true Utahan's who have been there for many generations.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,816 times
Cool racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrprinze View Post
What is Utah really like? I'm moving to Utah from California. Are the people really racist? I'm an African-American of light skin complexion. I've been to Utah before and rarely see Black people. However, I have seen more and more Latinos in SLC County and Utah County.....HELP!
I'm grew up in Utah, in WEBER COUNTY. The LDS were racist religion, because of a few mis-interpreted passages in their book of mormon. It was discovered the supposed mark was a mark on the soul an God caused their children to have the same mark, ( now supposed to be bad luck)What I've noticed is most people have turned away from that idea. In my high school it was about 65% caucasian 35% latino and 5% other. In my high school being African & American or Asian was the best race everybody wanted to be their friend they were pushed to be involved in sports, student body & AP courses. There's some people who don't like African American marrying caucasians, but that's everywhere I think. I'm in the navy and I have a barracks room, I work, and sleep near an African American she told me it was ok to have a white friend, but she was never going to be in a relationship with one. There seems to be a Filipino favortism on our ship and in my workspace. When our small ship goes out to sea, you might be stuck with someone you hate, but there's nowhere to hide for long on the ship. You just have to deal with it out here. In Japan the Japanese are racist against Koreans and Chinese. So I don't think you should have many issues in Utah, I love Utah, people are usually friendly.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 25,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Casselli's View Post
SLC is the best. I am from California. Moved to St. George 3 years ago. Big mistake! Wages are low and high cost of living anywhere in UTAH! However, as to your question, if I were you, I would move to SLC. Now as far as something more important then religion and race. Before you make the move to Utah...Did you know that there is NO state disability in Utah? Also, most employers do not provide the full package of medical benefits and it is a right to work state. Which means, the employer can terminate you without cause at anytime and no 15 min breaks or lunches. They do not have to provide vacation, sick time, medical insurance and one more thing..waiters get paid 2.15 per hour!!!! YES, IN DEED! Administration jobs start at 9.00 per hour and teachers 12.00 per hour. I would reseach the job market in SLC, I understand it just a bit higher wage but not by much. Do your homework first. Utah is a Mormon state and they decide what your worth....cheap salary.

Ok that is really annoying. Yeah it sounds bad, but you are bad for claiming mormons are to blame. If you aren't mormon, isn't it partly your fault also? The whole population isn't Mormon so don't claim that it is their fault.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:19 PM

12 posts, read 36,727 times
Utah is such a diverse state, you will be fine-welcome and enjoy our wonderful state!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 AM

34 posts, read 157,539 times
Diverse????? In what way is Utah diverse?? According to the US Census Bureau, 94% of Utah is white (compared to 80% in the US); 1% is black (compared to 13% in the US); 2% is Asian (compared to 4.5% in the US)... furthermore, according to the Trib, 62.5% of the state is LDS (although this number is less than in the past) making Utah by far the most religiously homogenous state in the country. People may disagree with me about the extent of racism present (I have had to deal with quite a bit of it personally), but there's no way you can say that there is diversity here!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faststeel View Post
Diverse????? In what way is Utah diverse?? According to the US Census Bureau, 94% of Utah is white (compared to 80% in the US); 1% is black (compared to 13% in the US); 2% is Asian (compared to 4.5% in the US)... furthermore, according to the Trib, 62.5% of the state is LDS (although this number is less than in the past) making Utah by far the most religiously homogenous state in the country. People may disagree with me about the extent of racism present (I have had to deal with quite a bit of it personally), but there's no way you can say that there is diversity here!
I can say I have seen only about 10 kids in my sons whole school that is a different ethnic group. One of them is an obvious adoption because his parents are white and all his bros and sis are as well.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faststeel View Post
Please post the census bureau statistics. My reading shows differently -- 83% white.

Utah's minority ratio lags | Deseret News (Salt Lake City) | Find Articles at BNET

Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,077 times
In the Clearfield area in Northern Utah I think it's very diverse. I attended Back to School night for my grandaughter and my daughter and I were definitely in the minority. Most of the parents in attendance were hispanic. I really think Utah in general is pretty diverse. Also, I read all these posts about how many mormons there are too 98% etc....that is simply not the case.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,519 times
In South Jordan its 93% white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah