U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 04:27 PM

171 posts, read 288,904 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job offer in the area, and I'm trying to figure out the logistics of the move and if I'd be a good fit.

About me:
1. I consider myself Christian, but I don't feel particularly affiliated with any denomination. I've attended non denominational churches, Seventh Day Adventist, Pentecostal, Episcopalian, and a couple of others a few times. I know the LDS beliefs are different than other denominations, but I would probably consider joining one of their churches.
2. I'm mostly non-political, not caring for either the hard-left or hard-right viewpoints.
3. I'm into motorcycle riding. Are there a good number of paved, scenic roads to explore?
4. I'm also into hiking. The immediacy of the mountains has me excited about the area.
5. I'm not a student, and a light sleeper. I also don't have the funds to buy a house. What are my best options for housing? I don't mind roommates, as long as they follow professional schedules. I would prefer to not have to commute.
6. I'm also not a city person, and will likely try to get out of the city on weekends (yes, Provo is big compared to where I'm from). Is that generally an easy thing to do in terms of roads and distance?
7. I'm single, male, late 20s. How easy is it to meet people? In terms of both friends and dating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 05:56 PM

19,007 posts, read 14,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I recently got a job offer in the area, and I'm trying to figure out the logistics of the move and if I'd be a good fit.

About me:
1. I consider myself Christian, but I don't feel particularly affiliated with any denomination. I've attended non denominational churches, Seventh Day Adventist, Pentecostal, Episcopalian, and a couple of others a few times. I know the LDS beliefs are different than other denominations, but I would probably consider joining one of their churches.
2. I'm mostly non-political, not caring for either the hard-left or hard-right viewpoints.
3. I'm into motorcycle riding. Are there a good number of paved, scenic roads to explore?
4. I'm also into hiking. The immediacy of the mountains has me excited about the area.
5. I'm not a student, and a light sleeper. I also don't have the funds to buy a house. What are my best options for housing? I don't mind roommates, as long as they follow professional schedules. I would prefer to not have to commute.
6. I'm also not a city person, and will likely try to get out of the city on weekends (yes, Provo is big compared to where I'm from). Is that generally an easy thing to do in terms of roads and distance?
7. I'm single, male, late 20s. How easy is it to meet people? In terms of both friends and dating.
1) As long as you are not a fanatic in either direction (pro or anti religion) and hold your beliefs to yourself rather than insisting others share your beliefs or lifestyle, you should be fine.

3) Yes there are tons of nice drives in almost all directions from the Provo area. You can go west or south into the desert, or you can go east into the mountains. Lot's of scenery in both cases.

4) Lot's of hikes in close proximity.

6) Well, this is one of my main gripes with the area: overpopulation. The biggest reason I'm planning to move away. The "Unified City of Utah Valley" is close to 500,000. Tons of people in the Provo area. That being said, it is a fairly short drive to get away from the insanity. You can go east on hwy 40 (up Provo canyon) to the Uintah Basin area or into the High Uintah mountains. You can go west into the desert and the small towns out there (like Delta, Eureka, or Grantsville). You can go southeast on hwy 6 to the Price area (probably my favorite small town in Utah) and surrounding towns. You can go south to small towns like Fillmore, Richfield, or Manti. It's very scenic and "homey" once you get out of Utah valley. Almost like another state altogether. If I didn't mind commuting, I'd move to one of these places and just drive into Utah Valley for work only. As it is, I leave (on a drive to anywhere away from the Wasatch Front!) pretty much every weekend. So, yes, you can get away from it fairly quickly.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:29 PM

7,855 posts, read 8,374,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
1)
6) Well, this is one of my main gripes with the area: overpopulation. The biggest reason I'm planning to move away. The "Unified City of Utah Valley" is close to 500,000. Tons of people in the Provo area. That being said, it is a fairly short drive to get away from the insanity. You can go east on hwy 40 (up Provo canyon) to the Uintah Basin area or into the High Uintah mountains. You can go west into the desert and the small towns out there (like Delta, Eureka, or Grantsville). You can go southeast on hwy 6 to the Price area (probably my favorite small town in Utah) and surrounding towns. You can go south to small towns like Fillmore, Richfield, or Manti. It's very scenic and "homey" once you get out of Utah valley. Almost like another state altogether. If I didn't mind commuting, I'd move to one of these places and just drive into Utah Valley for work only. As it is, I leave (on a drive to anywhere away from the Wasatch Front!) pretty much every weekend. So, yes, you can get away from it fairly quickly.
Just an FYI, Chris thinks the moon is overpopulated. :-)

Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Just an FYI, Chris thinks the moon is overpopulated. :-)
Not yet... but give it time.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 AM

11 posts, read 25,741 times
Chris, I'll be moving to Provo in the early spring and would love to escape the population of the Utah valley but would like an 30 min or less commute and quick access to the mountains. Is this possible? If so, what town would you recommend? I'm thinking of heading in the southern direction since most of what I need to access is in south Provo.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headin'West View Post
Chris, I'll be moving to Provo in the early spring and would love to escape the population of the Utah valley but would like an 30 min or less commute and quick access to the mountains. Is this possible? If so, what town would you recommend? I'm thinking of heading in the southern direction since most of what I need to access is in south Provo.
I think you are on the right track. Of the Wasatch Front region (Brigham City down to Santaquin), the south Utah Valley area is the least congested while still being close to the bigger city (Provo/Orem). An argument could be made for Brigham City, but it is farther away from Ogden than, for example, Payson is to Provo (plus it doesn't apply to you, since you want to be in the Provo area). You could look into Springville, Spanish Fork, and Payson areas. They are all very close to some nice escapes like Hobblecreek Canyon, Maple Canyon, Spanish Fork Canyon (tons of places to go here), and Payson Canyon (some wonderful hikes here). Plus if you're into taking a several-hour drive, you have Indian Canyon, Fairview Canyon, all of the Price area canyons (like Ninemile), Alpine Loop, Nebo Loop, and tons more... and some interesting desert areas as well if you're into that (like San Rafael Swell). Great skiing is not far away either.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 PM

5,112 posts, read 15,846,852 times
I think Springville, Spanish Fork, Mapleton might be a good fit. They are smaller towns south of Provo. My niece and her family love living in Spanish Fork. She & her husband grew up in Orem and thought Orem was too big for them. Spanish Fork Canyon could provide you with paved, scenic roads for bike riding & hiking opportunities.

I'd say rent an apt near work. Talk to co-workers and expand your social cirlce that way--or by meeting people where you live.

I grew up in Orem and wouldn't want to live there now as I never really fit-in there with the members of the predominant religion. You sound like you'd be a better fit that I ever was.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 PM

171 posts, read 288,904 times
Thanks. I've been having trouble finding non-student apartments in Provo itself, so I'm planning on renting a room to start, in a house with other professionals. I'll be on the road within a few days, and hopefully all will go well.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 PM

11,448 posts, read 13,778,626 times
Quote:

About me:
I'm sure they would welcome you. I would say that being LDS in Provo especially is a way of LIFE. Not just a place you go once a week. I'm sure somebody else will chime in.

Quote:
And then some, you will have access to mind blowing rides.

Quote:
More than you can take on. Utah has endless AMAZING hiking.

Quote:
Extremely easy. That's one of the awesome things about SLC/Provo, you can be in the middle of nowhere quick, just drive up a canyon and there you go.

Quote:
I think it's very easy to meet people, but I'm very outgoing. Utah has TONS of beautiful women all over the place. Down to earth cool girls too, not a lot of pretentious stuff.

I'd pick the S. end of SLC valley over Provo though, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>