Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:42 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,168,154 times

Advertisements

The Best States For Business And Careers - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 PM

25,286 posts, read 18,433,559 times
Naw, that's not bad news. It's actually good news if one is planning on leaving in search of a quieter life. It keeps the "gold rush" mentality right here. Right where I won't be.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:43 PM

27,894 posts, read 29,704,101 times
Wow! Are we cool or are we cool!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,704,461 times
It will be interesting to watch Utah. With the rapid sprawl of the last few decades, a high growth rate, and low regulations, it sounds like the place to be to weather out this big storm. However, will this unregulated boom end up creating a sprawling megalopolis along the Wasatch? Something about this seems like LA a few decades ago, or Seattle. I guess I am just a slow growth person by nature. I have seen rapid growth, and it is not pretty. I just hope that in the bonanza, people are thinking of the future too.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
.............However, will this unregulated boom end up creating a sprawling megalopolis along the Wasatch? .............
It already has.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:18 PM

15 posts, read 30,433 times
I know that the state of Utah gave my husband's company big tax incentives to build a new plant here...so that validates the report. I would love to see the list of new companies building in Utah.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,420,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It already has.
No doubt. The change over the last 20 yrs has been awesome. I am very curious to see how the next 20 will be. I will say that SLC (compared to other cities) has really done a fantastic job planing infrastructure around anticipated growth. My biggest concern with the valley is pollution however.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 AM

427 posts, read 1,300,501 times
This is making a lot of news because Utah was #1, but we're on this list every year usually at 2 or 3, just behind Virginia. Nothing new. It's interesting though because there's a lot of growth, but not a ridiculous amount as many people outside of Utah are still 'scared' (read: misinformed) of the state.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:35 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,168,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
This is making a lot of news because Utah was #1, but we're on this list every year usually at 2 or 3, just behind Virginia. Nothing new. It's interesting though because there's a lot of growth, but not a ridiculous amount as many people outside of Utah are still 'scared' (read: misinformed) of the state.
Very true, some people don't get it until they spend some time here. My co-worker came just to help me setup up my office, she loved it here so much she ended up working out a telecommuting contract and moving here also.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 PM

25,286 posts, read 18,433,559 times
I've never really understood the "scared" thing. I know it exists, and I've seen some posts here that just have me shaking my head, but it doesn't make sense to me. Scared of what? Someone's religion? The inquisition, witch hunts, and crusades were hundreds of years ago. Religion is the last thing I think about when making a move (unless it's some sort of totalitarian theocracy or something, which Utah is not. Last I checked we were still part of the US with its freedom of religion). Who cares where neighbors go to church? And who cares if neighbors are not just like me? I have no idea what religion my neighbors are. I really don't care as long as it's not somehow hampering my own free agency. They could be worshiping a giant yellow beach ball in their back yard as far as I care.

I may not like all aspects of Utah, but there is nothing here that "scares" me at all. That's one of Utah's redeeming qualities in my eyes (the safe, family-oriented social aspect). Sheesh, look at the crime stats! With only a few exceptions, they're minuscule compared to similarly-sized metro areas elsewhere. I'd definitely be "scared" in parts of LA or NYC or Miami if crimes stats are any indication. But being frightened by where someone goes to church, or that the neighbor doesn't drink beer and watch football on Sunday, or that a missionary may just knock on your door once in a blue moon is just silly.

I get a kick out of people who cry for "diversity" the loudest... they are usually the ones who want everyone around them to be just like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah