Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:06 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
24% increase in population over a 10 year time frame is completely unsustainable. Increases in populations demand increases in services: police, fire, roads, schools, infrastructure, as well as TAXES. I predict Utah will not remain a low cost of living state for much longer due to rapid population growth.
Well, the property/home values went completely insane quite a few years back. But since the economy tanked, values have decreased a bit. Still, homes/property (in my opinion) are way, way, way too high around here. We're still in a la-la land bubble, to a certain extent. Especially considering the typical wage here is not all that high. Now, having said that, I'll also say that the cost of living (besides home values) is really pretty decent. And the unemployment rate is low... but so is the typical wage, as I said.

Still, I have to shake my head at times. I don't see the draw of this place. I know... lot's of posters on the forum love the place. Okay, winters can be kind of nice around here on the odd year, and the mountains are nice. Love to ski. But, you know, I'm reading all the time about "best places to live" and looking at various stats on the economy, quality of life and such. If I were basing the desirability of a place only on the average wage versus the afford-ability of homes, I'd likely go for a metro area like Pittsburgh. Yes, the unemployment is higher. But the wage is also a little higher and housing is WAY more affordable than it is in Utah. Plus, it's really kind of a pretty place for a metro area. Green. Lot's of hills.

Oh well, as it is, I'm sold on moving to North Dakota. Yeah, I'll likely be making less money, but money's not everything. And hey, I bought a building lot fairly close to Grand Forks for under 1K (no, it's not in a flood zone). Try that in Utah. You can't even buy salt desert land 100 miles from civilization for anything near that. And if you do find a decent lot, the building regulations/fees are downright abusive. We certainly ARE getting California-style red tape around here.

At the end of the day, I think we should all be where we'd like to be. Life's too short to waste in a place you don't care for. So, if Utah does it for you, cool.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:20 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Isn't the growth mostly around Salt Lake City? I'm considering retiring in Utah, but I want to be in an area where growth is the last thing on a transplant's mind.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:56 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
24% increase in population over a 10 year time frame is completely unsustainable. Increases in populations demand increases in services: police, fire, roads, schools, infrastructure, as well as TAXES. I predict Utah will not remain a low cost of living state for much longer due to rapid population growth.
No.More people doesn't mean more taxes.Look at Texas or Florida.
But more people = more workers = more revenues for the state.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:29 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Isn't the growth mostly around Salt Lake City? I'm considering retiring in Utah, but I want to be in an area where growth is the last thing on a transplant's mind.
St George was the fasest growing city for a decade I think.

There may be areas that have had high growth rates but it doesn't mean they are turning into Los Angeles. A city growing from 2-3,000 people has a fast rate but I would not say that area is a bad area to move to if you want to be away from it all.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 PM

52 posts, read 166,708 times
In addition to factors already mentioned in this thread, SLC (along with other "medium" cities such as Minneapolis) has been designated as a federal refugee resettlement center. Newcomers from Africa especially tend to have very large families (I see this in my job). With in the last few years SLC has been a relocation point for quite a few Sudanese, in particular. Many have 5+ children.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:04 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Uh no.

How do you think the local government pays for new roads, schools, etc?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
That HIGHLY DEPENDS on how well the state economy performs. With the unsustainable increase in population, the state economy will always be under IMMENSE PRESSURE just to keep job growth levels high enough to keep up with population growth. Therefore, costs of living will likely increase due to demand factors. It sure isn't a conservative model at all.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:47 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,731 times
How are taxes in Utah ? I'm sure they have an Income Tax (state IT), but are the rates structured real progressively ? How are property taxes and Sales Taxes ? High, reasonble, or low ?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Wandered off topic. Stick to UT growth please.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: