U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 AM

23 posts, read 88,426 times

Advertisements

My husband my be getting Transfered to Utah (we should find out today) and we would be living in the West Jordan area with my Dad until we find a place of our own.

I'm trying to do some research on the schools in West Jordan but so far I'm not all that impressed with what I see. Can anyone that has kids in the school system possible make me feel better. The class sizes seem huge compared to what my daughter has now and I'm a little concerned that she will get lost in the shuffle. I also didn't see a very good report on the no child left behind website or jordandistrict.org. Maybe these aren't telling the whole story any incite?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:34 AM

347 posts, read 1,508,752 times
I live in West Jordan and yes, school classes are waaay bigger that just about anywhere else. I have six kids (four are in elem. school) and we go to a charter school in Draper. Charter schools are everywhere (for a reason) but they are quite hard to get into. Ours has a waiting list of 1400 families (not students).
The school quality really depends on where you live. I happen to live near a huge apartment complex. Most of the parents work, so there is very little parental involvement. To me that is the main issue that determines if a school is good or not.
If you live in Western West Jordan (west of about 4500 W.) there are a lot more families. Parents seem much more involved, and it makes a big difference.
Yes, Utah spends the least amount of money per student, and the classes are big, but we also have the highest high school graduation rate in the country, so it's not completely terrible.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:20 PM

23 posts, read 88,426 times
How do Charter Schools work and are Charter Schools like Magnet Schools. One more question. Are there any private schools around there that won't break my wallet.

For instance some of the Private schools around here are very expensive something like $10,000 a year but the Catholic Schools are around $3,800. Much more affordable and very good educations. Are there Catholic schools around there or again affordable private schools.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:20 PM

347 posts, read 1,508,752 times
There are a couple of Catholic schools. Juan Diego is in Draper and I think that's the closest.
Carden Memorial School is absolutely fantastic. It's in Sugarhouse and is about a 20 minute drive (one way). My kids went there for four years. it's non-denominational Christian and is about $4500 per year.
I don't know what a magnet school is, but a charter is a public school that is pretty much run by parents. It has to have the approved curriculum, but after that, it's up to the particular school's board to decide how it should be. Some are formal, some are casual. Some are into arts, some into language. They almost always require a major amount of parental volunteering, and uniforms. Most are K-9 (high school starts here in 10th grade). There are a couple of charter high schools, but my kids are all younger than that, so I can't really comment. Every charter that I know of has a huge waiting list, and students are picked by lottery beginning in February. There's a much better chance of getting into a charter if you have a child beginning kindergarten. Many more open spaces. (Once you have one student in, then siblings get in automatically).
PM me if you have aany more questions.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM

494 posts, read 1,816,154 times
Default Depends on Where you Live

The class size largely depends on where you live in West Jordan... Those living on the western side of the city have larger class sizes than those on the eastern side. In fact, Oakcrest Elementary (on the far west side of the city) is the most overcrowded school in the district (Jordan). Overall, the schools are not bad, they are just OK (nothing too great). I know friends who have kids going to Terra Linda and Majestic and are happy with the teachers, class sizes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: