Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,423 times

Advertisements

Wow that's rare!!

I lived in Helena Montana for fourteen years and on and off in the Denver area for close to twenty before heading back east.
In all of that time out west I had never ever seen a fire fly there.
I finally moved back to eastern Pennsylvania in 2009.
I'm invaded in my yard at dusk daily by the lovely flashing of fire flys.
Just last night I sat on our garden bench we have in our front yard and watched them for close to 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM

29 posts, read 83,912 times
We lived near Reading for 11 years (1999-2000) before comimng back to Nevada and that is one thing I miss.

I've been to Utah in the summer several times to attend some minor league baseball games in Ogden, SLC and Orem and have never seen one. Of course I wasn't really looking but if I saw one, I'd know what it is. We're planning to go to Orem during Labor Day for the OWLZ final home series and we'll be looking this time.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,972 times
My son discovered fireflies in Mitchell's Hollow in Highland, Utah just about two weeks ago. I've gone into the hollow several times to see them. Absolutely amazing. I'm a long-time firefly fan--having seen them in Illinois, Nebraska, and Pennsylvania--but have never seen them in Utah. My father, who was born in Highland and stills lives here, (81 years old) has never seen fireflies in Utah. The conventional wisdom is that Utah is too dry for them...or that the alkaline soil is incompatible with their life cycle. Well, they're here and it's amazing. I just went into the hollow to check and only saw two fireflies at approximately 10:20 PM (June 24, 2012). However, last week we saw about 10 at a time in that same area and about the same time of night.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
i see fireflies almost every night that i walk the dog down in the cow pastures. two nights ago i caught one because it wandered into my path on the road i was walking.

growing up in utah, i never saw any. but we would drive out to nebraska and iowa in the summers to visit grandparents and great grandparents, and we always saw them then.

and now, for the past two years or so, they have been in utah.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,780 times
Default Fireflies in Utah

There are actually lots of fireflies in Utah. My student and I are studying them. Anyone specific locations for us would be much appreciated. There are two lare populations we have been studying this year. One at Goshen ponds and another in Nibley Utah.

Is the Michell's Hollow you are talking about a park or something else?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
Smile Fireflies in Utah

I just saw the press on fireflies in Utah dated July 4th, 2013. KSL even did a special on how no one has ever seen fireflies in Utah. I am amazed by this as I have lived in Utah for 20 years now and we have them in our field every year!!! I love seeing them as they look like faries in our field but I did not know it was a unique experience. We live in Park City in the wetlands area so it must be a good environment for them here.

It is usually a short period of time, a few weeks maybe, but this year it has been over a month so far. Tonight was especially spectacular with the lightening flashing across the sky, thunder, soft rain and our field twinkling with the fireflies...an amazing display of nature!

Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,477 times
In Alberta there are millions of mosquitos, but I've never seen any fireflies in SLC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah