Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,285 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I've been lurking in this forum for several weeks now. We're moving out to Dugway in July (my finance's army). We visited about 3 weeks ago, I was pretty devastated about the size of the town (and no curbside recycling), but everyone we met was very nice and welcoming. We're city people originally from Chicago (and I'm vegetarian to boot!). A few months after we move we're planning to rent a small apartment in SLC (probably close to Nordstroms or other shopping - LOL) to spend the weekends, though I might be living there fulltime. I'm wondering about the drive - we currently live in the DC area, so Utah traffic definitely won't bother us - I probably see more cars on my way home from work than are in the entire state of Utah.
We're a bit bummed about living so far apart - we'll be newlyweds - and want to make sure it would be feasible to travel back and forth during the weekends even in winter or at night. Any thoughts? I just bought a subaru to fit in with my new neighbors. My job is letting me work remotely/virtually, so I can pretty much live anywhere I have high-speed internet and a phoneline.
Also, any other advice you'd like to offer would be graciously accepted. Thanks all!
michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 03:50 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergieturk View Post
Hi All,
I've been lurking in this forum for several weeks now. We're moving out to Dugway in July (my finance's army). We visited about 3 weeks ago, I was pretty devastated about the size of the town (and no curbside recycling), but everyone we met was very nice and welcoming. We're city people originally from Chicago (and I'm vegetarian to boot!). A few months after we move we're planning to rent a small apartment in SLC (probably close to Nordstroms or other shopping - LOL) to spend the weekends, though I might be living there fulltime. I'm wondering about the drive - we currently live in the DC area, so Utah traffic definitely won't bother us - I probably see more cars on my way home from work than are in the entire state of Utah.
We're a bit bummed about living so far apart - we'll be newlyweds - and want to make sure it would be feasible to travel back and forth during the weekends even in winter or at night. Any thoughts? I just bought a subaru to fit in with my new neighbors. My job is letting me work remotely/virtually, so I can pretty much live anywhere I have high-speed internet and a phoneline.
Also, any other advice you'd like to offer would be graciously accepted. Thanks all!
michelle
Hi Michelle...Welcome to the forum!

We were stationed in Dugway for 2 years so maybe I can help with some of your questions.
Living in Salt Lake and comuting is not feesible. SL is about 85 miles from DPG and during the winter months that would be really difficult. If you can live anywhere for your job, you are better off to live on base. The highspeed internet is provided by the cable company and it is very good.(So is the cable and phone service.) You will have to go into Tooelle for alot of shopping needs. The comissary there on post is really tiny, but did a pretty good job of keeping things in stock. However, their selection and options are limited. We did all our main shopping at the super walmart in Tooelle, and used the comissary for things like milk, eggs, bread, fruits and fresh veggies. The mountain pass from DPG to Tooelle is actually very well maintained. In the winter months that is the first area plowed and they keep it in good condition. Most of the people who didn't live on post lived in Tooelle so they were very good about keeping it safe. It is a mountain pass, so you do need to be very cautious, and wild animals and calltle will occasionaly meander onto the road. It is a beautiful drive though. The other way to get to DPG is called skull valley rd and it is not plowed until after the pass, and sometimes not at all. Oh, and there are alway cattle, deer, etc... on that road. It is less safe then the pass. Unless they have changed something in the last 2yrs. then there is no curbside recycling. They do however have recycling stations set up around the base, and they have bulk pick-up once a month which I found very helpful.The AAFES (shopette) dosen't carry much, but they will order anything in that you wish to buy. Also, keep in mind that you can go to Hill Airforce base if you don't want to wait to have something ordered in to DPG. For what it's worth, there were people who went to SLC almost every weekend for shopping, entertainment etc...but they also complained about the drive.
I hope I was able to help a little. Good luck to you, and be careful moving over.

Oh, one more thing...If you are dead set against living on post then Tooelle would be your best bet. Many of the people stationed there while we were, lived in Tooelle.

Best wishes, and enjoy the beautiful area while you are there.

Last edited by Beretta; 05-31-2008 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 PM

16 posts, read 60,050 times
We now have curbside recycling!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 PM

15 posts, read 46,092 times
Curbside recycling began in July 2008.
Just about everything is accepted except glass, yard waste, grass, dirt, tree limbs, weeds, scrap metal, small appliances, clothing, food wrappings, toilet paper, paper towels and hazardous materials.
But cans, plastic and paper sacks, newspapers, junk mail, etc. are accepted. The bin is large, like a large trash can, and you wheel it out to the curb every other Friday for pickup.

I wouldn't call the Commissary (grocery store) tiny. It strives to offer a good variety but deliveries are only three times a week. A visiting group or herd of housewives can clean out much of the delivery in a few hours.
But on the whole, you'll get what you need. You may not find turnips, bok choy or other non-standard fare but you can get the basics.
Most people buy their non-standard groceries in Tooele, 40 miles and 45 minutes away (on a warm summer day). Winter driving may require more time.
Dugway is at nearly 5,000 feet altitude. The mountain pass is 6,000.
Salt Lake City is about 80 miles or 70 miles distant, on a good day. It does not require going over a mountain pass, as you go around the northern end of the Stansbury Mountain range on I-80.
Many workers commute from Salt Lake City every day.
The regular work week is four, 10-hour days, Monday through Thursday. Most SLC commuters sign on with a Utah Transit 12 or 14-passenger van.
The cost is about $100 a month. If you work for the Army, the Army pays for it. I'm unsure if contractors are reimbursed.

Some people hate Dugway for its remoteness. Others, like myself, enjoy it for that very reason. It all depends upon what your likes and hobbies are.
I've lived in major cities and small towns. I much prefer to live in a small town.
About 95 percent of Dugway residents are civilian. This is a most unusual Army post for that fact.

I realize this was posted in 2008, but others may benefit.

Last edited by Gatofeo; 07-14-2010 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: wrong year!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 AM

35 posts, read 87,057 times
What is it like living on post with kids - my son would be 10 if we go there. How are the schools? Also, I know Utah is more Morman than any other religion, but are other demominations located on post - such as Catholic? We kind of are a low key family, like exploring different areas, would like going to the fitness center, my son would hang out at the youth center or play with other kids. I would think with 4-day work weeks that would leave you with the opportunity for a weekend in the city or an adventure off to someplace else....I'm not much of a shopper - I like doing mine on the internet. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 AM

15 posts, read 31,953 times
Well, got to admit, Dugway is really isolated, but Tooele is not far and there is adequate shopping, movies, etc there. My thought is your social network would be the other people stationed there and they would be a diverse group. Salt Lake would be drivable for weekend visits and bigger city shopping. Salt Lake City is a very vegetarian friendly place, you will find the food you need on your weekend forays into the city. Lets face it, when young and in love, your main focus will be with each other. Be Happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah