U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 11:06 PM

16 posts, read 32,101 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Provo and currently looking at two different homes to rent. Both are one in the same as far as rent and other details. The only difference between the two is the location. The first home is located in northeast Provo near Rock Canyon about 1 mi from BYU. The second home is located in southeast Provo near the Provo cemetery. Ideally, we'd like to be as close to outdoor recreation as possible-climbing, hiking, fly fishing, skiing etc. We'd also like to be in biking distance to a grocery store and such since we just like to hop on our bike to run get groceries or a movie. However, since we have dogs that are used to country living we'd also like to be away from heavy traffic areas. We'd like to live in a neighborhood that is quiet and laid back. Lastly, I'm not sure if this detail matters but I will throw it out there, we are not LDS and we'd prefer to live in an area that is not offended by this. I'd say this is probably the most important factor to us. It is important that our neighborhood is friendly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 PM

19,030 posts, read 14,264,556 times
The main outdoor recreation is in the mountains to the east for the most part, so you won't be at a disadvantage in either location, since you will be driving from either location to get to the real playgrounds. Northeast Provo is slightly closer to Provo Canyon, but it's not really even worth noting.

As for immediately local outdoor activities on the east side of Provo: Rock Canyon would be closer to the northeast location. Rock Canyon is popular for rock climbing and is decent for hiking/mountain biking as well. Slate canyon is closer to the southeast location. Personally, I like this canyon much better for hiking. It's less used and a bit remote once you get to the top. There is also the "Bonneville Shoreline Trail" that roughly follows a wide bike/hike path in the east foothills that traverse the Provo area all the way along Provo's east flank. It's kind of nice for a casual walk or bike. There is the Provo River Trail that goes from Utah Lake to the west, through downtown Provo, and up Provo Canyon through several parks. It's 15 paved miles total with a 1.5 mile extension north along the shore of Utah Lake. Good for casual jogging, walking, biking, and skating.

You may find a quiet neighborhood in Provo, but you will not get away from heavy traffic as soon as you leave that neighborhood. As soon as you need to go anywhere in Provo or leave Provo, you'll have heavy traffic. I hate driving in Provo/Orem.

Oddly, at least in my opinion, Provo lacks grocery stores. The few that are there are in the central downtown area. There is a Smiths and a couple of others. There are a few health food, Asian, and Latin American markets sprinkled around as well.

As for the northeast and southeast area question: my take is that the northeast area tends toward upper class. Lot's of McMansions. The southeast tends to be a bit more blue-collar and college student oriented. Personally, I like the southeast area because the homes are typically smaller and older (I like small homes and homes built before about 1950). On the other hand if you go a bit farther south in the southeast area, it's a huge condo/apartment city. That's basically all that is there. I don't like this area because it's like going into "the projects" or something. Everything looks the same. Too institutional for my tastes.

This is just me, but my preferences would be: #1 the non-extreme south of southeast Provo. #2 northeast Provo. #3 the extreme south of Southeast Provo.

Your mileage may vary...

Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM

16 posts, read 32,101 times
Chris,

I appreciate all the information! The particular home we are looking at is in SE Provo, literally a balls throw from the Provo Cemetery. Are you familiar with this location? Would this be considered the "non-extreme south of south east Provo?" Since we are not from Provo I have absolutely no idea of the general location of this home.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM

19,030 posts, read 14,264,556 times
Yes. That area is generally older small homes. It's primarily a mixture of "working class" and some college student oriented apartments/4-plexes/converted houses. The monster condo/apartment developments are to the east and south.

I'd say that it really depends on what you're looking for and expect. As I said, it's generally older homes. Some are well cared for, others not so much. But that applies to most neighborhoods, I suppose. It's generally peaceful and quiet as far as I know. I actually had a friend that lived very close to the cemetery in a nice old home. It's a mixed bag, really. There are quite a few little shops and restaurants in the immediate area. There's a Hispanic Market. There's a Thai food restaurant (good stuff!). Chinese place. There was a health food shop--I think it's still there. Convenience store/gas station. And a few other things. State Street runs along the cemetery (main road going to Springville), so there is some industrial buildings in the area as well. You'd also be fairly close to the walking/biking trail running along the foothills, Slate Canyon (fun hiking), and Seven Peaks waterpark. Downtown is also pretty close--like a couple of minutes away.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 AM

22 posts, read 43,515 times
Welcome to Utah! I don't know the Provo area very well - but I am fairly new to Utah myself. I would say you are going to find a very strong LDS contingency anywhere in Utah County, so with that in mind, I wouldn't limit what town I live in within the county unless you want to get close to SL county and commute down to Provo (where I imagine you'll be working). As for people caring whether you are LDS - I don't think people care. I live in PG and nobody treats me any different than they did when I lived back East (that is, they generally ignore me but are kind and say hello when passing). Good luck. I would also echo what previous poster said: anywhere you live, you are not far from the mountains which = hiking, fishing, biking, etc. I'd focus more on finding where you want to live and commute to the mountains. What are you moving to Utah for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>