U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,162 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I'm just a vacationer adventuring through Utah, and I'm wondering what are the worthwhile things to see? We're traveling north to south. I've looked at some of the basic tourist info, i.e., Temple Square, Moab, Ski Slopes, Lake Powell etc.

But it's been my experience to always ask the locals what the best places are. They always seem to know the best.

So, any good places for a passing tourist to visit? I'm hoping to stay near I-15 for logistical reasons.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:14 PM

402 posts, read 1,453,017 times
Near I-15, Id say Temple Square for sure. I really like the natural history museum at the U of U, but I like museums. Clark Planetarium as well (exhibits are free, and the planetarium/imax prices are not bad). Call me crazy, but I like Cabela's down in Lehi (great taxidermy exhibits and aquarium exhibit), and Zion NP (set aside a day for this). With the exception of Zion, all are within 5 miles or closer to I-15. Though I've never been yet, there is also Cove Fort at I-15/I-70 junction. It was a fort built by the pioneer settlers when they got to Utah. I'm not sure, but I believe it is/was operated by the LDS Church.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 PM

15,729 posts, read 27,718,490 times
Timpanagos Caves
Timpanogos Cave National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Mt. Nebo Scenic Byway near Payson
Nebo Loop Scenic Byway | Utah.com

Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 PM

25,959 posts, read 26,927,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM8 View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm just a vacationer adventuring through Utah, and I'm wondering what are the worthwhile things to see? We're traveling north to south. I've looked at some of the basic tourist info, i.e., Temple Square, Moab, Ski Slopes, Lake Powell etc.

But it's been my experience to always ask the locals what the best places are. They always seem to know the best.

So, any good places for a passing tourist to visit? I'm hoping to stay near I-15 for logistical reasons.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
If you're wanting to stay close to I-15, you're going to want to see both Bryce and Zion. Plan for 1-2 days at Bryce and from 2-4 days at Zion, just depending upon how much time you have available. Once you tell us that, we can be more specific. Also, how much time could you devote to the Salt Lake City area? I could suggest stuff to keep you busy here for almost a full week.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,245,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you're wanting to stay close to I-15, you're going to want to see both Bryce and Zion. Plan for 1-2 days at Bryce and from 2-4 days at Zion, just depending upon how much time you have available. Once you tell us that, we can be more specific. Also, how much time could you devote to the Salt Lake City area? I could suggest stuff to keep you busy here for almost a full week.
My husband and I are no locals but were also vacationers adventuring through Utah in 2009. What an amazing state for sightseeing, hiking and enjoying! Such a fantastic surprise scenic-wise.

I must second Katzpur's suggestion above - Bryce and Zion are must-sees and Bucket List essentials. We could only spend a day in each but it was enough to convince us we had to go back again, soon, for longer.

We meandered up to Moab via 12, 24, etc., through more awesome scenery.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
My husband and I are no locals but were also vacationers adventuring through Utah in 2009. What an amazing state for sightseeing, hiking and enjoying! Such a fantastic surprise scenic-wise.

I must second Katzpur's suggestion above - Bryce and Zion are must-sees and Bucket List essentials. We could only spend a day in each but it was enough to convince us we had to go back again, soon, for longer.

We meandered up to Moab via 12, 24, etc., through more awesome scenery.
Hello, Vichel. So how are things in Oz? I'm glad you liked Utah! Thanks for stopping by the Utah forum to say so.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 AM

835 posts, read 1,971,562 times
In the northern part of the state, I really like going to the Golden Spike National Historic Site. It is about 20-25 miles west of I-15 and well worth the stop. Check out the web page to get the times they are open and if the 2 Original trains are "coming out" on the day you might stop there. 2 other interesting things that are near there-call me nerdy if you feel the need-include the "Rocket Garden" at Thiokol and the incredible "Spiral Jetty" earth art.
Have a great time while you are in our most beautiful state

Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Hello, Vichel. So how are things in Oz? I'm glad you liked Utah! Thanks for stopping by the Utah forum to say so.
You're welcome! And things are going fine here in Oz, hope it's the same for you there.

Yeah, just had to drop by and give some kudos to Utah. Most people I talk to here have no idea about your lovely State. It's not a US destination most consider visiting, only due to not knowing what's there. Conversations about it usually go something like: "oh it's the state with the big Mormon Tabernacle?". And that's it. We've convinced a few Aussies here to put Utah on their list after we gushed about the parks we visited, like Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Dead Horse, Monument Valley, etc. Our pictures always seal the deal for them. They're like "OMG! It's gorgeous!"

And that's just the bottom half. We look forward to seeing the top half too.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
You're welcome! And things are going fine here in Oz, hope it's the same for you there.
So is Oz "Oztralia"?

Quote:
Yeah, just had to drop by and give some kudos to Utah. Most people I talk to here have no idea about your lovely State. It's not a US destination most consider visiting, only due to not knowing what's there. Conversations about it usually go something like: "oh it's the state with the big Mormon Tabernacle?". And that's it. We've convinced a few Aussies here to put Utah on their list after we gushed about the parks we visited, like Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Dead Horse, Monument Valley, etc. Our pictures always seal the deal for them. They're like "OMG! It's gorgeous!"
Well, keep up the good work!

Quote:
And that's just the bottom half. We look forward to seeing the top half too.
Let us know before that happens so we can help you plan another great trip. The top half is beautiful, too, just in a completely different way.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
So is Oz "Oztralia"?

Well, keep up the good work!

Let us know before that happens so we can help you plan another great trip. The top half is beautiful, too, just in a completely different way.
Yep, Oz is Oztralia We shorten everything we can. Brekkie for breakfast, sunnies for sunglasses, arvo for afternoon, etc.

Thank you, I sure will come back for suggestions and advice on what to see and do in the top half of Utah! I look forward to being there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah