Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,219 times

Advertisements

I have been lurking around here for a while and I have finally decided to ask a question. Any advice would be appreciated. Here is the backstory. My wife and I lived in Utah for 8 years. We love it there, we have family there. We had to move because the job market is very competitive and I figured I would get a better job elsewhere, get some good experience, then get a great job back in Utah. We have lived outside of Utah for 2 1/2 years now. I have been trying to get a job back in Utah but because we were on the East Coast I did not get anything. Then got a job offer in Northern California with a great company. We live in a very nice area and make enough to do what we want to and put money away. My son is young enough that he will not be going to school for a few years. We have been out here for a month and I just got a job offer from Utah with a great company. It would be enough that we could get a house and settle in. I feel torn. I do not want to burn this company that I am with. Plus they paid for relocation and we would have to break our lease. We would then have to pay rent until the townhouse is filled.We could make the money back moving back to Utah, we have some money put away so financially it would just sting for a little bit. I am also worried about what my resume would look like leaving a company so soon. When I talk to my wife she will support me no matter what. Do I stick it out here for at least a year and then try to get a job back in Utah? Or do I just bite the bullet and come back? Any advice is appreciated and if you have any questions, just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 AM

5,118 posts, read 16,565,755 times
I would post your thread in the "Work and Employment" forum as this has more to do with your decision to leave one job for another and not Utah specifically.

I've only ever worked and lived in Utah, I'm not married nor do I have kids. So I don't think my advice as far as your decision would be relevant.

Good luck to you whatever decision you make.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:37 PM

26 posts, read 46,481 times
It is a tough decision. It comes down to your desire to move back to Utah with your family. It is hard to find a good company, but you also need to realize their loyalty to you is more than likely based on their making money. If they had budget cuts and had to lay you off, they probably would. It is a business decision, but more importantly a family decision. You should do what is best for your family!

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,734,449 times
I have to admit if I lived in Northern California again (lived there 10 years before moving here) and I was in a good job that was paying me enough to have a good life and still save, and the company and folks with that company and I got along great, I would NOT have moved. I mainly moved because someone here in Utah offered me an opportunity when I was struggling in California to make ends meet. We sold our house there. I ended up getting here and got dumped on by the employer and ended up working for myself traveling for a living. So I spent fairly little time here in Utah. When I finally got off the road 10 years later and found myself here all the time, I have to admit, I didn't like it as well. I would just say think very carefully before you make the move here if you are well off where you are. Good jobs are hard to find and few and far between. If you have a bird in the hand don't try for 2 in the bush with this economy that's for sure.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah