Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 PM

48 posts, read 131,502 times

Advertisements

Is Utah still affordable compared to other Western states or is that changing slowly?

I'm interested in relocating to either Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, or Washington State whichever a better paying job opportunity comes up first because these states have the best job market in my field. If not, I will just stay in Tennessee; however, I feel like making a change in my life.

Is Utah very dry but low in humidity with comfortable summers and cool winters?

Last edited by VolunteerTN; 05-09-2011 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
I don't think Salt Lake is quite the "bargain" it once was regarding rental costs and housing prices. They are still among some of the most reasonable in the nation, but in some cases that would mean living in a less desirable area to get those prices. Pay in this State is without a question LOWER than a national average however. Utah is kind of known for their lower pay, lower cost of living. There's no free lunch. If you are a doctor, attorney, business professional etc. sure you will have an edge.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I don't think Salt Lake is quite the "bargain" it once was regarding rental costs and housing prices. ... Utah is kind of known for their lower pay, lower cost of living. There's no free lunch.
Exactly right.

As for Utah climate: Utah is a land of extremes. Cold winters. Hot summers. Not as hot as Phoenix in the summer and not as cold as Northern Minnesota in the winter, but for people coming from most areas around the country, generally it will be found to be either too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter... or both. Summer days are typically in the mid 90's (with over 100 fairly common), and winter highs in the 30's (with very frequent highs down in the 20's or occasional teens); overnight winter lows are typically in the low teens. Significant winter snowfall blankets most populated areas of the state during the winter (it's quite variable from year to year, however). Most people don't know that Utah holds the second lowest recorded temperature recorded in the continental United States, at −69.3 °F (the temp was recorded in Peter Sinks near Logan).

Old 05-10-2011, 10:05 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As for Utah climate:
Add *depending on where in Utah*, to the description. Then you can really use the word *extreme*.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
When I moved here in 2001, I was appalled at comparative house prices. I paid the same amount here for an 80 y/o house with 987 sq ft on 0.12 acre as I had for my 1900 sq ft 5 y/o house on 1+ acre in MS. And that was more than my New Orleans house sold for!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:24 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Add *depending on where in Utah*, to the description. Then you can really use the word *extreme*.
Oh, I don't know, I find it extreme in one direction, the other, or both anywhere in the state. There are, of course, the high mountain valleys that stay in the 80's or 70's for summer highs. Trouble is, they are generally on federal forest lands or resort towns--and those areas have very heavy snowfall and very cold temps during the winter (for instance the "High Uintahs"). On the other hand, I can go to St. George. The winter highs are typically in the 50's (nightly lows in the 20's)... but the summers are hotter than hell (101 average July high). Those are the two extremes. The rest of the state will typically be only slightly cooler in the summer than St. George and only slightly warmer than those higher mountain valleys in the winter. I challenge anyone to find a "moderate climate" in the classical sense within the state of Utah. It ain't happenin'. Looking at the many Koppen Climate Classification zones for Utah (and there are many micro climates), not a one of them would be considered moderate:

BSk - cool semi-arid
BWk - cold desert
Csa - hot summer Mediterranean
Dfa- humid continental (hot)
Dfb - humid continental (warm)
Dfc - subarctic (very cold)
Dsa - continental Mediterranean (hot)
Dsb - continental Mediterranean (hot)
Dsc - continental Mediterranean (cold)
H - highland

(No moderation there)

Take my location which is perhaps a "typical" climate for Utah. There were several days last year that had a high temp of 16 degrees and low of around 0. On the other hand, we reached 100 twice. I'd say most folks would find that an extreme climate. And it's not at all out of the ordinary. A "moderate" climate might be something like much of the Pacific coast that typically doesn't swing outside the 45 to 85 degree range, day or night, year around. You will not find that in Utah anywhere.

Bottom line is the "average person" would call Utah's climate extreme in one or both directions, especially if they are coming from where the typical transplant comes from.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:24 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
When I moved here in 2001, I was appalled at comparative house prices. I paid the same amount here for an 80 y/o house with 987 sq ft on 0.12 acre as I had for my 1900 sq ft 5 y/o house on 1+ acre in MS. And that was more than my New Orleans house sold for!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
The same happened to me. I paid almost double for my house here, as I did for a bigger house we built, w/ alot bigger yard in Ohio. In the grand scheme of things, I believe it's cheaper here in Utah than many places, but, not where I'm from. However, I do not want to go back to Ohio. lol

As for the dry heat, I've heard people say 'when it's hot, there's no difference'. For my perspective, I very much disagree. I'm so used to & love the dryness, that I sweat when I go back to Ohio & it's in the 60's at night. lol & I'm skinny. lol

We had the choices of a promotion for hubby's job in Indy, Atlanta, Seattle, Dallas, Modesto, & SLC. I wanted to do Utah, & am so glad we did. We love it here. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah