Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,545 times

Advertisements

I am looking for host families for Chinese exchange students for this summer. (Two weeks)
I was wondering if you would be interested in hosting or if you know anyone that might be interested.
Below is some info on the program.

Here is a bit more information on the exchange program- hopefully it will help answer your questions.

The students will arrive July 18th (time is TBD still) they will be picked up from the airport by motor coach and driven to the academic center which is located in West Haven/Roy.
I will provide a time as soon as I can- you and your family will then meet us at the academic center with signs, balloons, and smiles to great your student(s). After we arrive we will have a small welcome party - having ice cream sundaes. =)
You then can take your student(s) home to settle in.

The program starts the next day- we will have a academic program for the students. They have class during the day in West Haven at a LDS church. We are using a LDS church because they are so kind not to charge us for use of the building. (this program is not LDS affiliated)
The academic program will start approx 8:30-9am and end approx 5pm. (if you work schedule does not work with these times we can arrange something- sometimes families leave the student(s) with me earlier in the morning or later in the evening).
The academic program isn't really much of a academic program. LOL
We have classes with a certified teacher during the mornings but they are fun things like- American foods, American money fun things to get them to use their English and teach them about American life. In the afternoon we have activities such as: swimming, touring SLC, ropes course, shopping in Park city, arcade and so on. All of these activities you and your family are WELCOME to come to. I will also pass along any discounts I get to your family. The program pays for the student but you would be responsible for you and your family if you chose to come.

Things your family would need to provide for the student(s):
Each family needs to pack a sack lunch for the student(s) for the day.
I do my best to have local restaurants donate lunch's - so this information I will let you know.
Breakfast and dinner- you would just treat the student(s) like they are part of your family.
You would also need to provide them a sleeping space. They can share rooms but need their own bed/sleeping area. (cot, blow up mattress etc... just not the floor)

Students come with their own spending money.
They know they are responsible to pay for themselves on activities with your family.
Please let them know in advance so they can budget their funds.
Compass asks if you go out to eat more than twice a week that you pay for the student after the 2nd time.
Now.... you can choose to pay for everything for your student or have them pay. This is your decision and whatever you choose is fine and your choice.

We will be having a farewell party before the students leave- I think its one of the best part of the program. The kids do a fun talent show, we give awards say our good byes (BRING LOTS of Tissues) and have dessert.
Students will be leaving Aug 1st TBD. We will be taking the students back to the airport via motor coach- you will just need to drop off the student at the academic center that day.

The students speak English. Some better than others. The kids in China begin learning English in kindergarten.
It is broken English and they don't know slang - which makes it kinda fun. They are so cute and innocent.
This is a opportunity of a life time for them and you. These Chinese families save the money for a long time to be able for their child to come to America.
It usually takes one full years income (from one parent) to send them here to the USA.
These kids are SO respectful and willing to help and be a part of your family- they never want to go home to China. It breaks my heart to have to send them back and it is ALWAYS a tearful day at the SLC airport.

Your family is the MOST important part to this program.
If you are planning a trip to St George, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon etc.... the student can go with you.
Your family comes first before school before the activities before anything.
As long as I know where the students is they can go with you where ever. =)

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you

Kim Haines
Compass USA
Project Coordinator
801-755-5332
[EMAIL="khaines.compassusa@gmail.com"]khaines.compassusa@gmail.com[/EMAIL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah