Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times

Advertisements

Effort to cloak Utah liquor has eateries scrambling | The Salt Lake Tribune

Quote:
"Fears surrounding portions of the law were so acute that in March the state’s liquor-control commissioners took an unprecedented but unanimous step in asking Gov. Gary Herbert to veto the entire liquor package. He signed the legislation...

"...Said Commissioner Richard Sperry: “If licenses can be sold, it opens the potential for discrimination against small-business and mom-and-pop operations to be priced out of the market. And there could be pressure or undue influence on other small owners to sell."...

"...Our lawmakers have a penchant to monkey with things that aren’t broken,” said attorney Rick Golden, who has represented eateries applying for licenses. “What will happen is that people coming to Utah to open hotels or restaurants or to do business are going to think twice when they understand what the laws require of them. This is a horrible disservice to our state.”
i know a lot of utahns that laugh and roll their eyes at the idiotic legislations constantly enacted in places like san fransisco. but our super-intelligent representatives are doing the same stupid things, and all it is doing is hurting utahns and taking away opportunities and advantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
Effort to cloak Utah liquor has eateries scrambling | The Salt Lake Tribune

i know a lot of utahns that laugh and roll their eyes at the idiotic legislations constantly enacted in places like san fransisco. but our super-intelligent representatives are doing the same stupid things, and all it is doing is hurting utahns and taking away opportunities and advantages.
I think this is ridiculous.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 AM

25,699 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Fanatical "moral" agendas have a way of transforming otherwise intelligent people of sound mind into dullards.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,377 times
Just shows how clueless government is. As crazy as this is we were still voted the 20th freest state. Freedom in the 50 States | Mercatus

Old 06-11-2011, 10:19 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I think this is ridiculous.
assuming you mean the article, i agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Fanatical "moral" agendas have a way of transforming otherwise intelligent people of sound mind into dullards.
especially when they fly in the face of common sense and historical fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Just shows how clueless government is. As crazy as this is we were still voted the 20th freest state. Freedom in the 50 States | Mercatus
so about half way to tyranny?

just kidding. i personally believe that a certain level of social infrastructure has to be in place in government, but i'm not sure that the mob mentality the exists in government officials can handle any level of responsible, representative legislature.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post

so about half way to tyranny?

just kidding. i personally believe that a certain level of social infrastructure has to be in place in government, but i'm not sure that the mob mentality the exists in government officials can handle any level of responsible, representative legislature.
Freedom does include responsibility. I would bet Utah has moved up closer to the top in the last few years. Considering that a very active and influential segment of Utahs GOP is supporting Ron Paul, that is a very telling sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah